NEWS

Ship Laser + Banshee

• 19 Replies

Tester

« on: <09-05-10/0140:08> »
I'm only half joking about this. Yes... I want to mount a Winter Systems Mercury Ship Laser on a GMC Banshee. Let's not worry about Cost and Availability for the moment.

So the Banshee has 20 slots, the mount takes up between 4 and 11 slots.
You might be asking yourself what the problem is?
Well its a really big laser, its supposed to be on a ship so, the Banshee wouldn't be able to power the laser well or at all.
This is where I really like the mod Special Machinery, maybe Special Machinery (Batteries) or (Capacitors) or more likely Special Machinery (Reactor).

Thoughts? Laughs? Scathing Criticisms?

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #1 on: <09-05-10/0302:28> »
Well, theoretically you could mount the ship laser on the Banshee just fine.  It's all the fiddly bits and details that bog it down (like a power source, or targetting system, or lift fans capable of propelling the craft...etc.). ;D

The only sad thing is that they don't list weights for the weapons, otherwise we could get a better idea of how big the thing is.  Weight + slots would go a long way to visuallizing size.

I would say it is possible to mount the laser, just like it's possible to mount a 16 inch naval gun on an Abrams tank.  It's just not really practical.
There is no overkill.

Only "Open fire" and "I need to reload."

Kontact

• Prime Runner
  • You called?
« Reply #2 on: <09-06-10/0338:17> »
A banshee is a near-supersonic flying tank.

I don't see any problem with mounting a laser which is a scaled-up version of a hand-held device and expecting it to be powered by an engine which can send a flying brick like a T-bird to only 7m/s less than Mach 1. 

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #3 on: <09-06-10/0349:13> »
It doesn't work that way, Kontact.  Electrical generation from a turbine draws an immense amount of power off the turbine, which cannot be used to fly the T-bird.  So, unless you replace both the cargo and passenger compartments with either capacitors/battery or a second turbine+fuel to power the laser (which adds a LOT of weight) you would have to land the Banshee in order to fire the laser.
There is no overkill.

Kontact

• Prime Runner
  • You called?
« Reply #4 on: <09-06-10/1831:55> »
Weight is pretty relative when you're dealing with a vehicle which comes with 18 armor and has 20 expansion slots.

I really wouldn't get too close to logic or reason when dealing with a big block of steel that goes 98% of the speed of sound.  :D

Casazil

• Omae
  • There can be only one!
« Reply #5 on: <09-06-10/1851:01> »
You can buy a banshee with a reactor for it power supply can't you?

Of did they remove all the other power types in 4th?
"If at first you don't succeed blame someone else"
Joel "Casazil" Rogers
Catalyst Demo Team Shadowrun Special Agent #251
http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/CasazilsShadowrun/

Caine Hazen

• Global Moderator
  • Omae
  • Dumpshocker Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: <09-06-10/2209:55> »
No, in most cases the whole "power type" and realism to roominess are kinda fudged in SR4.  So since the laser obviously contains all the power generation and whatnot, once its fit intop the heavy reinforced turret, its all good to go on the banshee.  Unless you have a GM how looks at you funny and just goes "No"  ;D
If you try and take a cat apart to see how it works, the first thing you have on your hands is a non-working cat~DNA
SRGC 0.3: SR1 SR2 SR3 SR4++ h b+++ B--- D++ UB++ IE+ RN-- fnord DSF++++ W++++ hk+ ri++ m gm++ M--(+) P FP+

Casazil

• Omae
  • There can be only one!
« Reply #7 on: <09-07-10/0510:17> »
No, in most cases the whole "power type" and realism to roominess are kinda fudged in SR4.  So since the laser obviously contains all the power generation and whatnot, once its fit intop the heavy reinforced turret, its all good to go on the banshee.  Unless you have a GM how looks at you funny and just goes "No"  ;D

Well like I said in another thread they can fudge it all day long cause when we get a 4th edition rigger book I'm gonna start lookin for 5th edition to come out as rigger books seem to kill editions.
Joel "Casazil" Rogers

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #8 on: <09-07-10/0608:20> »
Weight is pretty relative when you're dealing with a vehicle which comes with 18 armor and has 20 expansion slots.

I really wouldn't get too close to logic or reason when dealing with a big block of steel that goes 98% of the speed of sound.  :D
Heh, they made a brick fly supersonic (the F-4 Phantom), so I'm pretty sure the Banshee isn't terribly unrealistic for 2070.

The Banshee is roughly equivalent to a light tank, isn't it (apart from the flying thing)?  I can see it mounting the vehicle laser.  The ship laser is what I find a bit problematic, and only a little bit.  If it comes with an integral capacitor to store power for firing (enough for 40 shots), then I might see it being mounted.  But, honestly, there are more cost effective ways to produce firepower.  None as cool, I'll grant you.

@Casazil
Yeah, I haven't seen any alternative power sources available, yet.  So it's electric or fossil fuel propelled.  A rigger book (pleasepleaseplease call it the "Rigger's Black Book) would likely have more power options.
There is no overkill.

Casazil

• Omae
  • There can be only one!
« Reply #9 on: <09-07-10/0611:25> »
Nah it'll be the Hacker's Black Book cause Riggers and Hackers are the same now.....Ducks an runs for cover! ;)
Joel "Casazil" Rogers

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #10 on: <09-07-10/0855:40> »
I know a few Hackers that are working their way to your offshore bank accounts right now Casazil...  >:(

Dead Monky

• Omae
  • I demand tacos!
« Reply #11 on: <09-07-10/1628:27> »
I like the idea.  Sounds like fun.  I may have to have my rigger get to work on it.  Her last project was a Dodge Scoot with rocket boosts and a minigun on the front.  Not very practical, but a hell of a lot of fun.

Casazil

• Omae
  • There can be only one!
« Reply #12 on: <09-07-10/2011:03> »
I know a few Hackers that are working their way to your offshore bank accounts right now Casazil...  >:(

Bah they have to get past Magus's horde of Techno's as I have his money too lol
Joel "Casazil" Rogers

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #13 on: <09-07-10/2058:15> »
After the comment about Hackers & Riggers, they're helping us clean out your account.

Casazil

• Omae
  • There can be only one!
« Reply #14 on: <09-07-10/2059:54> »
Not with what I have on them they aren't
Joel "Casazil" Rogers