NEWS

Creating a New Weapon

• 30 Replies

Devil

• Omae
« on: <10-13-10/1036:56> »
I'm trying to make a new weapon for the character I'm creating. How do I go about this? Are there rules or specific guidelines for it? Where can I find them? Has anyone here done it before? If so then how? I need info on weapon or other gear creation please.
« Last Edit: <10-13-10/1236:04> by Joker »

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #1 on: <10-13-10/1058:06> »
For weapons, you'll need the Armorer skill. I'd break down the difficulties as below:

WeaponDiff/ThresholdInterval
Most melee weaponsSimple/230 min
Basic melee weapons (ext. baton)Basic/41 day
Exotic melee weapons (swords)Complex/81 day
Street Sweeper/Streetline SpecialComplex/81 hour
Most pistols/riflesIntricate/121 week
Automatic weaponsExotic/161 week
Exotic ranged weaponsExotic/20+1 month

Simple weapons can be built without tools. Basic weapons would require a kit to build. Complex and intricate weapons require a shop, while exotic weapons need a facility.

The Build/Repair tables on SR4A, p. 138 should help, as well Weapons Modification section in Arsenal, p. 148.

Devil

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <10-13-10/1235:40> »
Thanks. I appreciate it. I didn't realize the armorer skill was for that too. Hopefully I'll be able to finally get this figured out. :D
« Last Edit: <10-13-10/1237:19> by Joker »

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #3 on: <10-13-10/1247:59> »
What is it you're trying to make?

Devil

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <10-13-10/1310:58> »
Stiletto gun cane for a magician.

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #5 on: <10-13-10/1325:38> »
For the stiletto gun cane we were discussing in the other thread (before it got hopelessly derailed--sorry 'bout that ;)); I'd probably put it at an Intricate test (shop required) with a threshold of 16 (+4 for mounting the 'pop-out' blade).

inca1980

• Ace Runner
« Reply #6 on: <10-13-10/1336:23> »
But joker said it's during character creation.  Wouldn't you have to create the character first and then during your first shadowrun, get together with the GM and make the tests or have someone who does have the skill make the modification like a contact or somebody. 

If I was GM, I would houserule that if you bought the skill with BP, then do a diminishing dicepool armorer extended test, and then add the material costs and I'd let you have it at character creation if you passed the test.  Otherwise you'd have to use up game-time, and that would also incur life-style and other upkeep costs for the time spent doing the mod, but then I wouldn't make it a diminishing dicepool unless I deemed the task way beyond your skill level.  Maybe i'd cap the rolls, but I wouldn't make it a diminishing test. 

Devil

• Omae
« Reply #7 on: <10-13-10/1345:31> »
Couldn't I just have an armorer contact or something? Is there any way I can just pay for this thing instead of personally making it? :-\

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #8 on: <10-13-10/1427:26> »
You could use an Armorer contact to build it for you. Use the Mechanic (SR4A, p. 291) as a basis for the Armorer type, giving him a skill rating of Armorer 4. Now, with Logic + Armor of 8, he can buy two hits per test, meaning that he could "phone it in" and get you a respectable gun-cane in 8 weeks. It might take more/less time if he rolls for it, and you can get him to rush the job (SR4A, p 65) to get it with an interval of 3.5 days.

Inv Castle Test

Using the rolls here, your contact could get you the gun cane in 7 weeks. Or 5 weeks if rushed (since 1-2 glitches, there was a critical glitch on the third interval and he had to restart) AND there was a glitch on the 4th test of the rush job, meaning that it might still be delayed, or their might be something wrong with the function of the cane that could adversely affect you in the future (it only effectively fires 1 out of 6 times, or the pop-out blade gets jammed easily and needs to be repaired to pop-out again).

Devil

• Omae
« Reply #9 on: <10-13-10/1457:28> »
Could you do this kinda thing in character creation? Since I hope to start play with the weapon.

Also, how would I determine cost?

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #10 on: <10-13-10/1513:48> »
During character creation, I'd just figure out the price. I'd start with an average hold-out pistol (Fichetti Self-Defender - 350¥),  a blade (20¥) then add in the cost of a cane (~10¥) and finally the cost of the work (Intricate/16 * 20¥† = 320¥). About 700¥?

†Total guesswork. There's nothing listed that to base the cost off the skill level involved.

Devil

• Omae
« Reply #11 on: <10-13-10/1517:13> »
Well a gun cane actually already exists in Arsenal. Would it be better to use that and a blade?

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #12 on: <10-13-10/1540:21> »
To modify that, I'd put it at the base 750¥ + 20¥ (Bayonet Mount) + 130¥ (Spring-load blade & make it concealable) = 900¥

It's generally cheaper to build from scratch than to modify existing since you're not breaking down and 're-working' components that already work.

Devil

• Omae
« Reply #13 on: <10-13-10/1545:54> »
Does that include the cost of the work?

And just to be clear, I would need a contact to do this, right?

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #14 on: <10-13-10/1551:51> »
I'd say that you'd have to have a contact do this for you, to show the time and effort you put into getting it. Especially since either it's built for scratch, or you've convinced a Gunsmith to convert a Trafalgar Gun Cane (which doesn't accept accessories, so it's tough to make modifications).