NEWS

Hidden Blades

• 38 Replies

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #15 on: <10-11-10/0902:10> »
Lasers ass well as few other thinks requiring an exotic weapons skill makes no sense what so ever.
Its not like pulling a trigger of a laser pistol is a totally different from pulling the trigger of a normal pistol.
Oh, it's VERY different.

Pulling the trigger of a laser has no recoil at all. It is instantaneous and it is continuous. You fire a laser (as it's intended in SR), and you don't have to brace your hand to soak the jerk of the gun firing. You hold down the trigger and the beam continues to burn anything in its path, friends or foes and the laser is NOT visible except when it "paints" the target; you have to make sure friends are no where near it's path.

Devil

• Omae
« Reply #16 on: <10-11-10/1053:36> »
Are we talking about a blade that pops out of the end of a cane or a blade at the top that you pull out along with part of the cane? For the second I'd agree you don't need an exotic skill. The first is different enough in balance and striking area that I'd say you have to. You can't use the usual blade moves with as much effect with the pop out blade.

What I was thinking is that the blade could curve inward, fitting inside the bottom end of the cane, but sitting outside the barrel of the gun. Basically it would be between the two.

To help you picture it, if someone were stabbed by it they would have wound that looks like the sliver of the moon (crescent).

I'm also talking about something knife sized, not these swords and stuff you're talking about.

Also, a sword cane is no more difficult to use than any other sword. They are just usually a bit on the short side, Angelone.

Effectively it's a gun cane with a stiletto on the end.

You seem to be really into making the simplest weapons into exotics. If a spear isn't exotic then this thing sure as hell isn't. It's pretty much a stick that you can make sharp or not sharp. Even a toddler can jab someone with a stick. It's built in human instinct. Take another look at what melee weapons are exotic. Usually they require a completely unique fighting style.

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #17 on: <10-11-10/1107:12> »
Basically, it's a gun cane with a bayonet on the end.

Meh... I just don't really see the point. The whole idea behind the gun cane is surprise them by shooting them with a hidden gun. If you're in melee, hitting them with a blade on the end of the cane is the difference between slashing and bludgeoning damage. In my opinion, I'd just leave it as a gun cane and hit them upside the head if they get too close. <shrug>

Angelone

• Ace Runner
  • A decent perfection
« Reply #18 on: <10-11-10/1112:30> »
The blade is U shaped around the barrel. It would be a spear not a sword, you wouldn't be able to sword fight with it. What you are proposing is not only weighted differently than most blades it has a completely different "business end".

Maybe you could fence with it. It's a very specialized weapon.

PS- What FastJack said.
REJOICE! For bad things are about to happen.
la vida no vale nada

Codac

• Chummer
« Reply #19 on: <10-11-10/1230:57> »
From what I'm understanding here he doesn't want it to sword fight with he wants it to be a small blade at the end that will pop out and stab someone.
"You Metahumans and your emotions are quite inefficient." ~Codac

"I am the Matrix." ~Codac

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #20 on: <10-11-10/1232:19> »
I understand that, but if your that close to some and carrying a cane, just whack 'em on the head with the cane. ;)

Devil

• Omae
« Reply #21 on: <10-11-10/1245:43> »
I know enough about blades to know whether it's exotic or not. That's not what I am trying to determine. What I don't know is an issue of game mechanics. I'll try to be more clear.

If I wanted to make such a thing how would I do it?

Something like this?

Gun Cane:
Custom Look
Underbarrel Weapon: Snap Blade
Melee Hardening

Is there a better way?

See, one of the problems is that underbarrel weapons mess up your gun cane concealability. I need the blade to be hidden as well.

Fastjack, if I was aiming for effectiveness over roleplay would I really be using a Gun Cane? Lol. I don't usually build characters to be optimal. That's boring. I prefer stylistic unconventional concepts that capture people's attention, but remain realistic to the setting.

And yes, he will be capable of whacking people in the head too, but the knife will still be useful to have. Sometimes as a utility, Sometimes as a weapon.

He'll also have a small spring loaded blade on his wrist, mostly for escape artist purposes. So, if it's not possible to stick a blade on his cane, at least he'll have that.

KarmaInferno

• Ace Runner
  • Armor Stacking Cheese Monkey
« Reply #22 on: <10-12-10/0038:23> »
Lasers ass well as few other thinks requiring an exotic weapons skill makes no sense what so ever.
Its not like pulling a trigger of a laser pistol is a totally different from pulling the trigger of a normal pistol.

Um. I'll just say that if you think that shooting is just pulling a trigger, then you don't know much about shooting.

The trigger pull is just the last step in a series of events.

Those events will definitely be different between a firearm and a laser.

-k

Kontact

• Prime Runner
  • You called?
« Reply #23 on: <10-12-10/0153:47> »
The reason Lasers use exotic weapon proficiency is because they are hands down better than mass driver pistols.  It has nothing to do with how they work, and everything to do with how the rules work.

That is one of the two reasons why things are made exotic.  In fact, Gauss rifles should  be exotic too since they halve armor.

A cane with a pop-out blade like The Penguin's unbrella blade isn't particularly different from a rapier.

FoxBoy

• Chummer
« Reply #24 on: <10-12-10/0224:48> »
Have you thought about monowire instead?

Small reel of it at the end of the cane, and the control weight is the rubber bumper. Hit one switch and the reel unwinds, giving you an exotic, and deadly melee weapon. Hit a second, and the reel and weight both fall off so you unveil the gun barrel.

Devil

• Omae
« Reply #25 on: <10-12-10/0302:40> »
I dont care for loose monowire weapons. Too unpredictable and lacking the utility uses of a knife.

Mäx

• Ace Runner
« Reply #26 on: <10-12-10/0407:30> »
Um. I'll just say that if you think that shooting is just pulling a trigger, then you don't know much about shooting.
With a laser pistol you first aim at the target and then pull the trigger same as any other pistol.
Yeah in practise its more complicated then that, but shooting a laser pistol doesn't need anykind of special training over shooting a conventional weapon.
I can't believe that your trying to claim with a straight face that shooting a laser pistol is somehow a totally different kind of action then shooting a normal pistol and requires a totally different set of skills.
"An it harm none, do what you will"

Devil

• Omae
« Reply #27 on: <10-12-10/0535:03> »
Can we stop talking about laser pistols and maybe discuss the answer to my question?

Kontact

• Prime Runner
  • You called?
« Reply #28 on: <10-12-10/0620:29> »
Nevers!  (I thought you answered your own question pretty well really.  Underbarrel snap blade modification + melee hardening with custom look covering the whole "why this doesn't look like a bracer duct-taped to a cane" thing.  If you're going to make a new weapon, there's going to be some GM fiat in there.)

Maybe you have to depress the trigger on a laser pistol for a moment before it actually fires, so you have to keep your concentration, not on the trigger pull, but on what follows after the trigger pull?

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #29 on: <10-12-10/0850:54> »
Sorry, Joker, just have to point out one more thing on the gun/laser:

Bullet's speed: 180–1500 m/s
Laser's speed: 299,792,458 m/s

Bullet: Mechanical
Laser: Electronic

Bullet: Physical impact
Laser: Chemical reaction (super-focus light burns target)