NEWS

Enhanced Senses Critter Power

• 7 Replies

inca1980

• Ace Runner
« on: <10-08-10/1853:54> »
How does the enhanced senses critter power work?  Namely, if i'm making a vampire character with enhanced senses power....let's just say we're talking about enhanced hearing, how does that work?  Under perception test modifiers, it says under "Perciever has active enhancements" that it's "+rating"....but what would be the "rating" of the enhanced senses power?  It doesn't say under the power in the critter section.  I've been just making it rating 1, but maybe i'm missing a rule that says that I can make it more than that.

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #1 on: <10-08-10/1913:53> »
It doesn't look like there's a ruling on it. I'd probably house rule it at one like you did.

Might want to bring it up in the Errata or Mission FAQ threads.

Ultra Violet

• Omae
  • Child of the Matrix
« Reply #2 on: <10-08-10/1916:58> »
You find your answer at page 205 of the Running Wild.

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #3 on: <10-08-10/1921:19> »
Actually, it just says "Improved hearing and smell", same as SR4A. I'm thinking it is the same as the Adept's Improved Sense power (SR4A, p 196), but even that doesn't say what rating something like Audio Enhancement would be. For instance, do you spend .75 PP to get Rating 3 Enhancement, or .25 PP since it's a single improvement?

Ultra Violet

• Omae
  • Child of the Matrix
« Reply #4 on: <10-08-10/1930:44> »
Quote from: RW, Clearing the fog, Enhanced Senses (p. 205)
When a critter has enhanced senses for a sense that it would normally possess, such as Enhanced Hearing for a hell hound, it receives a +2 dice pool modifier to Perception Tests.
There is more written but I don't want to post the whole text.

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #5 on: <10-08-10/1935:43> »
LOL... I was reading the Enhanced Senses power on p. 204 and missed the entry on 205.

Quote from: Running Wild, p 205
Enhanced Senses
     Many enhanced senses provide additional senses that the creature did not have before. These senses are treated as natural, unaugmented senses when determining modifiers for Perception Tests. When a critter has enhanced senses for a sense that it would normally possess, such as Enhanced Hearing for a hell hound, it receives a +2 dice pool modifier to Perception Tests. An enhanced sense may also provide the critter with new uses for skills. Enhanced Scent, for example, allows a trained critter to track a person or prey by scent alone. Scent tracking uses Tracking + Intuition. Thresholds and dice pool modifiers are provided.
     Enhanced senses include a wide spectrum of abilities throughout the animal kingdom. If the sense has not been described by one of the powers in this book, they can also be used to mimic cyberware implants or natural abilities of critters not covered. In these cases, gamemasters should determine the exact abilities and limitations of a specific sense when introducing it to the game.

Ultra Violet

• Omae
  • Child of the Matrix
« Reply #6 on: <10-08-10/1939:52> »
Quote from: CGL FAQ
I took Improved Sense (Smell)—how exactly does that work?

Improved Sense works like the Enhanced Sense Critter Power (p. 205, Running Wild), and the relevant rules are reproduced below:

Many enhanced senses provide additional senses that the adept did not have before. These senses are treated as natural, unaugmented senses when determining modifiers for Perception Tests. When an adept has enhanced senses for a sense that it would normally possess, such as Enhanced Hearing, it receives a +2 dice pool modifier to Perception Tests. An enhanced sense may also provide the adept with new uses for skills. Enhanced Scent, for example, allows an adept to track a person or prey by scent alone. Scent tracking uses Tracking + Intuition. Thresholds and dice pool modifiers are provided.
    Enhanced senses include a wide spectrum of abilities beyond normal metahuman limits, such as Direction Sense. If the sense has not been described by an existing power, they can also be used to mimic cyberware implants or natural abilities of critters not covered. In these cases, gamemasters should determine the exact abilities and limitations of a specific sense when introducing it to the game.

When an adept buys an Improved Sense on a power that has multiple levels (e.g., vision enhancement or sound filter) are they purchased as levels or does the adept gain the max value for just 0.25 points?

The effective rating of the power is equivalent to the maximum rating of the equivalent cyberware or bioware implant.
Lucky for us... there is your whole answer.

« Last Edit: <10-08-10/1942:36> by Ultra Violet »

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...