NEWS

2050 Shadowrun PDF is out

• 64 Replies

Frankie the Fomori

• Omae
« Reply #15 on: <07-18-12/1016:34> »
The stuff that I am not happy with comes from PC creation guidelines. Or the lack of them:( there is a smallish paragraph that pretty much says use SR4a and there is no Technomancers. Nothing is said about Race types, qualities, if the starting funds are larger or not. Even when I am not playing I have always kept up with the game and it's story line. But there could be massive numbers of players and GM's only knowing about the current arc. So Joe or Jane smith could go about make a changeling street Sam and try to sit down at the game table. Where I would know that they came with the comet and restrict myself normally. This is information I feel should have been in the book.
Dunno. Applying the SR4a sourcebooks to this directly would be troublesome at best, and last time i checked changelings and such are not in SR4a directly.

Thing is you will find SR4a Sourcebook qualities on there Archtypes. So I know that the intent was to include some of all the content published to date.

I think I have not been clear on the positive sides of the book, it is well written. It has great new fluff for the three cities found inside (instead of allot of information from original sourcebooks creeping back inside). Fiction's are great reads, leaving me hoping novel will follow regarding the people involved.

My one massive hick up is that without some way to balance the money issue for the other Archtypes you could not sit down at a table with this product and SR4a and run a game.  After creating a PC with expanded funds (1,000,000) I found you get a Street Sam who is to strong. spending 688K (I do not think I added the eyes ears and link to this) he ends up with inhancements of Muscle Toner and augmentation level 4 (w/ restricted gearx2), Synaptic booster level 3, pain editor, supra thyroid gland, Dermal plating level 3 [Alpha] (no need for Restricted gear for these), cyber eyes and ears, Smart link. This is so much more then what you would get in 2072...... so I am not sure what to do?

PS: please excuse spelling, need to run of to Doc appointment and did not have time to spell check in word.

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #16 on: <07-18-12/1057:46> »
*sniff*

Hatchetman's in the book.

I promised myself I wouldn't cry.

Mara

• Ace Runner
« Reply #17 on: <07-18-12/1148:07> »
*sniff*

So is Matador.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #18 on: <07-18-12/1204:59> »
*sniff*

So is Matador.
And once again, I think a 'Fallen Heroes' book in the style of Street Legends would be AWESOME!
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #19 on: <07-18-12/1323:40> »
The stuff that I am not happy with comes from PC creation guidelines. Or the lack of them:( there is a smallish paragraph that pretty much says use SR4a and there is no Technomancers. Nothing is said about Race types, qualities, if the starting funds are larger or not. Even when I am not playing I have always kept up with the game and it's story line. But there could be massive numbers of players and GM's only knowing about the current arc. So Joe or Jane smith could go about make a changeling street Sam and try to sit down at the game table. Where I would know that they came with the comet and restrict myself normally. This is information I feel should have been in the book.
Dunno. Applying the SR4a sourcebooks to this directly would be troublesome at best, and last time i checked changelings and such are not in SR4a directly.

Thing is you will find SR4a Sourcebook qualities on there Archtypes. So I know that the intent was to include some of all the content published to date.

I think I have not been clear on the positive sides of the book, it is well written. It has great new fluff for the three cities found inside (instead of allot of information from original sourcebooks creeping back inside). Fiction's are great reads, leaving me hoping novel will follow regarding the people involved.

My one massive hick up is that without some way to balance the money issue for the other Archtypes you could not sit down at a table with this product and SR4a and run a game.  After creating a PC with expanded funds (1,000,000) I found you get a Street Sam who is to strong. spending 688K (I do not think I added the eyes ears and link to this) he ends up with inhancements of Muscle Toner and augmentation level 4 (w/ restricted gearx2), Synaptic booster level 3, pain editor, supra thyroid gland, Dermal plating level 3 [Alpha] (no need for Restricted gear for these), cyber eyes and ears, Smart link. This is so much more then what you would get in 2072...... so I am not sure what to do?

PS: please excuse spelling, need to run of to Doc appointment and did not have time to spell check in word.

From my experiences, the Street Sam was ahead of the curve early on back in third, but once the karma started rolling in, the Awakened peeps started catching up. Personally, I don't have a problem with that (I did Street Sam and Mage back then.)

As to the Suprathyroid, I do believe that I'm going to start ruling the availability across the board with respect to time frame as the same as in the 2050 book, but I feel 20F is ludicrous for it.
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

Mystic

• Freelancer
  • Omae
  • Word Mercenary
« Reply #20 on: <07-18-12/1634:12> »
*sniff*

*sniff*

So is Matador.

I can't say how much fun I had writing them in that section. I just hope I did them justice.  :)
Bringing chaos, mayhem, and occasionally cookies to the Sixth World since 2052!

"Just because it's easy for you doesn't mean it can't be hard on your clients"-Rule 38, The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries, Schlock Mercenary.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #21 on: <07-18-12/1647:15> »
You did. Though I will second one of the earlier poster's comment about wishing the old Shadowland format was there. Seeing the Laughing Man without that "HA! Fragging HA!" line just doesn't have the same oomph.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Mystic

• Freelancer
  • Omae
  • Word Mercenary
« Reply #22 on: <07-18-12/1702:19> »
You did. Though I will second one of the earlier poster's comment about wishing the old Shadowland format was there. Seeing the Laughing Man without that "HA! Fragging HA!" line just doesn't have the same oomph.

My origional draft did have the old time-date stamps, but I think they were taken out to save the sanity of the editors, proofers, and the layout people.  8)
Bringing chaos, mayhem, and occasionally cookies to the Sixth World since 2052!

"Just because it's easy for you doesn't mean it can't be hard on your clients"-Rule 38, The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries, Schlock Mercenary.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #23 on: <07-18-12/1740:40> »
Sanity's overrated.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Black

• Ace Runner
  • Rocking the Shadows since 1990
« Reply #24 on: <07-18-12/1936:45> »
Sanity is a one trick pony. Give me insanity any day of the week. Everyday is an adventure!

Still reading the book, absorbing it all. Need to consider impacts to my current 2050 game.
Great opening fiction!
Perception molds reality
Change perception and reality will follow
SR1+SR2+SR3++SR4+hb+++B?UB+IE+W+sa+m-gmM--P

raggedhalo

• Omae
« Reply #25 on: <07-18-12/1940:25> »
Since we're being old-school - is the Availability limit for starting gear back to 6 like it was in the old days?  If so, that reduced amount of starting money is suddenly less of a problem  ;)
Joe Rooney
Freelancer (Missions and otherwise: here's my stuff, plus CMP 2011-05 Burn Notice)

My Obsidian Portal profile

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #26 on: <07-18-12/2011:05> »
Since we're being old-school - is the Availability limit for starting gear back to 6 like it was in the old days?  If so, that reduced amount of starting money is suddenly less of a problem  ;)

Last time I looked at my core book for third, the availability limit was the same as fourth. Are you saying it was lower in 1 and 2?

Frankie the Fomori

• Omae
« Reply #27 on: <07-18-12/2054:40> »
As remarked by JHardy on the front page.

"It’s a different environment, and it calls for different balancing of your skills, attributes, and gear. Remember that the NPCs you face will be functioning with the same limits."

So in short there is no fix. I feel so many bitter thoughts about this, but the freelancers worked so hard to put out so many beautiful pieces of work that this book contains. I do not want to cheapen there good work with a negative attitude.

So certain archetypes Could start out with a negative curve, we as fans can come up with somthing that helps other players and GM's not have to worry over it. We can put it in a PDF format here or Over on dumpshock so everyone can have access.

Now I know 1,000,000 is to much, hell 600k+ seems to much. But there has to be a balance of funds? Also we can make a list of positive and negative qualities that are appropriate for this time period? Hope everyone has a good day, I have decided I am going to enjoy the hell out of this product.

Had a quick thought, I will pull apart there archetypes and see how many BP they are and the amount of funds they use. This could lead us to a happy medium?

Teutonic Overlord

• Administrator
  • Omae
« Reply #28 on: <07-18-12/2202:41> »

Last time I looked at my core book for third, the availability limit was the same as fourth. Are you saying it was lower in 1 and 2?

I just pulled out my 1st ed book and there was no such thing as availability.  2nd has availability, but, per page 46, availability is ignored during character creation.  The limit was that no gear could have a rating higher than 6.
Ray Rigel
Former Shadowrun Missions Developer and Event Coordinator
Catalyst Demo Team

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #29 on: <07-18-12/2221:45> »

I just pulled out my 1st ed book and there was no such thing as availability.  2nd has availability, but, per page 46, availability is ignored during character creation.  The limit was that no gear could have a rating higher than 6.

Hmm, seeing that little tidbit about 2nd edition explains why my first SR GM didn't even bother mentioning availability to me when I set up my first character even though it was in 3rd. He must've been used to 2nd.