NEWS

Day Job Quality

• 11 Replies

cyclonus743

• Newb
  • Is this whats left of the mighty Decepticons
« on: <10-04-10/1436:46> »
The Day Job quality came up recently in my group.  Specifically what about modifiers based on education qualities.  Since for the most part the day job pay is one sizes fits all.  And some think that level of education should count.  I was just wondering what thoughts there are on this.

My thought on is was that its likely the way it is because a range based on education is not needed because people whole get payed less would probably quit their day job when to go into the shadows and big executives who would be payed more that the rate in the book probably wouldn't quit their safe jobs to go risk life and limb as a runner
« Last Edit: <10-04-10/1438:24> by cyclonus743 »
Note to all you rich corp slugs out there: the Redmond Barrans is no place to take your brand new drek hot sports car out for a spin.
Belial's Bio: http://forums.shadowrun4.com/index.php?topic=79.msg7814#msg7814
Aliases: http://incompetech.com/gallimaufry/mstnames.html

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #1 on: <10-04-10/1546:33> »
It really depends on what the Day Job is, what sort of business it is, how the player and GM communicated to define it.  I know a guy with a Master's degree who's waiting tables, IRL, y'know?  An education isn't a guarantee of a high paying job.

Irian

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <10-04-10/1547:31> »
It's a negative quality. If it was a "You have a great job where you earn lots of money", it would COST points. :-)
GMTool - PreAlpha released (also on SourceForge)
Random Ramblings about Shadowrun (german only)

cyclonus743

• Newb
  • Is this whats left of the mighty Decepticons
« Reply #3 on: <10-04-10/1557:08> »
The question was about a character who's day job is a doctor.  We've since come up with that she's a street doc or some such.
Note to all you rich corp slugs out there: the Redmond Barrans is no place to take your brand new drek hot sports car out for a spin.
Belial's Bio: http://forums.shadowrun4.com/index.php?topic=79.msg7814#msg7814
Aliases: http://incompetech.com/gallimaufry/mstnames.html

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #4 on: <10-04-10/1618:48> »
Illegal Day Jobs are the easiest ones to explain away, concerning their pay rate.  She's an illegal, black market, back alley, patch-up artist.  She's got to pay off local gangs for "security" and "protection," has to pay some local hackers to rig up power and running water, has to pay off Knight Errant to look the other way, has to have some muscle on-hand to try and get payment from the two-bit razorboys and wannabe gillettes that pay her to give 'em new muscles, has to bribe at least one legitimate medical supply company to get parts in stock, and might even still be throwing nuyen hand over first at med school student loans.

Sure, maybe she's a full-on trained MD, and could be getting carted around town in a stretch limo Mercedes, doing cosmetic surgery for superstars and high roller executives...but she's not.  She's a grimy, dirty, two-bit, illegal, street doc.  Of course she's lucky to make ends meet and still bring home a couple bucks here and there!

Devil

• Omae
« Reply #5 on: <10-04-10/2040:54> »
It's a negative quality. If it was a "You have a great job where you earn lots of money", it would COST points. :-)

Actually the negative aspect is suppose to be that it eats up your time and pops up at annoying times. It never says anything about the jobs being unpleasant in any way.
"Sorry guys, I can't go. I'm at work."

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #6 on: <10-08-10/1234:06> »
In the above example she could be either a street doc or work at a legitimate clinic which eats up a lot of free time.  They pay some decent cash, but nothing like shadowrunning.
There is no overkill.

Only "Open fire" and "I need to reload."

Chaotic Insane

• Omae
« Reply #7 on: <10-08-10/1957:59> »
I will personally attest to the fact that just because someone has a day job doesn't mean that they have to have any sort of an education at all. My guess is there's probably a single freaking brain cell between the entire night stock crew that they trade around like the fates' eye. SO. STUPID.

And a legal day job also has the fun of usually needing some sort of documentation. Not only do people tend to see you for your shifts and recognize you more, but if they're this anal about having valid social security numbers now (guess who found out she lost her social security card AT the interview and they wouldn't accept a single other official government issued statement with her number BUT that stupid card? THIS IDIOT. And I had to have a state ID since my school picture ID didn't count for squat), you can bet they'll need at least a very damn good fake sin then. Having a "real job" when you're trying to do something less than legal is not a good idea. You don't exactly want to be sneaking into someplace and have the door guard you're trying to fool go "Didn't I buy my soycaff from you this morning at the stuffer shack?"
"People say I hate the living. It's not true. I just happen to see the potential inside all people; those great things anyone can do if they aren't trapped in their own consciousness and morals. And when I unlock that potential, death is the side-effect. I can't help that." - Dr. McMourning

Angelone

• Ace Runner
  • A decent perfection
« Reply #8 on: <10-08-10/2025:53> »
That's when you shoot them. Right in the face. I suppose you could hit em with Laes too but that's kinda pricey. I usually wear a disguse when I run so it's not a big deal. Although it just gave me a nasty little idea about disguising myself as people I don't like to get them in trouble, like that annoying Stuffer Shack clerk... hmm...  8)

You could also get under the table day jobs. Day job dock worker or migrant worker something like that.
REJOICE! For bad things are about to happen.
la vida no vale nada

Devil

• Omae
« Reply #9 on: <10-08-10/2047:38> »
Wear a mask or helmet when you run.

Also there's a spell that makes people lose their memory.

FoxBoy

• Chummer
« Reply #10 on: <10-10-10/1900:41> »
If it's the spell I think it is, then the spell takes time to cast, and even then, you might find out there's a witness to your crime 6 months down the road because their memory came back.

Laes is alot better for that.

Devil

• Omae
« Reply #11 on: <10-10-10/1907:19> »
That's when you shoot them. Right in the face. I suppose you could hit em with Laes too but that's kinda pricey. I usually wear a disguse when I run so it's not a big deal. Although it just gave me a nasty little idea about disguising myself as people I don't like to get them in trouble, like that annoying Stuffer Shack clerk... hmm...  8)

You could also get under the table day jobs. Day job dock worker or migrant worker something like that.

You should be able to. I'd ask my GM if I were you though, because the quality clearly states its for SINners and people with fake SINs only.

Also, dock workers and migrant workers don't really have steady jobs that always follow the same schedule.
« Last Edit: <10-10-10/1911:32> by Joker »