NEWS

What the drek did Harlequin do?

• 35 Replies

Marzhin

• Omae
  • I must confess, I was born at a very early age.
« Reply #30 on: <08-22-16/1039:03> »
Johnny 99 willingly sacrificed himself to help level out the spike point and stop the horrors from coming through. Bull was pissed because he felt that Harley never once thought about sacrificing HIMSELF. That may be true, but Harlequin is also playing a completely different game with much MUCH higher stakes that Bull couldn't possibly comprehend. Johnny understood why it had to be done, which is probably why he willfully sacrificed himself.

Yeah I know the story, it's the fact it contradicts what was explained in the Harlequin's Back campaign (that runners choosing to sacrifice themselves at the end would not actually die) that I had an issue with. Gameplay and story segregation, if you will. But at least it seems the idea that one runner didn't make it back was at least mentioned already in Worlds Without End. So we now know that anonymous runner was probably Johnny (even if that's probably more a lucky coincidence than some kind of master plan from the writers ^^)

Bull was pissed because he felt that Harley never once thought about sacrificing HIMSELF.

Aina actually calls Caimbeul out on that very same topic in the novel. Not because she would have wanted him to sacrifice himself, more to deflate his ego a bit.

Which makes me sadder than Aina is dead (...is she?) as she was the only capable of putting Harlequin back on track when he was acting like a jerk.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.
(Groucho Marx)

RowanTheFox

• Omae
« Reply #31 on: <08-22-16/1047:00> »
Johnny 99 willingly sacrificed himself to help level out the spike point and stop the horrors from coming through. Bull was pissed because he felt that Harley never once thought about sacrificing HIMSELF. That may be true, but Harlequin is also playing a completely different game with much MUCH higher stakes that Bull couldn't possibly comprehend. Johnny understood why it had to be done, which is probably why he willfully sacrificed himself.

Yeah I know the story, it's the fact it contradicts what was explained in the Harlequin's Back campaign (that runners choosing to sacrifice themselves at the end would not actually die) that I had an issue with. Gameplay and story segregation, if you will. But at least it seems the idea that one runner didn't make it back was at least mentioned already in Worlds Without End. So we now know that anonymous runner was probably Johnny (even if that's probably more a lucky coincidence than some kind of master plan from the writers ^^)

Bull was pissed because he felt that Harley never once thought about sacrificing HIMSELF.

Aina actually calls Caimbeul out on that very same topic in the novel. Not because she would have wanted him to sacrifice himself, more to deflate his ego a bit.

Which makes me sadder than Aina is dead (...is she?) as she was the only capable of putting Harlequin back on track when he was acting like a jerk.

I, unfortunately, have not had the time to read any of the novels. I'm running entirely on what is mentioned in the sourcebooks and the Wiki. I'm pretty sure Aina isn't coming back, but I can see her fighting side by side with Dunkie on the bridge.
It is better to be crazy and know it, than to be sane and have one's doubts.

"Nothing is wrong if no one can stop you."

Remember, you're only a genius when they need you. The rest of the time you're just an asshole.

Well, drek. Looks like Timmy fell into the Dissonance Well again.

Marzhin

• Omae
  • I must confess, I was born at a very early age.
« Reply #32 on: <08-22-16/1222:54> »
I, unfortunately, have not had the time to read any of the novels. I'm running entirely on what is mentioned in the sourcebooks and the Wiki. I'm pretty sure Aina isn't coming back, but I can see her fighting side by side with Dunkie on the bridge.

Back in the Clutch of Dragons, there were a couple of off-hand comments that she might not be completely gone and may have become... something else.

Quote from: Clutch of Dragons, p.136
While his activities are varied, (Harlequin) is rather focused on the Watergate Incident and the fallout, especially in regards to what happened to Aina. He is beginning to suspect that she may be something beside dead, but he is not yet clear on what that might be. He very much wants to know, though.

Quote from: Clutch of Dragons, p.149
His anger blinds him, Ghostwalker thought. He doesn’t realize that she isn’t really gone. He won’t listen to reason, any more than I would.

I hope we'll have some answers eventually. Maybe in a third Harlequin campaign? That would be great.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.
(Groucho Marx)

RowanTheFox

• Omae
« Reply #33 on: <08-22-16/1243:18> »

Back in the Clutch of Dragons, there were a couple of off-hand comments that she might not be completely gone and may have become... something else.

Quote from: Clutch of Dragons, p.136
While his activities are varied, (Harlequin) is rather focused on the Watergate Incident and the fallout, especially in regards to what happened to Aina. He is beginning to suspect that she may be something beside dead, but he is not yet clear on what that might be. He very much wants to know, though.

Quote from: Clutch of Dragons, p.149
His anger blinds him, Ghostwalker thought. He doesn’t realize that she isn’t really gone. He won’t listen to reason, any more than I would.

I hope we'll have some answers eventually. Maybe in a third Harlequin campaign? That would be great.

Aina actually makes a brief appearance in two of the stories I'm working on, Heart of Gold and Trickster's Folly. In Hear of Gold she frees Maisie (my OC) from the astral cocoon Vestrial trapped her in, and works as an astral messenger to help them both find each other and get back to the physical plane. (She disguises herself because she feels that seeing her in that moment would be too painful for him, so Harlequin never knows it's her).

In Trickster's Folly, Harlequin is forced to confront Vestrial on his home metaplane and gets his pasty immortal backside kicked. Aina finally shows herself to him and heals him, along with some cryptic comment about how he hasn't yet reached the end of his path before vanishing again.

Basically she serves as a sort of guardian spirit, and becomes a constant thorn in the side of horrors, horror constructs, and twisted spirits everywhere. She dishes out some well-deserved vengeance on those who tormented her for MILLENNIA.

Remember, you're only a genius when they need you. The rest of the time you're just an asshole.

Senko

• Ace Runner
« Reply #34 on: <08-23-16/0226:41> »
Fanfiction or actually canon novels?

RowanTheFox

• Omae
« Reply #35 on: <08-23-16/0249:11> »
Fanfiction or actually canon novels?

Fanfiction. I have several in the works. Blood of the King is finished, and Heart of Gold is in progress. After that I have Mind of a Madman, Trickster's Folly, Blood Feud (working title, may change), and several supplemental short stories to bridge the gaps written in the style of JackPoint posts (JackPointer commentary included  ;) ).

I've spent innumerable hours pouring over SR and ED lore to try and keep things as canonically accurate as I can. If I was ever commissioned to write actual canon novels, I might die. Lol

Edit: I have a sixth story I forgot to mention called Family Matters.
« Last Edit: <08-23-16/0340:38> by EiraHaexa »