NEWS

Quick question about damage spells

• 21 Replies

TranKirsaKali

• Chummer
« Reply #15 on: <09-26-10/1552:43> »

But will you be conscious to ensure that they are and did not have a Mage doing the counterspell hojo afterward?
[/quote]

Yes, magic is the first thing I bump for every magic character I have.  My main actually has a magic of 9.  Initiation is a wonderful thing.  And if I have done my job right counterspelling is not an issue. The rival caster is dead.

TranKirsaKali

• Chummer
« Reply #16 on: <09-26-10/1554:54> »
yes damage is force + hits capped by the spells force.  In other words I cast a force 6 mana ball I get 12 successes.  I still only do 12 damage.

Hits (not net hits) is capped by the force of the spell, so in the case of indirect spells like flamethrower (from the OPs example), you would first be limited on successes on the cast by force, and then would lose more hits to their reaction roll, and then they would get to soak.

Example: Bob casts Flamethrower at Steve at a force of 4 (cause he doesn't want to overcast). He gets really lucky when he rolls his spellcasting + magic and gets 7 successes. Unfortunately, the force of the spell limits his hits to 4. So Bobs final adjusted flamethrower spell is force 4 with 4 hits. Steve rolls reaction and gets 2 successes leaving Bob with a force 4 flamethrower spell with only 2 net hits. Now Steve rolls to resist the 6p(fire) damage...

Yeppers, exactly what I said minus I didn't bother going into what the other guys resistance rolls were.  Wasn't worth the time and effort to go into what wasn't being asked about.  Math break down  Force 6 spell + 12 successes+ 18 then minus the extra 6 because they do not count = 12. 

Doc Chaos

• Omae
  • Bavarian Mr. Johnson
« Reply #17 on: <09-26-10/1558:44> »
Yes, magic is the first thing I bump for every magic character I have.  My main actually has a magic of 9.  Initiation is a wonderful thing.  And if I have done my job right counterspelling is not an issue. The rival caster is dead.

Yeah, well, 150+ Karma mages are previleged to some serious ass kicking ;)
SR4A Limited Edition [german] - 0478/1100

voydangel

• Omae
  • SR GM since 1990. Damn I'm old.
« Reply #18 on: <09-26-10/2036:29> »
Yea TranKali - I wasnt trying to "correct" you, was just making sure to be extra extra clear about the order of operations and details since the point of the thread was that the OP didn't fully get the ins and outs of the setup. =)
My tips for new GM's
Unless it is coming from an official source, RAI = "Rules As Imagined."
SR1+SR2+SR3++SR4++SR5+++h+b+++B+D382UBIE-RN---DSF-W+m+(o++)gm+MP

TranKirsaKali

• Chummer
« Reply #19 on: <09-26-10/2149:50> »
Yea TranKali - I wasnt trying to "correct" you, was just making sure to be extra extra clear about the order of operations and details since the point of the thread was that the OP didn't fully get the ins and outs of the setup. =)

Ah, good to know.  ;D  It kind of came across as correcting to me.   :P

voydangel

• Omae
  • SR GM since 1990. Damn I'm old.
« Reply #20 on: <09-27-10/1110:27> »
My bad. <3
My tips for new GM's
Unless it is coming from an official source, RAI = "Rules As Imagined."
SR1+SR2+SR3++SR4++SR5+++h+b+++B+D382UBIE-RN---DSF-W+m+(o++)gm+MP

TranKirsaKali

• Chummer
« Reply #21 on: <09-27-10/1312:56> »

Yeah, well, 150+ Karma mages are previleged to some serious ass kicking ;)

Very true.  But a well made little shaman with the right spells still does some serious butt kicking.  You just have to plan your spells accordingly.  A good mix of physical and mana spells.  And a good mix of combat vs non combat spells.  And of course thinking.  If you are geeking the caster you need to use a physical killum spell.  Everyone else for the most part you use mana.  It is all about how the spell is resisted.