NEWS

Missions FAQ -- Points to Hit?

• 10 Replies

Bull

• Ace Runner
  • Crotchety Old Ork Decker
« on: <09-23-10/1541:41> »
Ok, first off, this is not a discussion thread. You want to discuss a topic, start a new thread for it, or find one that's already ongoing. I want to keep this thread clean, simple, and to the point, for ease of my reference later on.

I'm working on an Updated FAQ for Season 4. The Season 3 FAQ will not change, so if you're still playing Season 2, 3, or the 2010 CMPs, the Season 3 FAQ and all previous rules still apply.

What I want from this thread is any points that you guys feel should be in the FAQ. This is Missions Specific, so if it's a problem you have with the way the general rules work, take that up with Jason and the other guys. My only concern is how the official rules interact with the Missions Living Campaign. So if there's something you feel is missing and needs to be there, list it. Something that's there and doesn't apply? Whatever.

My only request is that you keep this simple, straightforward, do not repeat previous posters, and do not reply to other posters. As I say above, if you want to discuss or argue something, take it to another thread. I will ask the Mods to move or remove any discussion or argumentative posts from this thread. I'll be referring to it (And one on the DS forums) while I write, and I don't want to wade through a lot of chatter.

Also, as a caveat... Putting a suggestion up here does not mean it will go into the FAQ. I'll take everyone's comments into consideration, write up what I feel will best work for Missions as far as balance, the overall feel and tone of what we want for Season 4, getting Jason's feedback and stamp of approval, as well as some of the SR4 regular freelancers opinions as well.

Bull

P.S.  If you use both forums, just post into one or the other.  I'll compile the info from both.
« Last Edit: <09-23-10/1607:33> by Bull »

Spanner

• Newb
  • Good? Bad? I'm the dwarf with the drones.
« Reply #1 on: <09-23-10/1607:56> »
We need standard costs for hiring people to do modifications on guns and vehicles if we can't do them ourselves.

A.A. Salati

« Reply #2 on: <09-23-10/1619:25> »
When you Buy Hits in-game, the mechanic reduces your statistical chance of success in exchange for a guaranteed number of bought successes.  This conversion from your dice pool is 4 dice to 1 hit.  Statistically, you should get 1 hit per 3 dice, but the trade off here is your results are less random.

This should not be the conversion for learning skills and acquiring gear between sessions.  It should be 3 to 1, because its purpose is not to allow you to reduce the randomness of your results like the Buy Hits in-game dynamic.  Its purpose is to be a fair way to resolve things that take time out of Mission sessions.  It's only fair to allow 3 dice to earn 1 hit in these circumstances.

Casazil

• Omae
  • There can be only one!
« Reply #3 on: <09-23-10/1810:58> »
Qualities....

In the missions faq we have now it list qualities that you can't take for this reason or another this is all well an good.

However if you make a character with certain SR4a negitive qualities they say you start with 1 notoriety per quality however the new negitive qualities in other books do not.

I am woundering if for Missions were Street Cred, Notoriety, and Public Awareness are used if you'll be adding the notoriety to some of the new Negitive qualities?
"If at first you don't succeed blame someone else"
Joel "Casazil" Rogers
Catalyst Demo Team Shadowrun Special Agent #251
http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/CasazilsShadowrun/

DWC

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <09-23-10/1815:51> »
Stuff I'd Love to See:

1)  Update the list of disallowed positive and negative qualities.  Please keep the Martial Arts rules out.  It's kind of refreshing to not have every other shooter in the campaign be a master of Krav Maga.

2)  Codify the karma threshold for promotion to the Prime Runner missions, along with the available benefits for characters created to replace promoted primes.  The folks who are determined to game the system to play their characters as long as they want to are going to find a way to do so.  Trying to shut them down is just going to mean that you have to revise the FAQ again for Origins, amidst trying to get the first six to eight Season 4 missions ready to go.

3)  Codify the campaign's stance on hostile interactions between PCs.  If the campaign is going to deliberately set them against each other, it owes to explicitly allow players to have their PCs take whatever actions the situation deems appropriate.  If the campaign is going to forbid it, then any and all encouragement of inter-party backstabbing needs to stop immediately.

4)  Do I pay lifestyle at the end of the 4th week of a month or the start of the 1st?

Wasabi

• Newb
« Reply #5 on: <09-23-10/2305:46> »
Please make lifestyle costs per run then have a place for it to be deducted on the cert.
(EG: Low would be 500 nuyen/week)
Missions Characters:
[SR4] Jax - Merc Technomancer
[SR5] Reece - Journalist TM

KarmaInferno

• Ace Runner
  • Armor Stacking Cheese Monkey
« Reply #6 on: <09-24-10/0039:27> »
More of an overall campaign thought, but some reason why we keep working together would be nifty.

It's often a good idea in Living campaigns to provide a hook for characters to 'belong', get invested into the situation on a more personal level than just being a cold mercenary bastard.

A common threat, or common organization, or something.

A reason to give a damn besides the Nuyen - this is not to say previous campaigns have not had this! But it helps if characters are provided with some emotional or personal ties with the plot.

Deacon

• Newb
  • Call me... Deacon Blues
« Reply #7 on: <09-24-10/1843:59> »
I'd like to see a mechanic for acquiring new contacts -- beyond just the ones you meet during the mission, I mean.  Because sometimes in chargen you miss out on getting necessary contacts -- like a mechanic for a rigger, or a sensei for a samurai or adept.

I've always found contacts to be quite useful, if the GM is prepared for them.  I'm lucky in that my current Missions GM loves to roleplay contacts, just like I did when I ran Virtual Seattle.  But you don't always get the kind of contacts you find you really need in chargen -- and don't always have the BP for it then.

-Deacon
"Of course I have a superpower.  It's called a brain.  I use it."
--Johnny Zero, Children of the Atom

DarkLloyd

• Ace Runner
  • Stupidity this Good takes TEAMWORK.
« Reply #8 on: <09-25-10/2057:40> »
Uhm lets see.

1. Lets use the rule for weapon slot limits for modifications.

2. Allow adepts to get a power point from initiation instaed of a metamagic.

3. (My Personal crusade here) return "The Exchange" to the contacts we can have!!!  :D

4. (I know it won't happen but I'll throw it out there anyway) use the "optional" rule and switch back to a
     3x cost for Attributes.
Runing the shadows since '90
If you can't Dazzle them with STYLE, Riddle them with BULLETS.
"Sometimes we do the right thing.  Sometimes we shoot people in the face for money."-CanRay
"Sometimes those are the same thing."-Mirikon

Missions Characters:
ChromeMonger - Sam
Blanco Diablo - Adept

KarmaInferno

• Ace Runner
  • Armor Stacking Cheese Monkey
« Reply #9 on: <09-25-10/2257:13> »
Uhm lets see.

1. Lets use the rule for weapon slot limits for modifications.

I'd point out that this isn't an 'optional' rule, so as such is already in force for SRM.

Maybe you're thinking about the armor slot rules? Those are optional. Those would be nice to see used in SRM.

-k
« Last Edit: <09-25-10/2259:29> by KarmaInferno »

Chance359

• Newb
« Reply #10 on: <09-28-10/1246:02> »
I'd like to see cash for karma added to the allowed rules set.