NEWS

"Average" Comlink

• 56 Replies

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #45 on: <12-01-11/1329:56> »
Bear in mind that only the least educated people don't have any skill whatsoever with computers (And Non-Metahuman Sentients, but slot them!).  At the very least, they know standardized matrix iconography to operate things and get a spell-and-speak option going for the stuff they can't read even if illiterate (Which is increasing more and more even amongst the remains of the middle class.).
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Crash_00

« Reply #46 on: <12-01-11/2313:17> »
Yes, but I always thought that the main difference between Lone Star and Knight Errant was that Knight Errant gets the toys and the training to use them. Really, training to get that one in Computer, Data Search, and Electronic Warfare wouldn't be that hard. An AR tutorial that has to be passed/recertified every X months should be able to do more than enough. And of course, if the officer's are going into a situation, knowing ahead of time they'll be using the skills, they can always get ride-on-decker assistance from the precinct or an agent if that's not available.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #47 on: <12-02-11/0152:39> »
Lone Star gets better training on beating a person their rights, however.  ;D

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Crash_00

« Reply #48 on: <12-02-11/0209:10> »
Well, depends on their status and metahuman species.

Lone Star is pretty big on the downtrodden and metahuman beating. Knight Errant has always been an equal opportunity brutalizer.  ;D  But yes, Lone Star training teaches them to read rights during the beating rather than after.

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #49 on: <12-04-11/2045:04> »
One of these days, I really want to put together a batch of "Generic NPCs with Decks" ... cops, script kiddies, hack-ganger, generic suburban citizen, sysop, and so on. I've always had  weakness for the Matrix and the related areas, even if no game master, anywhere, allowed a PC decker in the first three editions.

Alas, alas.

As for the officers, recall that there's a tightrope being walked, where "Good enough to do the job" and "Good enough to do what I want it to do" run headlong against "How much will this cost?" and "Remember, we have to outfit a thousand guys with the same setup."

Commlink by committee.

Henker

• Newb
  • Mystic Adept
« Reply #50 on: <01-09-12/0318:02> »
For regular, unamed NPC I use level 2 devices (all ratings are 2).
For professional, like lone star, I increase the level to 3.

Most of the time I use levels 4-5 for specific NPC and locations where security is critical.
Eighth and final rule: if this is your first night at Fight Club, you have to fight

JustADude

• Prime Runner
  • Madness? This! Is! A FORUM!
« Reply #51 on: <01-09-12/0349:14> »
For regular, unamed NPC I use level 2 devices (all ratings are 2).
For professional, like lone star, I increase the level to 3.

Most of the time I use levels 4-5 for specific NPC and locations where security is critical.

So would you say Commlink = Professional Level, basically?

Maybe PL+2 for those that are the "Hacker" of the group?
“What is right is not always popular and what is popular is not always right.”
― Albert Einstein

"Being average just means that half of everyone you meet is better than you."
― Me

Henker

• Newb
  • Mystic Adept
« Reply #52 on: <01-09-12/0404:58> »
by "professional", I don't mean "expert", just professional.

When you look and the
- Meta Link, CMT cip and Sony emperor commlink,
- Vector Xim, Redcap Nix, Renraku Ichi OS

they mainly have ratings below 3.

I mostly use those complinks and OS for the average people of the street.

But in order to "simplify" the game I put all ratings at 1 or 2 depending of the situation
Eighth and final rule: if this is your first night at Fight Club, you have to fight

Lysanderz

• Omae
« Reply #53 on: <01-09-12/0411:53> »
I remember reading something a long time ago about commlinks with specific hardware that gave them access to Company networks rather than relying on software or passwords. Anybody have any idea what the hell I'm talking about?

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #54 on: <01-09-12/0956:06> »
I remember reading something a long time ago about commlinks with specific hardware that gave them access to Company networks rather than relying on software or passwords. Anybody have any idea what the hell I'm talking about?
Proprietary Software/Hardware systems.  You don't have it, the system goes, "Nah, I don't like you, zero access allowed." and disconnects any attempt at accessing them ever again.

Really sucks when you're doing it in VR, as you get a nasty case of Dumpshock.

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Lysanderz

• Omae
« Reply #55 on: <01-09-12/1303:58> »
I knew it existed. I had my comm shot up in a run and there was some poor schmuck who took a bullet and some glass to his face. So I politely jacked out his skull and stole his commlink. Didn't realize he was some corp secretary and my gm tried to explain it to me but me not being a hacker went "Yeah whatever, new commlink."

Ah, the days of my ignorance and youth.

Kat9

« Reply #56 on: <01-18-12/1311:10> »
One of these days, I really want to put together a batch of "Generic NPCs with Decks" ... cops, script kiddies, hack-ganger, generic suburban citizen, sysop, and so on.

Yes please!

Today's a good day.

Yesterday was great too..