NEWS

A. Nonymous

• 766 Replies

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« on: <03-22-11/1249:48> »
This thread is to host all the wild speculations and crazy theories on WHO the anonymous poster on Jackpoint is (the Man with No Name, Hombre de la Unknown, Ghost in the Machine, etc.).

I have my own theory and shot a PM off to JMH to see if I'm warm or not, so I'm not posting it here for fear of spoiling (if I'm wrong, I'll post it anyway so we can at least cross it off).

Here's the posts so far:

Quote from: Corporate Guide p.70
The CAS is not on friendly relations with Aztlan—especially after it took over the Azzie sector of Denver a few years back. But what does the CAS military drive? Hawker-Siddley Skytrucks, Hawker-Siddley convoy vehicles, Hawker-Siddley recon drones—you get the point.

Quote from: War! p. 37
If their numbers keep growing, Aztlan’s going to take more direct action against Bogotá Libre!, and then you’ll see the membership drop like a stone down a deep, dark well. People who sign up for protest often don’t want anything to do with actual combat. And I can’t say I blame them.

Quote from: War! p. 83
No one has better intel then the cartels, and the petty criminals on the bottom of the food chain are the main reason for that. Shit rolls down hill, after all, and if you’re at the bottom of the hill, everything gets filtered through you sooner or later. People talk to hookers—prostitution is a great way to get intel from people who otherwise don’t talk. Drug dealers aren’t exactly like bartenders, but they can tell when things are happening based on shifts in their sales patterns, and data on who’s buying what from whom is always handy to have.

Quote from: Attitude, p. 31
The hell it can’t.
(in response to gaining trust with OC contacts)

Quote from: Attitude, p. 108
I’d like to nip any romantic portrayals of media pirates in the bud here. Don’t look at them as daring artists and freedom fighters sailing the Matrix, freeing us from the bonds of mediocre media. History suggests the original pirates weren’t the romantic figures we like to make them out to be, and neither are these ones. Why would anyone assume that a bunch of light-deprived,  basement-dwelling data miners would be anything but social misfits at best? Art exists for its own end, not as a part of some digital rebellion against “the man,” and pirates are only toothless thieves too cheap to pay their way.
(missed this one)

Quote from: Spy Games, p. 67
Given the anti-meta hate speeches he made in his twenties, along with his continuing mentorship role in the Humanis Policlub, he needs the bodyguard. Lesker receives no less than twenty threats a month and is the target of at least three assassination attempts a year.

Quote from: Spy Games, p. 70
It seems Kay St. Irregular has forgotten one of the more important power players in Denver. A recent Dawkins Group report has Kay on the short list of UCAS appointees for the Council. So, Kay, any hint as to when you’re going to chase off Lesker and take your seat at the table?

Quote from: Spy Games, p. 136
Great dragons and their ilk have yet to accept that the world moves faster than them, and it has no regard for their plans. They may think long-term, but humans are unpredictable and a bit crazy. We’ve also been playing this game for millennia without end.

Quote from: Spy Games, p. 152
Computers are optical now, right? How can they have a magnetic field?

Quote from: Spy Games, p. 166
Dose: Two fi fty. Thirty six. Uno. Cuarenta y cinco. Quarantasette. Novantadue. Ni hundered og fem. Femtiĺtte. Quarantase. Konets.

Quote from: Gun Heaven, p. 17
Mmmm, Mmmm Good. Horizon is Good for the Soul :)

Quote from: Street Legends, p. 66
It sounds like the way most corporations do business. They’ll give you what they don’t want so long as you give them what they want in return. That is, unless you’re a dragon. In that case they’ll give you everything you ask for and ask nothing in return.
(In response to Sticks' being on UCAS Marshals Most Wanted, but Ares not turning him in)

Quote from: Street Legends, p. 102
Position. The work Blake did at SK -Prime was less about acquisitions than it was controlling Lowfyr’s considerable network of spies within rival organizations. In a sense, he watched the watchers. Blake was coordinating his own team of spies for Lowfyr while he was spying for Dunkelzahn.
(Re: Jonathon Blake)

Quote from: Street Legends, p. 125
Okay, I have to interrupt here. Hestaby is no guardian angel, no patron saint of metahumans, no martyr or whatever you want to call her. She is a media whore. She will do whatever she has to do to capture the spotlight and to present herself in a light that makes it appear that she is working in all of our best interests. The fact of the matter is, she crafts her public image as carefully as any megacorporation. And I doubt that it is a coincidence that the new Tír Tairngire government now enjoys a very close relationship with Horizon, the leading PR megacorp of the world. I am certain that Hestaby has her talons buried deep into that relationship, and that as a result, she is getting much more positive press because of it than what she would normally be able to get on her own. With her very carefully crafted public image, there’s no way of telling what her true agenda is. For all we know, it could very well be similar to Lofwyr’s (if not worse).

Quote from: Street Legends, p. 125
I make no apologies for what I have said. The truth stands for itself. Last year alone, Hestaby sent out more press releases than Lofwyr himself (and that’s not even counting all the “leaks” that were made about her scheduled appearances, alerting the media to what she was doing and where she was going to be). There’s something wrong with that, in my humble opinion.

Quote from: Street Legends, p. 128
Looks like another example of Hestaby trying to portray something in a totally different light than what it really is. Big surprise. One has to wonder if there’s anything genuine about Hestaby.

Quote from: Street Legends, p. 133
People need to remember that despite any PR bullshit, each and every great dragon is capable of being extremely vindictive and ill-tempered, and not just Lofwyr. Even the UCAS’ most exalted late president, Dunkelzahn, who was praised to no end for being “metahuman-friendly,” showed these same characteristics. In his will, Dunkelzahn stripped away all legal rights for a poor slot, and forced him to try and survive being hunted down by other parties looking to cash in on the sizable reward for his head for an entire week. No one knows if that guy ever survived, but it really doesn’t matter. In the end, all great dragons are cold-blooded. It’s their nature. Assuming or believing anything else is just believing in a lie.

Quote from: Artifacts Unbound, p. 36
Thirty-two.

Quote from: Conspiracy Theories, p. 71
This is one of those theories that is absolutely ludicrous, but would be great if it was true. Imagine the chaos. Dragons who dislike each other, who are having increasing trouble getting along, having to coordinate the operations of this place together. The value of the product stored there, and the number of wealthy people who would like to get just a taste of it. The powerful people in the world who’d like to find out about it just to get a bit of leverage over the dragons. It would be too beautiful.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #1 on: <03-22-11/1255:23> »
Well, let's see...  First off, it's got to be someone that can hack FastJack.

Second, it has to be someone that knows the Shadows.

Third, it has to be someone who wants to do this.

My two guesses are Slamm-0! and Netcat's baby (Who downloaded Mommy's knowledge through some weird Technomancer trick) or Captain Chaos trying to break free.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #2 on: <03-22-11/1316:54> »
Ah, just received word on my theory.

And Captain Chaos is off the list. :P

As for Slamm-0!, I doubt it. He's a great hacker, but he's the one that pointed it out in Attitude, and that would make him waaaaay more enigmatic than I think he is. And baby may have TM abilities, but I don't think (s)he's (do we know the sex yet?) got the language and life experience for those posts.

Fizzygoo

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <03-22-11/1400:42> »
Dagnabbit! At work, only have Feral Cities in the car for my lunch break, War!'s at home. I've been reading SR non-stop since I had been out of the loop for 5 years and just started playing (and got caught up on the 5 years worth of missing books) since Jan...so it's all a blur as to where I've seen what. But...

Is the anonymous posting just a blank line after the entry text? If so, there's at least one Anonymous posting in...see...it might be War! Crap. I just finished Corporate Guide, nearly done with Chicago in Feral Cities but I got War! a couple of days ago and flipped through it. Somewhere in the past week I saw the post-with-no-name and thought, "ug, typo, I wonder who said it." If it wasn't War!, then there may be a post in Feral Cities. Ug. Going to be hard to concentrate on work with this swimming around in my head. Two hours till lunch where I can flip through Feral Cities to see.
Member of the ITA gaming podcast, including live Shadowrun 5th edition games: On  iTunes and Podbay

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #4 on: <03-22-11/1416:08> »
Dagnabbit! At work, only have Feral Cities in the car for my lunch break, War!'s at home. I've been reading SR non-stop since I had been out of the loop for 5 years and just started playing (and got caught up on the 5 years worth of missing books) since Jan...so it's all a blur as to where I've seen what. But...

Is the anonymous posting just a blank line after the entry text? If so, there's at least one Anonymous posting in...see...it might be War! Crap. I just finished Corporate Guide, nearly done with Chicago in Feral Cities but I got War! a couple of days ago and flipped through it. Somewhere in the past week I saw the post-with-no-name and thought, "ug, typo, I wonder who said it." If it wasn't War!, then there may be a post in Feral Cities. Ug. Going to be hard to concentrate on work with this swimming around in my head. Two hours till lunch where I can flip through Feral Cities to see.
I quoted the three posts in question in the OP, two in War!, one in Attitude.

Nath

• Omae
« Reply #5 on: <03-22-11/1444:47> »
I confirm there is one in Corporate Guide, in Aztechnology chapter, page 70.

The CAS is not on friendly relations with Aztlan—especially after it took over the Azzie sector of Denver a few years back. But what does the CAS military drive? Hawker-Siddley Skytrucks, Hawker-Siddley convoy vehicles, Hawker-Siddley recon drones—you get the point.

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #6 on: <03-22-11/1451:24> »

Good catch. I'm not sure if it's an anonymous post or typo, since it's missing the second mark. I'll add it to the list, though!

Angelone

• Ace Runner
  • A decent perfection
« Reply #7 on: <03-22-11/1452:25> »
The Smiling Bandit

That's my guess anyway.
REJOICE! For bad things are about to happen.
la vida no vale nada

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #8 on: <03-22-11/1455:09> »
The Smiling Bandit

That's my guess anyway.
I don't think so. He's been posting kinda regularly on the boards, so I don't see him "testing" Jack in this way. More than likely, it's either someone brand spankin' new or an old-timer that hasn't been seen in a bit. Or Puck. ;)

Angelone

• Ace Runner
  • A decent perfection
« Reply #9 on: <03-22-11/1503:25> »
It is something he'd do though. It be a real pain if it was more than one person.

Hmm... old time deckers huh? Let's see there's Findler-man, Pyramid Watcher (?). Shoot can only think of those two right now. Was Stainless Steel Rat a decker?
la vida no vale nada

ChaoticWeevil

• Newb
« Reply #10 on: <03-22-11/1534:34> »
I think she was eaten by the worm during the crash but could it be Alice?

(I think that was her name), one of the people from Echo Mirage who was killed but her memories still existed on the matrix. I know she had a major beef with Aztechnology and a lot of these comments deal with that entity.

Angelone

• Ace Runner
  • A decent perfection
« Reply #11 on: <03-22-11/1538:02> »
Yes, her name was Alice Haeffner. She was the former (deposed) presidents wife.

Yeah, the worm got her.
la vida no vale nada

Frostriese

• Chummer
« Reply #12 on: <03-22-11/1544:36> »
Well, the common theme seems to be Atztech/Atztlan. And if there is one corporation where it pays off to be paranoid, its Atztech. So, yeah, Pyramid Watcher makes a lot of sense. If it isn't just somebody new.

Fizzygoo

• Omae
« Reply #13 on: <03-22-11/1556:58> »

OMG! Thank you for finding that! I thought I was going to go nuts and have to search through everything and it didn't seem that long ago that I read it (as Azt section is, well at the beginning of CG) so I was going to go though Feral Cities twice, three times, and then look in War! and see the ones that Fastjack has already posted and give up and say "must of been that," so thank you Nath for helping me not lose my mind quite as fast as it normally decays :)

Well, if the CG post is "intended" and not a typo/error then I'm definitely leaning towards Alice, but who knows.

Interesting that in the three non-CG posts each one references "descent"..."down a...well," "down hill," "hell." (last one's kind of a stretch, hehe).
Member of the ITA gaming podcast, including live Shadowrun 5th edition games: On  iTunes and Podbay

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #14 on: <03-22-11/1601:48> »
Ah, just received word on my theory.

And Captain Chaos is off the list. :P

As for Slamm-0!, I doubt it. He's a great hacker, but he's the one that pointed it out in Attitude, and that would make him waaaaay more enigmatic than I think he is. And baby may have TM abilities, but I don't think (s)he's (do we know the sex yet?) got the language and life experience for those posts.
Oh well.  So much for getting our Captain back.   :'(  *Pours a 40 on the curb*

As for the baby, I did suggest that, perhaps, (s)he DLed knowledge through Mommy...  Language might be part of that.  Doesn't have the hardware developed yet for language, but the software and wetware might be ready.  Might also explain the lack of a username.  (S)He might not even have the concept on one for him/her self yet.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11