NEWS

Notoriety and Street Cred

• 13 Replies

Enin

• Newb
« on: <09-12-10/1834:40> »
How many of you GM's out there actually use Notoriety and Street Cred?

I find myself forgetting to use it a lot which tends to lessen the credibility of notoriety as a punishment for doing stupid things, and vice versa for street cred. If you could give me some examples that would be neato.

Doc Chaos

• Omae
  • Bavarian Mr. Johnson
« Reply #1 on: <09-13-10/0043:49> »
I like to look at it from time to time and compare it to my own notes on how and for what the characters are known on the streets. Then, after I stop nearly pissing myself laughing, I keep on ignoring that particular pile of crap. I just make modifiers for street cred up as I go as it fits the situation.
SR4A Limited Edition [german] - 0478/1100

Mystic

• Freelancer
  • Omae
  • Word Mercenary
« Reply #2 on: <09-13-10/0236:55> »
Up until this last game, I ignored it. But in my last game, what the players did was directly related to how the story proceeded; I paid close attention.
Bringing chaos, mayhem, and occasionally cookies to the Sixth World since 2052!

"Just because it's easy for you doesn't mean it can't be hard on your clients"-Rule 38, The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries, Schlock Mercenary.

Switch

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: <09-13-10/1127:18> »
We've been looking over the rules and keep trying to add them into our game but we just end up making it up tis swo much easier

TranKirsaKali

• Chummer
« Reply #4 on: <09-13-10/1250:29> »
As a player I use it plenty.  Street cred is very useful in bargaining and talking to contacts.  Bonus dice is always fun. Notoriety takes away from that.  And in my opinion is a way to help curb the antics of a certain type of player.  Going around just killing people that are in the way, wrecking havoc for no real reason, these things should effect the character.  Why would a Johnson that wants something done quietly hire a team of kill em all and sort it out laters?  And if that is your MO you would draw attention to yourself a lot more and why would a corp or mob boss want your team around?  They would come after you.  There are acceptable losses and then the not so acceptable losses.  The less attention you draw to yourself and your team from the opposition the more likely the Johnson is going to hire you and vice versa.

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #5 on: <09-13-10/1321:50> »
Teams with high Notoriety should get a lot of runs that are Distraction runs for actual runs. The truly expendable assets runs...

TranKirsaKali

• Chummer
« Reply #6 on: <09-13-10/1822:30> »
Teams with high Notoriety should get a lot of runs that are Distraction runs for actual runs. The truly expendable assets runs...

Sigh and look at him boiling down my post so beautifully.

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #7 on: <09-13-10/1839:26> »

Sigh and look at him boiling down my post so beautifully.
It's a gift... ;)

Darkeus

• Newb
« Reply #8 on: <09-13-10/2010:39> »
I use it.  It gives me a good indicator to go by, along with any "modifications" I need to make.  It let's me know when things may be getting too hot and it is time to change cities as well.  ;)

I thought what I'd do is; I would pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes.

Wayfinder

• Newb
  • fraggin fragged frag
« Reply #9 on: <09-13-10/2250:05> »
My favorite rule to offer something more than money and karma. I don't know a runner out there that doesn't want a rep like Fast Jack or Dodger or Captain Chaos. i've ran games that literally took years of GAME time. If a runner is that successful for that long then they better have a bit of weight when their name comes up or what the frag was it all for??

TranKirsaKali

• Chummer
« Reply #10 on: <09-15-10/1236:20> »
It is also a good indicator of time to retire.  If your name gets to well known it is time to hope you have enough cred to go buy that small island in the Caribbean and relax.

DarkLloyd

• Ace Runner
  • Stupidity this Good takes TEAMWORK.
« Reply #11 on: <09-17-10/0426:58> »
Yes. The Street Cred/Notoriety mechanic works well. Very well in fact.
That is IF and only IF the GM keeps a tight reign on it. The penalites (Notoriety) must be metted out so that players Understand This Is NOT a Good Thing!!!
Otherwise the Street Cred is just a free dice pool crutch and you'll be better off just canking both of the mechanics.
Runing the shadows since '90
If you can't Dazzle them with STYLE, Riddle them with BULLETS.
"Sometimes we do the right thing.  Sometimes we shoot people in the face for money."-CanRay
"Sometimes those are the same thing."-Mirikon

Missions Characters:
ChromeMonger - Sam
Blanco Diablo - Adept

Frankie the Fomori

• Omae
« Reply #12 on: <09-17-10/0439:03> »
I use them for what jobs I offer to my runners, if they have a new rep then they get certain runs designed as low key, not very plot specific. As they build there reps the pc will see the profile of there runs change and the effect on the general world starts to become noticed

TranKirsaKali

• Chummer
« Reply #13 on: <09-18-10/1333:01> »
In my mind that is a beautiful way of doing things.