NEWS

Spotting Icons Running Silent

• 16 Replies

Marcus

• Prime Runner
  • Success always demands a greater effort.
« Reply #15 on: <02-17-18/1908:14> »
It's clearly the intention of the devs that by default you run things wirelessly active and make them vulerable to bricking, in exchange for that risk you get some pretty solid bonuses, but it's worth noting, there is very simple defense vs bricking. Turn off the wireless function and your safe as houses. Sure you can't do this all the time. But it's not like you don't have the option if you know your about to tussle with a decker. You can even do everything enternally with wires and hub. I'm just saying I really like the wireless rules and i like the options it opens. I think it works as intended.
*Play-by-Post color guide*
Thinking
com
speaking

brombur

• Newb
« Reply #16 on: <02-19-18/1419:09> »
 I ran through this issue early on and have my own house rule that I will detail but first I saw the posts about a sleaze attribute as an issue but I thought that any device which didn't have a sleaze rating defaulted to device rating so technically everything has a sleaze rating. Logically I look at that the same way modern wireless devices have airplane mode and other options to dictate how they work with wireless signals and networks around them. Sure they aren't specifically out of the box designed to avoid using wireless you can make tweaks. Makes sense that future tech would also have similar options for both security, think currently security protocols on wireless routers, and privacy not wanting everyone to know you are in their area.

As for my house rule I decided that the Perception test allows the character to use successes to filter out/focus on categories for successes. So 1 success identifies there are hidden icons, 2 reveals them all, 3 can show/hide all coms or weapons or cybereyes, cyberdeck, etc or a specific feature like pistols with smartlinks. or allow a random item hack,  4 allows for a hack attempt. on the reduced list either at random or a filtered item.

I also had an issue with the perception rules for distance to detection. Allowing a hacker to find any hidden icon anywhere in the world with a simple test, even with range and noise mods, seemed to be a bit nonsensical. I've decided to require the hacker to have access to a device physically in an area to run the hidden search.  So if you are in Seattle and want to hack a hidden com in Tokyo you need to first gain access to a wireless device on the grid in Tokyo to use as your antenna the same way you use your deck or com to view all icons within 100' of yourself.

Im also thinking of allowing some directional based searches to be run from the source identifying hidden within a set distance and direction. Everything today has GPS so its odd to me that there aren't any rules about using perception to identify, at least the direction of the physical source of a signal.