Shadowrun Play > Rules and such

Nanohives, Cost and Availability

(1/3) > >>

Scrollreader:
So I'm building a Decker, and looking at Chrome Flesh, I have some questions.

If I buy a nanohive (soft, if it matters) do I also need to buy nanotech independently?  The hive is set up to make one kind of nanoware specifically (if I understand correctly) and make more up to the rating of the nanohive.

So if I buy a rating 2 soft nanohive, to run Neocortical nanos, do I need to spend the money and the availability (via restricted gear) on the nanos /AND/ the hive?  Or does the hive and the essence cost take care of the nanites?

EDIT: And if I do need to buy the nanos separate from the hive, can I just buy them at rating 1, and let the hive catch me up? 

Mirikon:
You would need to buy both separately, yes. Buying the hive gives you the ability to keep the nano running, since otherwise it would break down as the nano leaves your system via waste and other methods over time. But that's the equivalent of buying a jump drive. You still have to buy something to put on the jump drive.

And no, if you bought the nano at rating 1, regardless of the rating of the hive, the nano would remain rating 1.

Scrollreader:
... so if I buy nano at rating 3, and it is reduced to 1 (or 0) from damage ... The hive can make new nano to get me back up to the rating of the hive.  But if buy it at rating 1 (or 0) it can't?  That seems really counterintuitive.  Do you have a page reference where I can see what I missed?

Mirikon:
It isn't counterintuitive at all. When nanoware supported by the hive has its rating reduced, the nanohive restores the nano to original strength, up to the rating of the nanohive itself. That does not mean it increases the actual rating of the nanoware. You still have to buy the higher level stuff for that.

Scrollreader:
So the vial of nanobots I buy (16F, 7.5-22.5k nuyen) has a hard coded top end?   :o

I'm just struggling to see how a nanohive is capable of manufacturing 2 million nanites when I lose nanites, but not capable of manufacturing them when I get started.  Especially when the nanohive only makes one kind of nanites.

I guess it's just a game balance thing, and I should leave my logic at the door.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version