Shadowrun Play > Gamemasters' Lounge

Here we go again. 4th Ed Pre-Awakening timeline pushout

(1/5) > >>

Shadowseer Kim:
You got it, you have seen the threads a million times, no magic no metahumans. 

I am gearing up to start a new campaign with my group and story boarding/bullet pointing it right now.  We are several months out, plenty of time to prepare.

According to my notes from 5 years ago or so, I accomplished this by pushing out tech level and official timeline world events by a few decades.

Players will start 200 point buy
Tech level restrictions are 6R, 4F.  Higher tech stuff is in R&D, but at least character can get some basic cybernetics, early gen stuff.

This gives a leading edge of the shadowrun world, building of the mega corps and gives me the chance to run the characters through the awakening if I want to.  And who knows, maybe the runner will somehow play a hand in future timeline events.

Ok other GM's inspiration material time.  What you got?  What do you recommend other than the list I have down here?

Related movies/tv shows I already own and will be watching again.

Blade Runner
Ghost in the Shell
Nemesis
Johnny Neumonic
Ex Machina
Akira
Soldier
Ultraviolet
Gattica
A.I.

Shadowseer Kim:
Also, how is 5th Ed compared to 4th Ed?

I have access to all the 5th Ed books, I just actually own 4th ed, and a ton of 3rd ed source material.

Mirikon:
Honestly? Trying to do SR without Magic or metahumans is going to be somewhat problematic, especially in 5th. There's too many ripples to keep track of, so you'd be doing a LOT of debugging in game. Magic is one of the major balancing acts against tech, after all, so removing it is going to have more effects than I can think of in game. And that's just on the rules side of things. On the lore side, EVERYTHING changes.

If you're looking for a SR feel without magic, I might suggest using a different system, since there are several that will work quite nicely for a cyberpunk type game without magic. Champions/HERO System, GURPS, or ParanoiaXP would all potentially be good fits.

Shadowseer Kim:
I know your reservations Mirikon.  As you may have read in my post, I have done this before and it was successful.  I say "Pre-awakening" because it allows me to campaign into proper Shadowrun with metahumans and magic.  When you run the reduced tech levels, it does not need the balancing factor of magic, at least I have not run into any issues before.

ShadowcatX:
So you want to run a game about magic in a cyberpunk world without the magic, or the cyber, and instead of punks you want cripples. I guess the bystanders in all the movies you mention would work as inspiration.

The cyberpunk 2020 books were a similar vein and might serve as some inspiration. I don't remember much about the rules so I don't know if you would be able to port any game stuff over.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version