NEWS

Pychologic Impact to be a runner

• 6 Replies

MissRachou

• Newb
« on: <09-20-17/1052:49> »
Talking for talking...

I would like to talk about some psychology...  To be more precise, the effects to be a Shadowrunner.  I guess we will agreed to be a runner is a stressfull 'job' and can be very risky for your life.  In real life this kind of situation will affect you with some syndrome, like post-traumatic.  At mid and long term I guess runner will have issues to be faced at
Is not sound normal to me.. You for exemple kill people and just after try to act like normall person.. (I know runner are not normal person, this topic is just talk for fun)

Are you as a player DM playing with psychological aspect?
How you do it?
How a runner can avoid, side effect or live with that?

So I would like to have opinon and point of view, and discuss about this ^^
Thank you

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #1 on: <09-20-17/1132:28> »
The thing to remember is that being a runner is moments of 'high excitement' with a lot of 'boring' stuff going on around it, and that's just when you're working, to say nothing of your 'off the clock' life. It isn't like you're in the arena constantly fighting again and again and again, or stuck in a zombie apocalypse having to fight your way out of the sprawl.

Now, those moments of high excitement, especially the fighting, can have psychological impacts. Losing buddies in crossfire can be bad. But metahumans aren't exactly fragile (mostly) and you can find a lot of ways to cope with some real serious drek. If you wanted to make a real study of it, you ought to look at the ways cops and gang members cope with things in RL.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Quatar

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <09-20-17/1246:48> »
My gunslinger is coping with the fact that she had to shoot a cop in the face on the last run (normally she tries to not kill people) by getting high on drugs, and then later throwing herself into magical studies. Anything to distract her from thinking too much about it.

My face in another game has been a professional assassin before the game started and has the Impassive flaw, and is an emotional cold fish. She can fake it very well when she has to, of course, but she rarely gets excited about anything anymore.

&#24525;

« Reply #3 on: <09-20-17/1340:29> »
It's also important to remember the societies and cultures present in Shadowrun's cyberpunk, dystopian future.

MissRachou

• Newb
« Reply #4 on: <09-20-17/1446:21> »
It's also important to remember the societies and cultures present in Shadowrun's cyberpunk, dystopian future.
True..   I think is why I felt in love with the game ;)

I have realized a couple days a go that my charctere is very cold heart on the job...It's just happen one time to have kind of regrets to kill someone.. The girl was a witness for a trial about human trafficking. I've done my job very professionally. M. Johnson was obsviously guilty, but I found out after he try to elimate me...
I tried to keep her busy between job.

Now, those moments of high excitement, especially the fighting, can have psychological impacts. Losing buddies in crossfire can be bad. But metahumans aren't exactly fragile (mostly) and you can find a lot of ways to cope with some real serious drek. If you wanted to make a real study of it, you ought to look at the ways cops and gang members cope with things in RL.
Sorry but what is RL?

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #5 on: <09-20-17/1454:56> »
Hm,

three out of six of my current chars are sociopaths, one is a righteous man with a strong honor codex and focused mainly on bodyguarding, one has lost his mind to CFD and one is a dog.

All in all, yes, shadow running longterm is only for people who either have a damaged psyche or a very substantial coping mechanism.
talk think matrix

To strive, to seek, to find and not to yield
Revenant Kynos Isaint Rex

Spooky

• Omae
  • If you run, you'll only die tired.
« Reply #6 on: <09-20-17/1506:46> »
@ MissRachou
  RL is short for real life, so IRL is short for in real life.
Spooky, what do you do this pass? Shoot him with my thunderstruck gauss rifle. (Rolls)  8 hits. Does that blow his head off?