NEWS

[5e] Samurai build help (Haven't done this in years.)

• 7 Replies

Tassyr

• Chummer
« on: <08-31-17/0342:05> »
It's been -years- since I tried to play, but I finally hit a point where I might've found something good that I can get rolling. So I decided to roll up a gun-loving street sam with a bit of a passion for older hardware. But it's been two years since I ran anything in 5e, and even that was one chargen for a failed game that completely failed to -launch.- I keep having this nagging feeling that I'm totally forking up my build, but I don't know how to fix it or even if I'm right. Since I'm using Chummer5 I'll be tossing this in screenshots- but here's what I got so far. The priority set I went with was 

Attributes > Skills > Resources > Metatype > Mundane

http://imgur.com/a/KezvD

... I admit I still got some cash to spend on ammo (And to figure out how the heck licenses are being handled in this game, so I can tweak gear) but is he even decent?
"There's a reason Johnsons are named what they are. They'll try and fuck you at some point, no doubt about it." -Camulus

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <08-31-17/0408:26> »
FYI: If you use Chummer you can use the print option and select "Text" to receive an easy to post character.

Your array is good, but there are a few points that could be tweaked:

Your Ini is somewhat low: You are guaranteed to get two passes, but to get a third one you need to roll a 10+ with two d6.
I'd suggest using reaction enhancers. Those are quite cheap and compatible with wired reflexes while you have wifi enabled. They'll also help to shore up your defense pool. Softcapping AGI instead of Intuition will also improve your ini and defense. Agi is a lot easier to boost than Int and the latter is also very useful for perception checks (which is probably the most often rolled test in the game)

Skill wise it is better to invest fully in your primary abilities and also get a specialization. Skillgroup firearms is generally seen as a waste. It is better to focus on one or two weapons + a melee skill (For sams Automatics/Pistols and Unarmed are a good fit for maximum in flexibility)

You also have too many weapons (yes really) for a starting chara. You can't wear them all at the same time and it's generally quite easy to replace lost gear (just pick stuff up that your opponents have dropped)

For cyberware I can recommend getting only smartlink and maybe flare comp implanted and getting the rest way cheaper through contact lenses, glasses or in a mask/helmet.
Invest in Titanium bone lacing (used) - it gives you an enormous boost to survivability and also adds a lot of damage to unarmed combat (never be disarmed)
Those go well together with striking calluses from Chrome Flesh for a total +5 DV to unarmed.

talk think matrix

To strive, to seek, to find and not to yield
Revenant Kynos Isaint Rex

Tassyr

• Chummer
« Reply #2 on: <08-31-17/0414:12> »
FYI: If you use Chummer you can use the print option and select "Text" to receive an easy to post character.

Your array is good, but there are a few points that could be tweaked:

Your Ini is somewhat low: You are guaranteed to get two passes, but to get a third one you need to roll a 10+ with two d6.
I'd suggest using reaction enhancers. Those are quite cheap and compatible with wired reflexes while you have wifi enabled. They'll also help to shore up your defense pool. Softcapping AGI instead of Intuition will also improve your ini and defense. Agi is a lot easier to boost than Int and the latter is also very useful for perception checks (which is probably the most often rolled test in the game)

Skill wise it is better to invest fully in your primary abilities and also get a specialization. Skillgroup firearms is generally seen as a waste. It is better to focus on one or two weapons + a melee skill (For sams Automatics/Pistols and Unarmed are a good fit for maximum in flexibility)

You also have too many weapons (yes really) for a starting chara. You can't wear them all at the same time and it's generally quite easy to replace lost gear (just pick stuff up that your opponents have dropped)

For cyberware I can recommend getting only smartlink and maybe flare comp implanted and getting the rest way cheaper through contact lenses, glasses or in a mask/helmet.
Invest in Titanium bone lacing (used) - it gives you an enormous boost to survivability and also adds a lot of damage to unarmed combat (never be disarmed)
Those go well together with striking calluses from Chrome Flesh for a total +5 DV to unarmed.

Yeah, I figured on retrospect that I kinda went overboard on the guns. I originally had this idea of him having 'a gun for every occasion' and simply swapping what he needs when he needs it, but I think I went crazy going for all the pretty toys.

As for the 'ware, I'd intended his melee skills to be secondary (The group has someone covering that.) More just "If things go sour he's not useless there," so I might not go for the bone-lacing. Might, might not.

The only thing I don't get right off the bat; "Softcapping AGI instead of Intuition will also improve your ini and defense. Agi is a lot easier to boost than Int and the latter is also very useful for perception checks (which is probably the most often rolled test in the game)." I'm... yeah I'm completely lost there. I missed something critical. Can you explain what you mean in a bit more detail? And yes, I KNOW I'm bein' dense. 

And since the skills are getting redone- where would you put the five skill group points, then? Stealth?
« Last Edit: <08-31-17/0416:15> by Tassyr »
"There's a reason Johnsons are named what they are. They'll try and fuck you at some point, no doubt about it." -Camulus

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <08-31-17/0518:09> »
No problem:
Soft capping and Hard capping refer to the fact that you can only have one attribute at it's natural max (hard capping) while all the others must stay one point below (soft capping). I meant: Get Intuition to 6 and reduce Agility accordingly.

As for unarmed: Don't underestimate the utility of being a capable combatant without your weapons. Being shut down because all your gear is gone sucks mightily. High DV is also nice if you have to break down a door. Once your base DV is at 9 very few prisons can hold you.
talk think matrix

Tassyr

• Chummer
« Reply #4 on: <08-31-17/0555:13> »
Ahhhhh. NOW I get it. I've retooled him as you suggested- and that's damn good info. Thanks!

ShadowcatX

• Omae
« Reply #5 on: <08-31-17/0639:42> »
Mechanically, human will be better for your concept than elf, elf is getting you +1 dice, human would give you 4 additional rerolls per game.

Most samurai builds are resources A or B. It isn't necessary, but is pretty standard. (The previously mentioned bone lacing, for example, is a big boost in survivability.)

I don't see any qualities, what ones are you thinking about?

Tassyr

• Chummer
« Reply #6 on: <08-31-17/0714:15> »
Honestly I don't know what qualities. I'll get there tomorrow probably, as it's 4am. Though if you have any suggestions I'd be happy to listen. The intended background for this guy was 'merc gone off the grid.'

(As for why I've tried to focus more on skills- small group this time around, meaning some things will have to double up.)
« Last Edit: <08-31-17/0720:38> by Tassyr »

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #7 on: <08-31-17/0724:43> »
Elf is nice though. +Agi is always useful, Low Light vision that can't be taken away easily and Cha that helps you with Composure tests (quite valuable), not to mention being able to buy some hits so you can attend social situations without causing a riot/HTR team

If you want to see a perfectly viable Elf Sam, take a look at Kynos in my signature.

Edit:
Qualities to consider:
Agile Defender: Add Agi instead of Wil to your full defense
Quick Healer: +2 to healing tests
Jack of all trades: Buy Rank 1 skills for 1 Karma, save one Karma for every skill point bought up to Rank 5 (after that it gets expensive)
« Last Edit: <08-31-17/0733:03> by Jack_Spade »
talk think matrix