NEWS

Spells and Edge

• 21 Replies

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
  • Scraping the bottom of the Resonance Barrel
« Reply #15 on: <08-31-17/1232:37> »
Sure. You could probably order 1000 pounds of fertilizer online today too. Just don't be surprised if you wake up to a search warrant.

That's looking at things the wrong way though.  A runner doesn't buy a lump sum of reagents online; a talismonger contact of their's buys the reagents, which isn't strange.  Then they buy from the talismonger with an untraceable credstick, and the talismonger just makes it look (in his records) like he sold that many throughout the day, having a really good day of sales.  What's a questionable amount for one person is a lot less questionable for five people who just needed a lot for their big plans (like a major ritual or a marathon of binding spirits).

Or you're getting it directly from an illegal talislegger and there's just no records at all; though in this case you wouldn't be able to get them all right away if you ask for more than the talislegger has.  But if they're making any kind of profit, they would probably need to getting a whole lot.
I'm Madpath Moth on reddit (and other sites).  Feel free to PM me errata questions!
Jeeze.  It would almost sound stupid until you realize we're talking about an immortal elf clown sword fighting a dragon ghost in a mall.

ShadowcatX

• Omae
« Reply #16 on: <08-31-17/1509:04> »
Stores don't expect to sell 1 reagent at a time. Remember, a mage can burn 150 in a single day binding a single spirit. A mage trying to set up a lodge? They're going to buy several hundred as well.

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #17 on: <08-31-17/1644:26> »
Stores don't expect to sell 1 reagent at a time. Remember, a mage can burn 150 in a single day binding a single spirit. A mage trying to set up a lodge? They're going to buy several hundred as well.

Yup and that's a 3,000 sale. I guess it's up to your world view to determine how prepared a talismomger is to have multiple sales of that level in a specific tradition on hand. Maybe it's my sr1 magic rarity roots but to me that's not something they have in stock but something they can obtain on order. I mean yeah if a player wanted to spend time to hit multiple stores I'd go for it. In no way am I saying you are doing it wrong, I just assume smaller on hand stocks for a variety of reasons like theft and it costs money to sit on stock. But that's my game not everyone's.

&#24525;

« Reply #18 on: <08-31-17/1829:34> »
By the rules you could buy 5,000,000 drams online if you had the cash.
My comparison what in response to this.

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #19 on: <08-31-17/2218:37> »
By the rules you could buy 5,000,000 drams online if you had the cash.
My comparison what in response to this.

I don't disagree with your comparison. There is a point in buying things that can be weapons where word gets out to authorities, criminals, corps etc. and people for one reason or another will target you. The - availability only means it's so readily available you can buy what you want the only limit being the GMs limit for realism. But being able to buy excessive amounts of anything can have a variety of story effects.

ShadowcatX

• Omae
« Reply #20 on: <08-31-17/2251:51> »
It is unrealistic for a shop to carry large quantities of an item they sell in bulk? And this is in a game where a ten thousand year old clown sword fought a dragon in the streets of Denver.

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #21 on: <09-01-17/0007:05> »
It is unrealistic for a shop to carry large quantities of an item they sell in bulk? And this is in a game where a ten thousand year old clown sword fought a dragon in the streets of Denver.

Too me yes, given the item we are talking about. I suspect bulk buys are rare the kind of rare where you are expected to order it not just randomly drop but and find thousands in inventory for your tradition. But that's my game, not yours. And there have been some bad story decisions over the years I don't judge the entire setting on those choices.