NEWS

Command triggers?

• 3 Replies

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« on: <08-25-17/1501:57> »
I vaguely remember some limit on how often you can trigger a command trigger past its SA requirements.

Is it once a pass, if so is it because it's considered an attack so you couldn't activate a non attack spell and then shoot someone?

Is it's once a turn, if so wtf?

Am I just old and can't remember things and it's just a SA no extra limits.

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
  • Scraping the bottom of the Resonance Barrel
« Reply #1 on: <08-25-17/1944:39> »
It is a Simple Action with no limits, but others can apply.  If it's an attack spell, then it is an attack and thus you cannot make another attack action in the same pass.  But you can activate two non-attack preparations in the same pass if you want, similarly to how you could Reckless Cast two non-attack spells in the same pass if you wanted as well.  Just keep in mind you must have Line Of Sight to your preparation to activate a Command Trigger.
I'm Madpath Moth on reddit (and other sites).  Feel free to PM me errata questions!
Jeeze.  It would almost sound stupid until you realize we're talking about an immortal elf clown sword fighting a dragon ghost in a mall.

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #2 on: <08-26-17/0928:01> »
Thanks. I thought there was a errata or FAQ that changed it to once a pass but then I couldn't find it. Last I played was close to two years ago I think so I guess I'm just misremembering things.

Kiirnodel

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #3 on: <08-26-17/1144:48> »
You're not getting old or forgetful, there is a reference to only being able to trigger one preparation per Combat Turn in the Street Grimoire, pg 210; red sidebar, third bullet-point.

However, the sidebar is (supposedly) a rules clarification, and it even references the pages for the preparation rules in the CRB. It doesn't seem to be intended as a rules change, so this otherwise non-existent limitation to one per CT, is widely regarded as an error. Perhaps they meant one per Action Phase (per Pass, instead of per Turn). But yes, the more important limitation is the attack actions. As a GM I would urge that to be the primary limiting factor.