NEWS

Slaving, Wireless bonuses, and Noise

• 7 Replies

忍

« on: <08-24-17/1925:59> »
Quote from: Core 421
When an item has additional functionality when connected to the Matrix, it’s described under the “Wireless” entry in the item’s description. This functionality only applies when the device has access to the Matrix, which is most of the time unless your gamemaster says otherwise, like if you’ve entered a wireless static zone. If there is a Noise Rating from a situation that is greater than the item’s Device Rating, not including distance, the item temporarily loses its wireless functionality (see Noise, p. 230).

Presuming a smartgun is slaved to a higher Device Rating comm, would the gun no longer provide its bonus if there were a higher Noise rating? I feel that RAW the slaving doesn't matter, but it kinda makes sense in a way.

Thoughts?

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <08-25-17/0356:42> »
Yeah, by RAW you are boned if you come close to any noise source.
There is a dongle in DT that allows noise reduction for all equipment slaved as well as antennae and data jacks that should affect your whole PAN.

As GM I'd allow a direct connection to your commlink to be enough to circumvent the noise penalty.
talk think matrix

To strive, to seek, to find and not to yield
Revenant Kynos Isaint Rex

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
  • Scraping the bottom of the Resonance Barrel
« Reply #2 on: <08-25-17/0616:25> »
Yeah, by RAW you are boned if you come close to any noise source.
There is a dongle in DT that allows noise reduction for all equipment slaved as well as antennae and data jacks that should affect your whole PAN.

As GM I'd allow a direct connection to your commlink to be enough to circumvent the noise penalty.

RAW, nothing even says what the Noise Reduction provided by a datajack even applies too--  Because no rules say "directly connected devices share noise reduction" or anything, the datajack's NR only applies to itself.  Which is much less useful.

Not saying I think it should be that way...  Noise is a poorly defined mechanic that falls apart when analyzed or used.  Like when you consider the fact that an ad blitz of Noise rating 3 would disconnect everyone's AR glasses, completely defeating itself and just pissing off every consumer in the area.  Cybereyes would likewise lose connection (unless Alpha or better), basic drones would lose connection, residential security devices and systems would lose connection...
I'm Madpath Moth on reddit (and other sites).  Feel free to PM me errata questions!
Jeeze.  It would almost sound stupid until you realize we're talking about an immortal elf clown sword fighting a dragon ghost in a mall.

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <08-25-17/0905:08> »
Yeah,
the Receiver Dongle is the only one that explicitly states:

"RECEIVER
Just plug this dongle into your commlink and you get Noise Reduction 2 for your commlink and all slaved devices! Great for spam zones"

The Antennae have the following, somewhat cryptic text:
"Each antenna, to a maximum of three, reduces Noise by 1 for the user. And only the user."

I mean, what is that supposed to mean? Noise reduction for all gear you use? Only for the device your persona is on? Only for you and your living persona?

talk think matrix

To strive, to seek, to find and not to yield
Revenant Kynos Isaint Rex

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #4 on: <08-25-17/1006:17> »
I'll bring this up with the errata team.  Personally I think NR applying to slaved devices would be fine, so that's probably what I'll suggest.
I'm Madpath Moth on reddit (and other sites).  Feel free to PM me errata questions!
Jeeze.  It would almost sound stupid until you realize we're talking about an immortal elf clown sword fighting a dragon ghost in a mall.

The Bald Man

• Chummer
« Reply #5 on: <08-26-17/1154:20> »
Understand check for myself:
DR 2 Smartgun slaved to...
DR 4 Commlink subjected to..
Spam noise of 3.  Everything still works because the R4 'link is teh master, right?

Sphinx

• Errata Team
  • Omae
« Reply #6 on: <08-26-17/1159:28> »
Understand check for myself:
DR 2 Smartgun slaved to...
DR 4 Commlink subjected to..
Spam noise of 3.  Everything still works because the R4 'link is teh master, right?

That's how I play it.

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #7 on: <08-26-17/1707:28> »
As written (and, logically) the smartgun would be suppressed, because even though the DR 4 commlink is able to send signals to the gun, the gun isn't able to send any back.  I would houserule that Noise Reduction applies (and only applies) to all devices in your PAN.  As in, your datajack is slaved to your commlink, and so provides it's 1 NR to the commlink and everything else slaved to the commlink.