NEWS

Technomancers and smartlink

• 6 Replies

Vaarsuvius

• Newb
« on: <08-03-17/2101:38> »
Sooooooo... well it came up in our last game that the technomancer realized that he doesn't have a smart link gun. This brought up the question would a smartlink give him 1 die or two dice? He didn't technically spend essence for his connection, but his connection is stronger than if he had.

What is the interwebs thoughts on the matter?

&#24525;

« Reply #1 on: <08-03-17/2257:13> »
Well there's a number of variables present.

Does the TM have smartlink vision from contacts, goggles, etc?
Does the TM have a gun with the smartgun accessory?
Are there any houserules being used in regards to TM and smartlink?

As per RAW, merely having smartlink vision via vision device and a smartgun gives +2 Accuracy and +1 die to hit.  Unless you want to have smartlink or cybereyes with it installed, you'll only get the one die. Once you go under the knife, you would get two dice.

Officerzan

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <08-04-17/1534:25> »
Technomancers cant hook up to a smartgun system to get benefits using their living persona. 4e had a complex form that allowed such I think but as far as I know 5e has no such form as of now. Maybe in the Technomancer splat when it comes out.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #3 on: <08-04-17/1616:35> »
Without implants (and ruining their Resonance), a TM needs one of two things to use a smartgun. Either they need gear (smartlink on a rifle scope, or in their glasses/goggles/contacts), or they need an echo to replicate the functions of the Smartgun software. And if they're spending an echo on it, I'd be willing to let them get the same benefit as an implanted smartlink.

Back in 4th, this wasn't an issue, since TMs could just have the Smartlink complex form, and be done with it. But then the nostalgia train came in at full speed dragging the Matrix back to the 50s, and fucking everything up along the way. And since TMs are the new riggers, I expect we'll be seeing the TM book drop just about the time 6E is released.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Sphinx

• Errata Team
  • Omae
« Reply #4 on: <08-04-17/1748:33> »
A complete smartgun system really has three parts:
(1) A smartgun for the weapon, either internal or external.
(2) A smartlink for the user, either implanted or worn (required for accuracy and dice pool modifiers).
(3) A direct neural interface between the weapon and the user (required for mental commands, e.g., change modes or eject a clip with a Free Action instead of a Simple Action)

The following reasoning goes a little beyond the basic description of a smartgun system (SR5 p.433), but bear with me a minute: A smartlink with no DNI is just a better laser sight; you get the accuracy bonus but can't send mental commands to the weapon. With a DNI but no smartlink, you could still command the weapon (Free Actions instead of Simple Actions), but wouldn't get the accuracy benefit. You need both the DNI and smartlink, plus a wireless Matrix connection, to gain the dice pool bonus ... +2 if you paid Essence (p.453) or +1 if you didn't (p.444). For a weak explanation of why the Matrix helps you shoot better, see "Wireless Functionality" (p.420) and "Wireless Bonuses" (p.421).

If a technomancer can access the Matrix with only their living persona, then they have the equivalent of a wetware datajack in their brain, which is good for the DNI requirement. They can interface with wireless devices (p.249). They could establish a non-wireless connection with the skinlink echo (Data Trails p.59) if they have it. With a smartgun accessory installed in their weapon, they can give mental commands as Free Actions. With a smartlink enhancement installed in glasses or contact lenses, they also qualify for the +2 Accuracy and +1 dice pool. But they can't get the +2 dice pool without paying Essence for the smartlink.

Vaarsuvius

• Newb
« Reply #5 on: <08-04-17/2225:31> »
Alright thanks guys.

&#24525;

« Reply #6 on: <08-06-17/1231:34> »
I've got some relevant homebrew if you're interested.