NEWS

I think I found the cure for CFD!

• 48 Replies

RowanTheFox

• Omae
« Reply #45 on: <04-29-17/1637:51> »
A global economic meltdown is pretty much inevitable. The shadowrun economy runs on capitalism gone mad. Capitalism depends on constant economic growth, which is utterly unsustainable in the long run.
I'll just point out that there have been two hard resets on the global economy in the Shadowrun timeline, and we're only 20 years after the last one.

I know, and it'll keep happening over and over because the powers that be are too arrogant and greedy (read: stupid) to learn. They'll just keep screwing themselves, and guess who gets to pay for it again? If you guessed "the little guy", then DING! Right again!
It is better to be crazy and know it, than to be sane and have one's doubts.

"Nothing is wrong if no one can stop you."

Remember, you're only a genius when they need you. The rest of the time you're just an asshole.

Well, drek. Looks like Timmy fell into the Dissonance Well again.

&#24525;

« Reply #46 on: <04-29-17/1922:24> »
Magic shouldn't be able to counter CFD.

The setting has WAY too much reliance on magic for all it's threats and cures. So it'd be nice if the new technological threat did not have a magical solution.

Magic fights magic. Resonance fights Resonance. It'd make more thematic sense that AIs and nanite would be able to cure the AI/nanite threat.

With Bugs and Shedim, magic is your best solution.

Back when it was Ex Pacis, you'd use your own Otaku.

When it was Deus, you had 2 other AIs there.

I'm just saying, you fight fire with fire.
Fire? Fire.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #47 on: <04-29-17/2206:17> »
I'm gonna have to disagree on your list of 'best' ways to deal with threats, DeathStrobe.

Normal spirits? Yes, magic is your best bet. But Bugs and Shedim? No. Any bug too strong to get taken down by an AK-97 firing capsule rounds of KE IV insecticide, or a Shedim too tough to get taken down by a grenade launcher on SA, is going to eat your mage for breakfast (perhaps literally). The best bet for bugs and shedim if you can't use violence is to de-ass the area immediately, and let someone with a higher caliber of violence take care of it.

For the rest, I'm a D&D player. That's where I started. You don't target the Cleric's Will save, the Fighter's Fort save, or the Rogue's Ref save. You just don't. That's stupid. Same with the threats you're talking about. You don't fight Pax or the uber AIs in the Matrix. You fight them in the meat, where you have hellaciously more options than they do, and you aren't playing to their strengths.

For CFD, the best counter is thermobaric munitions.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Adamo1618

« Reply #48 on: <05-01-17/1256:35> »
That's a very liberal interpretation of "cure".