NEWS

I think I found the cure for CFD!

• 48 Replies

RowanTheFox

• Omae
« on: <04-26-17/1549:54> »
Nanoplasmosis - Parazoology 2 Pg. 37

"This unusual protozoan infects nanosystems, destroying the nanites as if it were a competing species. This protozoan not only feeds on the organic compounds found in soft nanites, but it has the ability to resonate a field that jams individual nanites.
Nanoplasmosis degrades nanites faster by any remaining Power rating it has after a disease resistance test. If the Power is reduced to 0, one nanosystem is still reduced by 1. If an infected subject has a nanohive, the protozoans infiltrate the system, preventing the creation of new nanites. The going hypothesis is that the protozoan awakened within a netzumi and is transmitted through fecal matter." 
It is better to be crazy and know it, than to be sane and have one's doubts.

"Nothing is wrong if no one can stop you."

Remember, you're only a genius when they need you. The rest of the time you're just an asshole.

Well, drek. Looks like Timmy fell into the Dissonance Well again.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #1 on: <04-26-17/1604:43> »
It has been mentioned before, yes. Not a cure for CFD, especially since the CFD nanites are capable of reproducing with whatever the subject eats, without a nanohive. In someone already infected, it would slow the spread, essentially like giving chemo to someone with terminal cancer.

Where it has real potential is in people who are newly infected, or aren't infected. Nanoplasmosis could be used to innoculate people, essentially similar to giving people immune system boosters. So, no cure, but possible prevention.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

RowanTheFox

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <04-26-17/1618:08> »
It has been mentioned before, yes. Not a cure for CFD, especially since the CFD nanites are capable of reproducing with whatever the subject eats, without a nanohive. In someone already infected, it would slow the spread, essentially like giving chemo to someone with terminal cancer.

Where it has real potential is in people who are newly infected, or aren't infected. Nanoplasmosis could be used to innoculate people, essentially similar to giving people immune system boosters. So, no cure, but possible prevention.

Ok, I'm actually swiping this from a buddy because we were just having this same conversation and he came up with the idea: Nutrition Spell

Here me out. The nanites reproduce via whatever the subject eats, as you said. So, just deprive them of any other food sources and cast the Nutrition spell on them until you literally starve out the CFD nanites due to a lack of usable material. No food = No new material = The CFD nanites die off.

Now, there is a risk that the more feral strains will turn to auto-cannibalism to feed themselves, but in either case the subject is good as dead no matter what. There's also no way to be sure if the old personality (pre-infection) will reemerge, or if the person is forever lost.

Remember, you're only a genius when they need you. The rest of the time you're just an asshole.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <04-26-17/1637:11> »
Nutrition spell, combined with nanoplasmosis could have an effect, yes. However, you'd definitely need a mage willing to use a sustaining focus on the Nutrition spell for a period of days to weeks to fully cleanse the nanites. Not even going into any possible long-term effects of being under a Nutrition spell might be.

That simply stops the progress of CFD, and could indeed be a 'cure'. It would not reverse any damage already done, however, so an overwritten individual would not reemerge, and a partially overwritten personality would likely still maintain those overwritten personality traits. Though they would likely not black out any more.

My Characters

RowanTheFox

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <04-26-17/1657:03> »
Nutrition spell, combined with nanoplasmosis could have an effect, yes. However, you'd definitely need a mage willing to use a sustaining focus on the Nutrition spell for a period of days to weeks to fully cleanse the nanites. Not even going into any possible long-term effects of being under a Nutrition spell might be.

That simply stops the progress of CFD, and could indeed be a 'cure'. It would not reverse any damage already done, however, so an overwritten individual would not reemerge, and a partially overwritten personality would likely still maintain those overwritten personality traits. Though they would likely not black out any more.

Just need mages with Quickening, thought that might be a bit hard to find. There would definitely be side effects, but there's not a treatment for any illness that comes without side effects, and anything is better than remaining a headcase, IMO. The latter would be a good reason for at-risk individuals to have a backup of their own personality as a personafix.

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #5 on: <04-26-17/1657:58> »
It could also be argued that the nutrition spell also feeds the nanites due to the symbotic relationship between the nanites and the host body.

There is a cure for CFD.

Fire.
Lots of it. Applied directly to source of infection.
Keep application going until fine white ash is produced.

(Course, this cure sucks if you're infected mind you)
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

RowanTheFox

• Omae
« Reply #6 on: <04-26-17/1702:21> »
It could also be argued that the nutrition spell also feeds the nanites due to the symbotic relationship between the nanites and the host body.

There is a cure for CFD.

Fire.

I'm not setting FastJack on fire.

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #7 on: <04-26-17/1710:10> »
Personally, I prefer turning the patient into another form through the shape change spell to halt the infection (since its still technically bio- and cyberware which are rendered inert during the spell) or use Turn to Goo to pick out the hard nanites.
talk think matrix

To strive, to seek, to find and not to yield
Revenant Kynos Isaint Rex

Kiirnodel

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #8 on: <04-26-17/1723:04> »
Turn to Goo followed by Sludge Nanites might work.

The problem is targetting (nanites are small), and the number of nanites to "pick out" (nanites are numerous). Physically digging through a person's body while they are "Turned to Goo" might still kill them after the Goo has been restored.

RowanTheFox

• Omae
« Reply #9 on: <04-26-17/1734:34> »
There's also the option of casting Stabilize on them and pumping them full of enough EMP to euthanize an elephant, followed up by a Heal spell or other medical treatment. It'll fry the rest of their 'ware, but that's replaceable.

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #10 on: <04-26-17/1915:44> »

There is a cure for CFD.

Fire.

I'm not setting FastJack on fire.

Why not???

He's old, dry, and krusty! He'd go up like a match!
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
  • Scraping the bottom of the Resonance Barrel
« Reply #11 on: <04-26-17/1936:25> »
This makes me wonder...  From a metagame perspective, will CFD be "cured" in the manner a disease would be, "solved" like a problem, or "stopped" like a malevolent force?  Will there be a big climax?  Or is it more a matter of time...
I'm Madpath Moth on reddit (and other sites).  Feel free to PM me errata questions!
Jeeze.  It would almost sound stupid until you realize we're talking about an immortal elf clown sword fighting a dragon ghost in a mall.

knppel

• Newb
« Reply #12 on: <04-26-17/2240:50> »
We need new, better, naniten hunters, with STRONGER personalities to not lose to the virus!
Fight fire with fire!

Adamo1618

« Reply #13 on: <04-27-17/0524:11> »
CFD is more of a "Fuck you, can't be solved" type of plot twist than anything else. Electric damage, hardwired Nanite Hunters, Immunization to Soft Nanites along with only eating organic matter, none of them is effective. Or any other for that matter. The best solution is "Deal with it and roll up a new character".

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #14 on: <04-27-17/1031:12> »
Personally, I prefer turning the patient into another form through the shape change spell to halt the infection (since its still technically bio- and cyberware which are rendered inert during the spell) or use Turn to Goo to pick out the hard nanites.
Hmm. Now there's an idea. Not the Turn to Goo followed by physically picking millions of microscopic nanites out of the goo, that's just silly. But using magic to alter the form of the target, thereby suppressing their ware...

Yeah, a variant of the Shapechange spell that allows you to turn the target into another metahuman form would suppress CFD and its effects during the spell's duration. Wouldn't be a cure, and unless the target was a Mage, Adept, or Face, their running career might be over (due to not having that helpful ware anymore), but they would be alive, and themselves AS THEY CURRENTLY ARE.

Fun fact, that last bit means that you could also use the spell to 'lock in' the CFD persona if you cast it while it was in control.

My Characters