NEWS

Modular Limbs

• 49 Replies

忍

« Reply #30 on: <04-28-17/2338:33> »
Like I said, the way you just laid it out is how I thought it was supposed to be. But according to Wakshanni, the intent was apparently for the Modular Connector to allow you to connect any normal limb to that port. Essentially, if you've bought the connector, you don't also have to purchase the limb as modular.
So what does buying a modular limb do? If buying a modular full limb is effectively the same as buying a modular connector and a regular limb, then why have an entry for the modular limb?
The first sentence of the description of the Modular Limb gear entry on page 88 of Chrome Flesh is the part that confuses me: "Any cyberlimb may be purchased with a modular connector, allowing it to be connected to another modular connector." By that statement, it seems like the gear is saying that for a limb to be able to connect to other modular connectors, you have to purchase it as a "modular limb"

I guess the intent was for the "cost" to come out of one side or the other, not both.
Can you locate for me said intent? I may have read it already but misinterpreted it.

So, based on what Wakshaani has said, if you've bought the modular Shoulder connector, you get to connect a full arm (no loss in capacity). Then you install a Elbow connector, which allows you to connect a lower arm, with a wrist connector and a then a hand.

So your base Essence cost would be 1.3 (1 for the Arm, + 0.3 for the connector).
Your upper arm would have 5 capacity (15 - [10] for the connector)
Your lower arm would have 5 capacity (10 - [5] for the connector)
Your hand would have 4 capacity.

As I've said, Shinobu, my original reading was the same as yours. The modular connector was required to utilize a modular limb. But I guess if you have the modular connector port the cost of making a normal cyberlimb "plug in" is negligible. Buying the Modular limb version (the one that costs extra nuyen and has less capacity) is like buying a limb with the connector taking up part of that limb, rather than taking up space in the body.
If you can buy a connector-included modular limb, why bother listing the modular connectors? The limbs would just come with them?!

>.<

Rooks

• Omae
« Reply #31 on: <04-29-17/0135:44> »
If expensive but ya Cyber genitalia has a capacity of 1 so Cyberfangs and maybe One-shot dartgun are viable options, one could argue cyber finger accessories are viable too Finger pistol Finger grenade Cyberlighter Cyberlight Credstick Glass cutter Lockpick "Injector"
Man, you cheered me up there.
Just the image of a runner pulling out his penis and placing it on the counter for payment. Genius. You should also consider the bulk modification

Though what I meant was: If it's an actual "limb", you could install a waste storage and modular connector and then install modular gear. Like an actual pistol. It's listed under cosmetics, however.
[suspicious] Speaking of which, there could be a run where the client has had it stolen .... how did we get to this topic.[/suspicious]

Has someone already calculated which combination gives you the most capacity/essence?

Hate to break it to you, but cybergenitals don't have 1 capacity, they take up 1 capacity. You can install a replacement set into a cybertorso. Y'know, for those horribly mangled cases that still want to get down with a partner and perform horizontal cyber-tango.
They are not a limb, they can't hold additional gear, etc.

BS there should be a modular connector for Mr Johnson and his Plan B

Kiirnodel

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #32 on: <04-29-17/0153:06> »
Can you locate for me said intent? I may have read it already but misinterpreted it.
Post 3 of this very thread for 1. It was also mentioned (by Wakshaani) in the very sizable Chrome Flesh Errata thread I believe. Here's his post from the first page of this thread though:

You have two basic options:

Get a modular connector installed on your body, paying out Essence, at which point you can use normal cyberlimbs and swap them when you want (the limbs have full capacity and whatnot fo rthe type that you get)

*or*

buy Modular Cyberlimbs, which have a reduced capacity due to having the modular connector built into -them- rather than your flesh.

SO!

The Modular Limbs all have a lil' less Capacity than normal, to take that into account. A modular -wrist- lets you attach normal hands, while a modular -hand- has a little less capacity but doesn't cost you that connector Essence.

if that makes sense.

I should have taken way more space to lay out some examples, but, Chrome Flesh is *bulging* with stuff, and I was killin' my word budget, even without the missing Chrome Kings section.

(incidently, Tater Tot, found in the story before the drones section of Rigger 5, has a modular cyberarm. Should anyone want to see one in action to a limited degree.)

So what does buying a modular limb do? If buying a modular full limb is effectively the same as buying a modular connector and a regular limb, then why have an entry for the modular limb?

[...]

If you can buy a connector-included modular limb, why bother listing the modular connectors? The limbs would just come with them?!

>.<
So, if we take Wakshaani's explanation as truth, then the "Modular Limbs" in the book are essentially Limbs where the modular connector is built in. That's why they have less capacity and cost a little extra, because there is space taken up by the extra shenanigans that are required to make the limb detachable.

OR, you can buy a modular connector separately, which either uses up extra essence, or takes up space in an existing cyberlimb, but allows you to connect a fully functional cyberlimb without all the extra junk that makes the modular limbs have less capacity.

&#24525;

« Reply #33 on: <04-29-17/1454:42> »
So for obvious, full arm options I have:

A. Regular arm + Modular connector = 1.3 Essence and 15 Capacity

B. Modular full arm = 1 Essence and 12 Capacity

Right?

Kiirnodel

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #34 on: <04-29-17/1922:24> »
That is my understanding, yes.

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #35 on: <05-02-17/1224:22> »
So for obvious, full arm options I have:

A. Regular arm + Modular connector = 1.3 Essence and 15 Capacity

B. Modular full arm = 1 Essence and 12 Capacity

Right?

Correct!

&#24525;

« Reply #36 on: <05-02-17/1711:36> »
If I want a completely modular arm, as in upper, lower, and wrist being separate, must I still install the connectors?

Or is a modular full arm already in three parts?

Kiirnodel

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #37 on: <05-02-17/1734:55> »
You have to add the connectors. The "modular" version of a limb just covers the fact that it itself can be swapped out. Otherwise it would specify how much of the limb's capacity was in each section.

Side note: it would be kind of cool to have a 3-section limb set-up so that we could have a synthetic fully modular limb.

&#24525;

« Reply #38 on: <05-02-17/1748:34> »
I've just been using obvious for example's sake. I don't see why you couldn't have synthetic modular limbs. There's even fluff about having them. I do agree however that a 3-piece suite would be pretty sweet. [/pun]

UnLimiTeD

• Omae
« Reply #39 on: <05-03-17/1807:26> »
You can keep your obvious cyber at a meet and just swap in a synthetic hand, that should easily cover the visible part. Or a lower arm for the improved skin, but you'll keep good capacity in the upper part.
Still waiting on a Vector-Thrust Liminal Body.

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #40 on: <05-04-17/0145:48> »
If I want a completely modular arm, as in upper, lower, and wrist being separate, must I still install the connectors?

Or is a modular full arm already in three parts?

The Modular Arm defaults to only one connector, at the highest terminus. If you want more connectors, then you have to pay out of your Capacity. So, a modular arm (comes with a shoulder connector) could get a modular lower arm (connects at the elbow) and/or a modular hand (connects at the wrist)

You gotta pay for those extra connections, tho.

UnLimiTeD

• Omae
« Reply #41 on: <05-10-17/1440:34> »
I got a related question. Not actually sure if I haven't asked it before, but here goes:
If I only install a connector, and no Limb, do I pay no essence for the Cyberlimb?

Rooks

• Omae
« Reply #42 on: <05-10-17/1500:30> »
if you just install the connector then you just pay the essence for the connector course you have now a stump that doesnt do anything if you connect a cyber arm to the connector you pay the essense of the arm you connect to it

UnLimiTeD

• Omae
« Reply #43 on: <05-10-17/1553:38> »
So what is the essence cost of adding a taser?

Tym Jalynsfein

• Chummer
« Reply #44 on: <05-23-17/1059:17> »
So what is the essence cost of adding a taser?

A Taser should fit into Capacity...
The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary. - James. D. Nicoll