NEWS

Bye, Bye Blackbird IC

• 187 Replies

Qwikfix

« Reply #150 on: <05-14-17/2230:06> »
There was a few minutes of anticipated wait time after Arc sent the message, enough to drive her mad.  Luckily, she had the commands of Yelena to distract her, the mechanic busying herself with following orders, mapping out the area and scouting with her little bugs to get them as aware of their operating point as possible.

So when it came for her comm to go off from the anticipated reply, the human practically jumped in her seat in response...

<<@Arc: Message for Arc, re: request to Chesh for assistance.  This is Snap, I don't know if you remember me, I saw you and your crew before in Carroll's.  The gnome hiding in the back?  Anyhow, told you got something I might be able to help you with and that there might be some payment involved.  Shoot me the deets and I'll see what I can drum up.>>

Smiling, the tusked girl closed her eyes as she composed her response, logging in the commcode as belonging to this "Snap."

<<@Snap{Arc}: Hoi.  Gonna admit parts of that night were a blur after that fiery event.  Hope Chesh and Daisy weren't hurt bad from that, really.  Yeah, I got something for you, coding Alpha Too Three Niner...  Here the encryption sets in, but should be doable.  Thanks Firefly << So right now me an m'team  be hoop deep in Poland, recovering from a job.  We'll be leaving soon, but something's come up what one of us be wantin' to do.   Problem is, that something...someone...is on a private plane gearing to take off.  We don't want that to happen.  We got mojo to do it, but the dude's mojo as well, so risky. 

We need 'Trix hijinks.  You remember Firefly, but she ain't with us, dealing with her stuff.

Now, I've promised Carroll's my next total scrap that comes by my garage for offering yeh, but I've got a few K in jing I can throw your way too.  Job needs done within the next 90 minutes...think you got it?>>

<<Attachment: areamap.png>>

Jayde Moon

• Administrator
  • Ace Runner
  • Shadowrun Missions Developer
« Reply #151 on: <05-15-17/0034:23> »
Snap looked over the datafiles.  Hrm, private airfield... private jet... 90 minutes from now...

<<@Arc: So let me get this straight, you don't want the plane to take off.  Ever?  It's doable, in any case.  The short notice shouldn't be a problem.  Shoot me the parameters and I'll see to it.>>

As she closed the message, she rolled out from under the Americar.  It occurred to her that she might have negotiated a price.  She shrugged, it would work itself out.  The airfield was halfway across the world, atmospheric interference would be an issue.  Happily, the shop boasted a fresnel fabric lined signal amplifier.  She could easily line it up with the airfield and cut through a majority of the interference.
That's just like... your opinion, man.

gilga

• Prime Runner
« Reply #152 on: <05-15-17/0049:58> »
Marco moved uncomfortably in his chair and to keep his hands busy started cleaning his assault rifle, it was a retro one that was very common in Redmond - the AK-97. The gun did not have all the gizmo's of the Ares Alpha but was highly resistant to dust and could even be used underwater - or so the rumors said. At any case, he was happy to find one in the safe house. 

He looked at Na'Nele and said, "close up. we got ranged covered and are limited by shelter rather than gunpower.  I think that there is something about you that will draw Gabriel's attention."

ismilealot

• Ace Runner
« Reply #153 on: <05-15-17/0138:47> »
As the flyspies closed in on the perimeters of the estate Arc's picture went fuzzy and then dead. Noise.
Thought      Speech     Astral     Matrix/com       Mentor/Spirit     other lang.

farothel

• Prime Runner
« Reply #154 on: <05-15-17/0243:16> »
He looked at Na'Nele and said, "close up. we got ranged covered and are limited by shelter rather than gunpower.  I think that there is something about you that will draw Gabriel's attention."

"Close up it is," Na'Nele said, opening her bag and first taking out her pistol, "and don't worry, it's not the first time I'm in a fight with awakened."
Even though she had cleaned it in the morning, she checked it again and then slid in a clip with shock rounds.
"Since you were talking about interrogating this person, I'll use shock rounds," she added, "interrogation is easier if his brains aren't leaking on the tarmac."
She also checked out her taser.  it was only a secondary weapon, but at close range it could still be very useful and it was non-lethal.

Next she took out the scabbard which housed her sword.  She slid it out partially to check if it came out easily and then she put it back in the bag.  While she could explain a pistol away, it would be more difficult with a sword.  The same she did with her Ares Alpha.  Just check it, make sure a clip was in (regular ammo in this case) and then put it back.  She also made sure that there was a flash bang grenade in the first slot of her grenade launcher.  In her experience it was quite difficult to start casting spells when your brain felt on fire due to loud noises and a light show.

She also checked her goggles to make sure the smartgun systems were operational for both her pistol and rifle.  If her old Ares masters had taught her one thing, it was that preparation was key in a successful operation.  Check and double check so you didn't have to spend time checking your equipment during the op.
"So, what's the plan," she asked as they approached the airfield.
« Last Edit: <05-15-17/0335:05> by farothel »
"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
"I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute"

gilga

• Prime Runner
« Reply #155 on: <05-15-17/0629:31> »
Marco nodded - though they could work miracles with the medic kit and heal spell she had a point. Looking at all that gear he said half to himself half to Na'Nele... "not bad... not bad at all"

Qwikfix

« Reply #156 on: <05-15-17/1014:24> »
<<@Arc: So let me get this straight, you don't want the plane to take off.  Ever?  It's doable, in any case.  The short notice shouldn't be a problem.  Shoot me the parameters and I'll see to it.>>
<<@Snap {Arc}: No need for permanent.  Enough to keep the passenger on the ground for some time while we handle things.  How that happens is to you.  We are en route now if you need to contact in person>>

Sending over the rest of the parameters, Arc shifted her focus to see her drones had lost connection.  Drek.  She felt fortunate that she had programmed a failsafe after having that issue while helping Yelena pull that hit: the drones were to remain in place until signal was regained...which shouldn't be long with their trajectory.

"Matrix support ish covered." Arc blurted out, looking at the others with a relieved smirk on her face.  "Trushted contact, will do the work."

Csjarrat

• Prime Runner
  • UK based GM + player
« Reply #157 on: <05-15-17/1657:37> »
"Then you do that," Na'Nele said to Lena, "I'm better close up.  I'm used to going in jungles and there you don't have those long ranges."
She nodded and checked chamber, slotting rounds into the speed loaders and stashing them on her person.

Yelena smiles at Lena.  "Thank you.  Which side?  Poland or Slovakia.  Yelena go Slovakian side once.  Was many years ago....maybe twenty?  Yelena working in Europe then.  Very pretty place.  Yelena was hunting, too."
Polish side mainly, but the slovakian side has its merits. Its a good route for my line of work so most of my "hunting trips" don't see much actual hunting get done. I love it up there though, azure blue lakes and stunning vistas. Just got to keep at least one eye on your tech though, some nasty beasties live up there. You bag any trophies on your trip? She replied, interested in what the foreigner had to say.
She continued the ritual, donning the helmet and clipping her monocle glass onto its ready rail, flicking it down and re-syncing it to her commlink, testing the image mag, enhancements and pushed her earbuds in uncomfortably far.
She'd learned her lesson years back in the 'force. "Fail to prepare, prepare to fail" It had been a mantra, one that had been recited so many times it might as well have been tattooed on her cortex.
She slipped her knucks into her jacket pocket, ready in case something went down and toyed with the familar grip as she sat ready, mentally preparing for what lay ahead.
Speech
Thought
Matrix
Astral
Mentor

Jayde Moon

• Administrator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #158 on: <05-15-17/1736:38> »
Snap looked over all of the information Arc sent.  It gave her the airfield, the plane in question, the time it was meant to leave.  Everything she needed to do what they asked.  She moved to the amplifier and sat in it.  Reaching over to Poland wasn't going to be easy, but the device would help.  Happily, she wasn't going to be doing the heavy lifting and for her sprites, there would be no interference for distance or even spam, once they got in the Airport's Host.

She had a plan.  And a back-up plan.

Plan A was to shut down the control tower.  It would take some time to get it up and running again.  In the meantime, most flights would be grounded without the ability to coordinate air traffic.  This should buy the team the time they needed.  If it didn't work, then simply bricking the plane was the next option.

Closing her eyes, she entered the virtual stream.  As usual, she felt a rush of euphoria.  The Matrix is where she belonged, she often felt.  More a home than the real world.  She called on one of her registered sprites to accompany her.  The first thing she wanted to do was get a good look at the host.

Arriving in virtual Poland, she found the host easily enough.  It wasn't hidden, after all, a very public host tasked with running so many of the necessary functions.  She'd have to get in and find the control tower.

Do me a favor and scan the Host, tell me what you find.

Certainly!

The sprite began looking over the host alongside Snap.  The two of them approaching the virtual structure from multiple sides.  It was unimaginatively sculpted to appear as it did in the meat world, an long building accessible from one side.  It took the two of them about five seconds to learn the most basic fact.

The Airport Host is running on a Rating 6 platform, nothing overly impressive.

Thank you.  I don't need you anymore for now, wait for me to return.

Well, that said a lot more than just that.  It gave Snap an idea of the processor and how strong the firewall might be.  It was enough information to begin a hack.  Getting into the host would be the hardest part, for that she wanted to be sure she had a hand.  She reached out into the resonance stream and began to compile.  Taking strands of ephemeral code, she wove it into a complex entity.  It took just a few moments and all of her concentration but she managed.  It took a lot out of her and even from VR she could feel the headache setting in.

Hello.  Ready to crack heads.

We are going to assist one another in entering that host there.

The sprite turned to regard the host.

Great.  When do we start?

We can start now, I'll wait once we get inside.  We'll set my MARK first, then one for you.

Alright!  Let's do it.

« Last Edit: <05-16-17/1339:25> by Jayde Moon »

Mercy Merchant

• Prime Runner
« Reply #159 on: <05-16-17/1010:01> »
Yelena sits with her sniper rifle across her knees and nods.  "Yes.  Yelena find what look for and kill it.  Place was pretty but not go Polish side."

She lifts her head up and looks at Arc when the drone feeds stop.  Nodding, she looks at Lena.  "Drones down.  Not sure if site is occupied or watched.  Need be careful.  Watch for others when get in place."  Looking over at Arc, she knows her Srui is doing her best to get her eyes back online and Yelena asking unnecessary questions will not help so she just gives her a confident nod.
"Speech"  *Thought*  <Matrix>

farothel

• Prime Runner
« Reply #160 on: <05-16-17/1514:08> »
"An airport probably doesn't want drones overhead without clearance," Na'Nele remarked, "they can collide with an airplane and they don't want that, right?"

"Another thing," she said, "we need communications while on the job.  Some sort of network between us for instant communication.  Who's best to set that up?"
She looked at the woman controlling the drones.
"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
"I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute"

ismilealot

• Ace Runner
« Reply #161 on: <05-16-17/1709:50> »
The ride to Poland is exhilarating as Snap hops from network to network, node to node. Most are commercial fraught with ads and distractions meant to get the casual surfer to stop and shop. Snap passes them all by in a whirlwind blur of color. But then comes the real work, hacking into the server for Poland and figuring out what host that jet is on.
Thought      Speech     Astral     Matrix/com       Mentor/Spirit     other lang.

Qwikfix

« Reply #162 on: <05-16-17/2107:06> »
Arc growled a little in frustration as she realized she wasn't getting the feeds back when she should have.  The ork woman was probably right, but before she could think of a response, the other issue of communication came up.  Giving a smirk, Arc pulled her backpack onto her lap, digging through before pulling out a set of small bags.

"Microtranschievahs.  Given our working range, won't even need the 'Trix to work.  I can hook em up to comms if anyone's diving VR.  Works, yeah?"  Distributing the lot to the group, the human went back to her other issue, pulling out her RCC and giving it a few taps.

"...They probably using a specific shet of narrow band-passh filtahs to keep the frequencies they want going while jammin' up those they don't.  Makesh a lot of senshe..."  Grinning tuskily, she flipped her RCC over on her lap, pulling up the sleeve covering her cyberarm.  "Sho if I set up a variable band gain loop through the output signal generation and use a FM shweep..." 

She kept muttering as her hands and fingers reconfigured, becoming various tools as she worked the bare circuitry of her console, shifting her signal to press through the Noise...at least enough to get the recall command out to her fly-spys....

Jayde Moon

• Administrator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #163 on: <05-17-17/1353:24> »
Wait, give me ten.

Snap opened her eyes for a moment, dropping out of VR.  She fished into her pocket and puled out a small vial.  Inside was a square tab.  Made of gel, it was infused with the drug known as Psyche.  She didn't take it often, but this was the first time she was going up against something that might try to murder her since she escaped from Technohack!tm.

She popped it into her mouth and let is dissolve under her tongue.  She got up and walked over to the refrigeration unit and pulled out a drink and a snack.  Returning to the amplifier.  She took a few minutes to look up information on the airfield, finding that it operating on the SSH grid that covered most of Poland.  With that, she closed her eyes and returned to VR, still in the rea.

It only took a moment for both the sprite and her to jump onto the SSH grid.  With that, they began their hacking.  It would only take a single MARK to enter the system.  Her plan did not require her any more access than Guest.  As long as she was in the Host, she'd be able to accomplish her task.

She started by ensuring the sprite would have access.  The two of them worked together and cut the code that would grant the sprite the single MARK it needed to get inside.  It took only a second to establish the MARK.

The Host has the most robust firewall available to it's platform.

That was useful information.  It meant the sprite had an advantage, but that Snap herself might find it a bit more challenging.  She was never by herself, but she wasn't absolutely certain this was in the bag.

The coding was injected and... nothing.  No MARK granted.

Drek.  Of course, that meant the Host had been able to place its own MARK.  This early in the process, the fix was simple.  Snap removed her consciousness from the Matrix, essentially 'rebooting' herself.  Then she reentered the Matrix and sent her consciousness streaming back across the world.  The sprite was waiting.

We try again.

The second time, they are able to get a MARK onto the system.

Alright, steady as she goes, no need to get inside just yet.

Snap had plenty of time before she needed to act, half an hour was plenty of time to hold off entering the Host.  By then, the alert from her previous botched attempt to sleaze a MARK onto the Host will have subsided and she'd be able to enter without scrutiny, just another legitimate user.

Of course, GOD was looking for her, but she had something for that.  She quickly threaded a veil around her and then camped out near the host, waiting.

ismilealot

• Ace Runner
« Reply #164 on: <05-18-17/1827:51> »
Private homes of the wealthy always had security measures in place. But, right now the air is quiet, peaceful, the crisp, cold morning looking like a postcard day in the woods.

[spoiler][/spoiler]