NEWS

Does anyone know the reasoning behind non-human species?

• 52 Replies

Ghost Rigger

• Omae
« Reply #15 on: <04-01-17/1427:18> »
Actually, it was more complicated than that. We interbred with them too, so while there was probably some murder going on it was moreso a case of out-competing them.
After all you don't send an electrician to fix your leaking toilet.

A Guide to Gridguide

RowanTheFox

• Omae
« Reply #16 on: <04-01-17/1430:30> »
Actually, it was more complicated than that. We interbred with them too, so while there was probably some murder going on it was moreso a case of out-competing them.

Yea, but to be fair, we murder the drek out of just about everything. Including each other...
It is better to be crazy and know it, than to be sane and have one's doubts.

"Nothing is wrong if no one can stop you."

Remember, you're only a genius when they need you. The rest of the time you're just an asshole.

Well, drek. Looks like Timmy fell into the Dissonance Well again.

Senko

• Ace Runner
« Reply #17 on: <04-01-17/1824:36> »

Yea, but to be fair, we murder the drek out of just about everything. Including each other...

So what happens when we run into a better murder drekker.

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
  • Scraping the bottom of the Resonance Barrel
« Reply #18 on: <04-01-17/2238:50> »

Reach Heaven through violence.

From a design standpoint, I think the reason to make things like sasquatch and what not "non-humans" is to help establish them as especially uncommon for players.  Contrast with how magicians are rare, but every player group has one Awakened at least.  The game is written around having some kind of idea of what the players will usually be doing.  To help keep this coherent and strong, they have to keep the basic, default concept of what a group of Shadowrun PCs are relatively clear.  Sort of like...

Most play groups and most storylines would not work as well if someone was playing a centaur, for instance, without some amount of tweaking.  These "non-human" races are different enough in a few key ways as to make them a little too complex or different to be group up alongside the default options.
I'm Madpath Moth on reddit (and other sites).  Feel free to PM me errata questions!
Jeeze.  It would almost sound stupid until you realize we're talking about an immortal elf clown sword fighting a dragon ghost in a mall.

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #19 on: <04-01-17/2257:35> »
They never should've opened this door by allowing shapeshifter PCs back in 1996.

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
  • Scraping the bottom of the Resonance Barrel
« Reply #20 on: <04-02-17/1457:39> »
They never should've opened this door by allowing shapeshifter PCs back in 1996.

I get you.  It's an inevitability though.  Eventually someone playing a tabletop RPG asks "Why do I have to be a person?  It's all imaginary anyways."  From that point on, more people ask, and the only option is to outline some as playable and some as "just too powerful".  Hence why you can't be a dragon, but Drakes exist for people who would start a fight about it.

Not that I'm one to talk--  I thought the D&D 3.5 book Savage Species was the coolest and wanted to play a fire or earth elemental.  It's one of those things that makes tabletops special (being able to roleplay as something truly inhuman) but it's not something every (or even most) tables or GMs should be able to work with.
I'm Madpath Moth on reddit (and other sites).  Feel free to PM me errata questions!
Jeeze.  It would almost sound stupid until you realize we're talking about an immortal elf clown sword fighting a dragon ghost in a mall.

cold iron

• Newb
« Reply #21 on: <04-03-17/2007:16> »
Some of that stuff is for specialized games which is why playing a drake is about as rare as they come. But if it was a game where your team specifically works for a dragon then the GM letting you be one is more probable. Savage Species was a book with the goal of switching sides so that the players are monsters fighting adventurers and the like but most people that found it wanted to be something special next to the dwarf and elf in a normal party.

As for the no dragons bit I think that's more to do with rarity than power.(although they are OP) after all I know im not up to date on lore but I have only heard of adult dragons and one mentioning of eggs (and they got destroyed by a stupid son of one of the Tir's princes) So far I have never heard of dragon eggs hatching or any of the dragons laying new eggs. Sort of like the immortal elfs. They are too rare for players to go mucking about as one.

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #22 on: <04-04-17/0002:30> »
As for the no dragons bit I think that's more to do with rarity than power.(although they are OP) after all I know im not up to date on lore but I have only heard of adult dragons and one mentioning of eggs (and they got destroyed by a stupid son of one of the Tir's princes) So far I have never heard of dragon eggs hatching or any of the dragons laying new eggs. Sort of like the immortal elfs. They are too rare for players to go mucking about as one.
And there are even fewer of them now. :D

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #23 on: <04-04-17/0038:06> »
Reading between the lines of the Earthdawn Dragons book, it appears that Wyverns are actually dragons just past the hatchling stage, but not yet adult dragons. Or at least they are something close enough that they might be confused for one.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Senko

• Ace Runner
« Reply #24 on: <04-04-17/0525:30> »
Some of that stuff is for specialized games which is why playing a drake is about as rare as they come. But if it was a game where your team specifically works for a dragon then the GM letting you be one is more probable. Savage Species was a book with the goal of switching sides so that the players are monsters fighting adventurers and the like but most people that found it wanted to be something special next to the dwarf and elf in a normal party.

Goblins life through their eyes the webcomic  ;D

Raphael diSanto

• Newb
  • Dum vivmus, vivamus.....
« Reply #25 on: <04-10-17/1530:07> »
People do love being special snowflakes....
RdS
This is not the signature you are looking for.

Senko

• Ace Runner
« Reply #26 on: <04-11-17/0335:08> »
People do love being special snowflakes....

However there is a difference between wanting to play what is viewed as a special snowflake and wanting to be a special snowflake.

Speaking personally I love foxes (even if I know their viwed as pests/hunting targets in many places) and will take pretty much any opportunity to play a Kitsune/Hengeyoki (fox)/foxgirl/shapeshifting fox or whatever that game offers. To many GM's/Players you say you want to play that and they think you want to be a special snowflake (or a furry ;D) however that really isn't the point to  me. I'd play them if they were a core race, were (as is the case in 5th ed shifters) mechanically and RP wise shooting yourself in the foot, had other more powerful/special/rare options available. The point has never been to play a "I am unique and special and their are 3,000 year old prophecies about me" character (although admitedly there is a strong trend towards that in roleplayers its part of the appeal afterall) but just to play something that I find personally fascinating. I've in the past played them in settings where they had to hide what they were to avoid being hunted down and killed, settings where they are not that powerful just another PC race, settings where I spent nights ingame curled up in a crack in a cave wall eating cockroaches as they were all my character could get, I've even retired more powerful characters when the GM made them available because I love them. The powers/setting/availability was only ever an issue in a what can I do sense and honestly I'd be happier if they were a more common character option so I could play them more often rather than ringing the special snowflake alarms.

On the other hand as you said you have players who just want something special/unique/powerful I just wanted to point out that there is that difference in motivation as I'm sure other people out there love playing Elves, Onl, children of gods, powerful mages or what have you for the idea rather than being special in their game e.g. Scion the RPG just like there are those who love playing a gritty, realistic, you will probably die game.

knppel

• Newb
« Reply #27 on: <04-11-17/0641:25> »
It's really all about expanding the opportunities to be born in the wrong body ("Why does she have more fur than I do!")

Glonthein

• Newb
« Reply #28 on: <04-11-17/0708:58> »

"I am unique and special and their are 3,000 year old prophecies about me"
Reminds me of that one player who had a minotaur character, and basically introduced saying "I descend from the ancient greek gods, now bow."

Senko

• Ace Runner
« Reply #29 on: <04-11-17/0807:35> »

"I am unique and special and their are 3,000 year old prophecies about me"
Reminds me of that one player who had a minotaur character, and basically introduced saying "I descend from the ancient greek gods, now bow."

Ouch, yes that sort does exist but you see my point I hope?

@Knppel
Yes if you aren't human there are a lot of little things to bring your character to life such as the pixie griping "I hate fashion all those size 0 dresses are a tent on me!" Followed of course by perfectly justified pixiecide.