Author Topic: Alea Iacta Est (IC)  (Read 2058 times)

GloriousRuse

  • Chummer
  • **
  • Posts: 149
Re: Alea Iacta Est (IC)
« Reply #30 on: (19:57:47/03-23-17) »
With that taken care of, Swoopy changed his mags and waited for the "braves" to return. Still seemed a fool way to fight a war, getting all close and seeing who could stab who, but he allowed that the others seemed to be very, very good at it. He would still take "stuff the muzzle in their belly and pull the trigger" any day of the week if fighting got that close. Pretty freakin amazing to watch though.

BOOOM!

"And don't come back hell beasts! The Lord protects his own!"

Pa seemed inordinately pleased. Swoopy was also inordinately pleased, mostly that the spiritual shotgun hadn't been leveled at anything wildcat looking. He made sure to give Pa a big grin, trying to infuse it with manful camaraderie. He thought about radioing, looked like the others had figured it out though and we're headed back in. 
--------
In a quick circle with the others, Swoopy listened to the updates from Shiriki and the changes to the plan. He interjected to be sure he was tracking

"So I get that the point team, self included, are coming down through the woods until we're about 150m out with the rest in trail, drones in front of us until Shiriki says it's not safe, Ite on the trix, and the CPT watching magic side. At that point we're waiting for the all clear on matrix and magic, cutting the fence here after Ite opens a hole in the turret coverage, and passing the assault team through. We follow them or stay back for overwatch based on the CPT's call. Is that right? Also, are the assignments still the same?"
« Last Edit: (12:28:36/03-24-17) by GloriousRuse »

Jayde Moon

  • Administrator
  • Ace Runner
  • *****
  • Posts: 1615
  • Shadowrun Missions Developer
Re: Alea Iacta Est (IC)
« Reply #31 on: (15:27:59/03-24-17) »
"Ite, pull up the map and toss those ARO's on it.  Add the info Shiriki gathered."

Ite nods and shoots the image over their PI-Tac.



"So, of import are the spirits there.  We can't be sure what they are going to do if they catch one of our auras.  That's going to be impossible to hide, once we clear the trees, unless we literally keep something between us and them.  Happily, most spirits don't have eyes in the backs of their heads and we can assume that their direction of movement is forward.."

Chante looks to the group.  "So it's as we discussed.  Swoopy and I will head one each to the base of the dish and plant our charges.  Technical overwatch is provided to make sure the guards in those shacks stay in those shacks and that no one comes out of housing there.  If they do, we need to know.  Dan-Dan holds back, ready to move in the direction that requires a hand, if it comes to that.  Hopefully it won't, we'll be in and out, ghosts."

She looks at the team and receives their determined silence as acquiescence.  She doesn't say anything else as she rises and grabs her pack.  She replaces her helmet and lowers the visor.  The HUD pops over.  With that, she steps out and shuffles forward through the deepening snow, south towards the site.  The others fall in behind.
« Last Edit: (15:29:35/03-24-17) by Jayde Moon »
That's just like... your opinion, man.

rednblack

  • Prime Runner
  • *****
  • Posts: 3224
  • TECH-NO-LOGIC-KILL
Re: Alea Iacta Est (IC)
« Reply #32 on: (14:05:02/03-27-17) »
Shiriki catches sight of the bogies just as they ease into a sprint toward the farmhouse.  In the meat world, he can feel his body spasm, and his heart rate monitor kicks up considerably. 

"The hell was that?  Shiriki, you got eyes?  Barghests?" the Captain's voice comes through his comm system.  For a moment, he's glad that he's got his ear buds patched into his feed -- otherwise the droning snow would be overwhelming as it buffets the fly spy, but then the howling starts, and Shiriki wishes he had some of those old 20s tunes keyed up instead.

<<@Team [Shiriki] 4 incoming.  Too small to be barghests.  Bogies, maybe.>>

His vision goes black as he jumps into his roto-drone, and when he gathers his new senses, he's already rising up from the roof of the farmhouse, and facing the threat.  In thermo, they look a little less otherworldly, just pockets of reds and oranges against the icy black earth.  He marks his targets quickly, keys in with his Alpha, and lets loose with two bursts at the leading hound.  It whimpers once, as the stick-and-shock seizes up its muscles, and it falls flat.  He moves the reticle over, and drifts forward at a hard incline to target the second.  As the captain and Ité YeyΆ rush from the farmhouse, Shiriki pops another one, which seizes just long enough for Chante to finish it off with her tomahawk.

Next, he trains his feed on a third, but Dan-Dan is on top of it, then below it, and then finishing it off with a deep cut down the beast's middle.  Shiriki watches as the bogie's insides become its outsides, and cool quickly in the blizzard, turning orange and then fading into the snow-covered ground. 

And then it's over.  While the good doctor goes about the grisly practice of salvaging what he can from the paracritters -- nasty business, that -- and the team resumes their positions in the mostly wind-broke house, Shiriki puts his fly spies on patrol, and does one last loop before leaving his drones and rejoining his body.  His mouth and eyes are parched, and he reaches for his canteen.  The captain pulls up an updated map, relates the information Shiriki was able to gather, and lays out the plan.  Looking forward toward their objective gets his hands to stop shaking and he gulps down a little water before they had back out into the night.

Their approach is silent, and uneventful, each team member spread out, and Shiriki's drones on overwatch.  He keeps the fly spies up in front and behind, watching their approach and rear, while the roto-drone stays just over his shoulder, keeping its imprint minimal.  From a quarter-klick out, Chante halts, and they take a moment to put human eyes on the scene.  The earth spirits are where Shiriki left them, still working through the night, and Chante points out some watcher spirits.  Unsurprisingly, it doesn't look like any human patrols are out.  They wouldn't be able to see much anyway, and one thing about the anglos: they're fine wasting people, but they'd rather use 'em on something worthwhile if they're gonna do it.

Speech
Thought
Matrix/Comm
Astral
Subvocal

GloriousRuse

  • Chummer
  • **
  • Posts: 149
Re: Alea Iacta Est (IC)
« Reply #33 on: (23:20:25/03-27-17) »
Swoopy nodded at Chante, breaking east from the last rally point while the specialty support team went to work. This was it, this was that moment of keyed up awesome where you couldn't quite decide if what you were doing should terrify you or let you know that you were the baddest mother-fucker in the valley. If Swoopy lived to be one of the old men, maybe he would have the reps and the life savy to reconcile the two. As it was, he couldn't help but grinning. Yeah, definitely number two. Not that it seemed to help back in the bars; not like you could talk about it, and the fact that you were quiet enough and deadly enough to say, sneak into a UCAS radar site with your only support hundreds of meters away at least didn't seem to to work as well as being a sniveling supply clerk in a shiny uniform.  He was a good looking man if he said so himself, and he could tell you his tales of seduction were only mild exaggerations - well, maybe moderate exaggerations - but it still didn't seem fair that the chicks all wanted to drag home the most clearly shined up "brave" they could find, even if that douche worked  as a glorified janitor in the base gym. Here he was, sneaking through a forest...

..speaking of which, he was nearly at his plotted turn south, where the trees were thickest and north of the eastern dish. He approached to about 15 meters from the fence and deployed his secret weapon:

The gray blanket. With stick.

At all of an 1/8th of an inch of wool, so long as you stood still, for half an hour it was some of the best camo you could have. Too far off the body to heat up quickly, a physical barrier that really helped dull out his already bioware damped aura, and guaranteed to look mostly like another patch of colorless ground and snow under monochromatic low light enhancement.  At night verus the mark one eyeball let alone some poor bastard looking through a camera lense, a dull and formless grey patch on the ground wouldn't look like much at all; maybe a rock if you looked hard. It was truly a triumph of low tech over high tech, the sort of thing that made Swoopy glad he wouldn't be replaced by a drone anytime soon.

It had another very  important characteristic; it helped keep the wind off while you waited for the call that the turrets were off.

Swoopy sent a single click over FM.

Set

Jayde Moon

  • Administrator
  • Ace Runner
  • *****
  • Posts: 1615
  • Shadowrun Missions Developer
Re: Alea Iacta Est (IC)
« Reply #34 on: (10:43:08/03-28-17) »
Chante's movement was similarly quiet.  She moved with great care, taking time to check her astral senses as well.  Watcher spirits were their biggest threat here.  A camera, even monitored, could be taken down and spoofed, leaving the technician monitoring them non-the-wiser.  They were physical objects that anyone could see and avoid.

Watchers were invisible to normal vision.  Living things were lit up like beacons to them, due to their auras.  And if you caught one unawares and dispatched it, their creator would know.  They were especially tricky.  Luckily, they were simple spirits without much imagination.

Chante found her own spot to dig in while she waited on the others.  Her time wasn't spent idly.  She scanned beyond the fence, noting the auras of the watchers and adding AROs to the PI-Tac and recording their watch-path.  Once the tracks were input, the team would know where the watchers were and which way they were facing to within a few seconds.  Once that was complete, the rest was up to the others.

<<Set>>
That's just like... your opinion, man.

Pap Renvela

  • Omae
  • ***
  • Posts: 399
Re: Alea Iacta Est (IC)
« Reply #35 on: (15:27:36/03-30-17) »
Ité YeyΆ  and Shiriki Looney were buried under foliage by the rest of the group. While the rest of the squad would be going with their meat into the compound, they were only going with their minds. Shiriki's three drones would protect the camouflaged bodies while the were unconscious in VR.

Ité YeyΆ  and Shiriki Looney worked in unison to spot the hidden host, which looked very much like a  Quonset hut. But what would you expect from the non-imaginative minds of military command...no matter which nation it worked for. They easily were able to fool the host into giving them three MARKs apiece. Now- they would split up- Ité would prepare to fool the sensors while Shiriki would jump into one of the automated turrets if the alarm sounded.

First thing Ité noticed was a single persona hidden- most likely a security spider. The persona itself seemed to be standing still. The tell-tale sign that the person was deep in thought or (more likely) so bored that they're half asleep while in the Matrix.

Ité began recording the data from the sensor suites. He could go with as little as a few seconds worth but decided not to be lazy a continued recording continuously. As soon as he got the confirmation that the team was moving in, he'd spoof the sensor suite to show the recorded data in place of the live one. With just a little bit of luck- no one will suspect they're getting fed the same info again.

Ité's secondary job would be to take out the spider if the alarm did go off before the towers were destroyed. He always felt bad about that part of the job. But all's fair in love and all that.



« Last Edit: (15:30:53/03-30-17) by Pap Renvela »

GloriousRuse

  • Chummer
  • **
  • Posts: 149
Re: Alea Iacta Est (IC)
« Reply #36 on: (23:28:45/03-30-17) »
Swoopy waited under that blanket for what seemed like an eternity. Everything was snapped into sharp adrenal focus. A doberman went by, turned south along the perimeter. Some of the marked watchers completed a similiar route, and Swoopy saw his opening. If only the support guys could make this happen right....

<<Trojan>>

...now. Yeah, that had been a fine piece of work. Guess the cats were the cats for a reason. Swoopy crawled forward, shedding his blanket and popping one of his crickets just in case. He carefully probed the fence, touching metal link to metal link. His own hands were safely on the insulated side of the cutters. No sparks, and the turret five meters away wasn't slewing to murder him. Guess the trix guys really had done their jobs. A few quick cuts and he was through; a few quick applications of glue and the fence looked casually uncut. He slapped a small shaped charge on the back of the nearby turret as an insurance policy in case he needed to blow his way out, then it was onwards to the dish.

Swoopy had the easy job, really; after coming out of that wonderfully uncut treeline and passing the turret line, the dish was only 60 meters away. Sixty pretty open meters, but a blizzard and a bunch of ground chewed up by heavy construction gear gave enough cover when no one was looking too hard. About halfway in, Swoopy realized he had moved himself into a position with no good way forward but a rush over the last half, hopefully with no one watching. Too hyped up man. First job with the cats and you go and play rookie ball like this.... He curled up and prepared to dash from his rut..and promptly snak/collapsed right in forzen mud. Into another set of vehicle tracks he hadn't even noticed, just a foot away. After getting a good if slightly unexpected mouth-in-mud level view, he realized this particular rut would actually let him move a good chunk of the way forward on his belly with nothing sticking out. Well, they say you know luck is woman because she is drawn to those who deserve her the least....

Arriving at the dish, everything went pretty much text book. Three target points on the north side, three charges, three packages counting down on a timer - both he and Chante had primary detonators as well, but you never knew what might happen to a signal after you got out of safe blast radius. Swoopy offered  a quick thank you to the chameleon suit gods for making that all easier. There were times for high tech too it seemed. Plus, it was always fun to know you beat the others metas, what with everyone talking up how special they were. Swoopy wasn't a Humanis type by any imagination, but it pleased him to know that basic human eyeballs were harder to fool than those oh so special thermal eyes everyone crooned about in the movies. Once you could make IR emissivity adjustments to a material, it was actually way easier to spoof thermals than do 360 camouflage across a broad spectrum of colors because you only had to account for two variables. Basically, if you were a troll, a chameleon suit meant you were blind. Not so special now, huh?

Having proven that humans were still definitely competitive in his own mind, Swoopy popped another cricket and made his way back to the fence with almost no events. Almost is a tragic word...much as he hated to, he keyed his link:

<<Six, Two. East demo set. I'm outbound at fence. Break>>

<<3 man patrol just came out, doing close walk on the dish. Might see demo in a few minutes. Break>>

<<If they see it, I'm blowing charges unless you say otherwise. Over.>>








 
« Last Edit: (23:31:05/03-30-17) by GloriousRuse »

rednblack

  • Prime Runner
  • *****
  • Posts: 3224
  • TECH-NO-LOGIC-KILL
Re: Alea Iacta Est (IC)
« Reply #37 on: (12:21:42/04-03-17) »
Inside the host, Ité transfers a collection of MARKs to Shiriki through an under-turned palm.  What the frag I need these for? Shiriki wonders and then sighs and accepts them, runs his own hand up his virtual sleeve, and is then sporting a brand new pair of wings and epaulet on his olive green jacket.  Fraggin' anglos.  While Ité heads off to loop the sensors, with a quick and silent jerk of his thumb toward the spider, Shiriki heads to the hangar in the back to examine their exfil options.  Two choppers: one a troop transport vehicle -- Slot, that's a lot of seats for a skeleton crew -- and the other a battlefield hoop-dropper.  That's more like it.

Let's see, he begins thumbing through the specs.  Twin 202 machine guns up front, another on the side port, and a Vigorous.  Enough fuel, seating.  Yeah, this'll do.  Shiriki looks over his shoulder at the turrets that line the quonset hut, and checks his feeds before progressing.  Outside, hovering in a copse of cedars maybe thirty meters from the fence, his fly spy reconnoiters over their soft blue thermal imprints.  By the edge of its perimeter, the blizzard masks them entirely.  He switches to the second fly spy, keeping an eye on Chante's six, while she waits with the others for Swoopy and Dan Dan.  The roto-drone is high up in the clouds, too high to be able to spot anything but the blizzard it nested in, but far enough forward to issue a hawk's dive for whatever trouble may befall the sappers. 

Shiriki turns his attention back to the Dragon, and his persona takes a deep breath.  A part of him doesn't want to leave even a utilitarian made Host like this.  For one thing it's warmer.  Even as he's aware of his core temperature dropping, albeit slowly, from the lack of movement and snow bed and blankets, here everything feels just fine and pregnant with possibility.  He casts the feeling aside, and walks into the dragon, a pixelated first mate standing at the ready. 

<<We have no flight plan for this vehicle>> the program says at his approach.

Shiriki enters a request for ammo counts and instructs the program to begin its pre-flight checklist, flashing his epaulets and hoping that some of the tricks still worked in these new systems.

<<Of course, captain, right away, sir.>>

The controls open up to him, and Shiriki can feel the power of the dragon in his belly, and his fingers twitch in meat space, ready to take flight.

<<Shall I start the engines, captain?>>

<<Negative.  Hold on my ready.>>


Another hurdle cleared, Shiriki sees a set of comms come in from Swoopy.

<<3 man patrol just came out, doing close walk on the dish. Might see demo in a few minutes. Break>>

<<If they see it, I'm blowing charges unless you say otherwise. Over.>>


Fraggit, where's Dan Dan?  Shiriki pulls up the feed from his forward-most fly spy, and watches sheets of snow, and a thermal figure approaching.  He double-checks on the PI-TAC that it's Swoopy, and leaves the roto-drone on its perch.

<<@Team [Shiriki] Taxi's called.  En route on your order.>>

Settling in, Shiriki orders a diagnostics report, and looks at the readout.

<<Pilot Interface: Online>>
<<Fuel: 12%>>
<<Ares Vigorous Assault Canon: 0/100>>
<<(1) Stoner Ares M202: 0/200>>
<<(2) Stoner Ares M202 0/200>>


Well frag me sideways.  I guess if you plant ice you're gonna harvest wind.

<<@Team [Shiriki] We've got 0 ammo and about 80km of fuel.  I can fix both, but it might catch a watchful eye.  Orders?>>
« Last Edit: (16:47:20/04-03-17) by rednblack »
Speech
Thought
Matrix/Comm
Astral
Subvocal

Jayde Moon

  • Administrator
  • Ace Runner
  • *****
  • Posts: 1615
  • Shadowrun Missions Developer
Re: Alea Iacta Est (IC)
« Reply #38 on: (16:57:22/04-03-17) »
Chante took a breath and broke forward with the charges.  Dan-Dan seemed to be moving, but something must have caught this attention, because the PI-TAC indicated he had stopped.

She reached into her satchel and removed the charge.  She wasn't the best at wiring these right, but the guidance of the spirits, she should be able to at least get them to go boom... one way or another.  She places the first charge and sets it before scampering quickly to the next point.  That charge goes up easily and she moves to the third spot.

<<3 man patrol just came out, doing close walk on the dish. Might see demo in a few minutes. Break>>

<<If they see it, I'm blowing charges unless you say otherwise. Over.>>


Chante hissed between her teeth.  This wasn't good, what were these guys doing on patrol?  The charges weren't exactly made to blend in with the flat surfaces they had been magnetized to.  The timers were meant to give them team leeway to exfil, which meant discovery offered enough time to defuse.

Allowing the charges to be defused was not anywhere in the OPORD.

<<@Team [Shiriki] Taxi's called.  En route on your order.>>

Wait... what?

<<Dan Dan, reroute to Swoopy, quietly.  Swoopy, stay low til they get close, then see if between you and Dan-Dan they go down without a sound.  If the do make too much noise, Shiriki I'll need a louder noise opposite.  I assume your 'taxi' is loud enough?  Route it away, then circle it back around to pick us up... by then we should be safely away and the charges do their work.  Any comments, suggestions, frag off that's stupids?>>
That's just like... your opinion, man.

GloriousRuse

  • Chummer
  • **
  • Posts: 149
Re: Alea Iacta Est (IC)
« Reply #39 on: (22:35:57/04-03-17) »
<<Six, Two. I'm at fence. Patrol is moving east along dish, at the northwest corner of the buildings now. Break>>

<<Don't think I can close un-noticed. Three might if he comes in from the southwest. Over>>

<<Three, Two. I'll fire twice to pull eyes north if you need it, let you bend em over in close. On your mark. Over>>
« Last Edit: (23:52:36/04-03-17) by GloriousRuse »

MDMann

  • Chummer
  • **
  • Posts: 126
Re: Alea Iacta Est (IC)
« Reply #40 on: (02:12:01/04-04-17) »
Dan-Dan crept through the snow, climbing out of the shallow pit he'd dug near tge base of the trees and flexing each muscle to ease the tension.

He climbed slowly. There was a time for pace and a time for care. Sometimes they could be the same time. He was taking his whilst he could. He settled into the canopy of the trees, needlepines pricking his bare hands. He waited as he paced the watcher spirits routines, taking careful note of their movements and overlaying the new data onto the pitac and the captains report.

There were many kinds of stillness. Complete immobility drew the eye. The trick was to be a part of the environment, joining the wind as part of the tree or whatever. It took patience, practice and skill. Old Fagan would be proud from whichever Hell he was in now. Shamans talked of the dreaming time and the Ghost Plains.  Stillness. Without. Within.

He took some handfuls of snow from the tree and carefully eased it over his chakras. Of course, this was because the blood supply was heavy there and it rapidly dropped his temperature. Centering and concentration (together with more practice) allowed him to draw in the heat to his core, keeping him warm. Anyone could do it. To a degree. He liked low tech solutions. It would reduce his thermographic signature some and help mask him from sensors and any lurking trolls or gimlet eyed dwarfs. It wasn't perfect, but it it helped. Of course all their clothes were designed to limit signature too. He preferred low tech but didn't ignore more modern solutions.

Completely useless with the watchers and other spirits looking in the astral. There was no peep outside the perimeter and the slumbering trees likely helped too. That would change. He centered himself. Dan-Dan drew in cold lungfulls of air and studied a nearby leaf, clearing his mind and emptying it. Meditation, oneness, Stillness. It helped hide from the spirits. Again it wasn't perfect. But it helped. So did them being very litteral and pretty dumb. Stillness. He waited for the signal that the tapes were looped, the kill hounds subverted and the matrix reloaded, or whatever. That's why they were a unit. You hand to trust the other members of the team. No way to tell. No way to control. Stillness. The signal came. Stillness.

Like a leaf on the breeze.

Dan-Dan leapt.

He landed cat-like on the snow. Soft indents pressing into the drifting snow, he quickly made his way to the target, position C. Dashing he froze as he passed the barracks. Drifting voices passed out as a soldier stumbled out and Dan hunkered in the snow. A hot stream arced out landing next to his eye as the soldier relieved himself and stumbled back in laughing. He'd noticed nothing. Dan rose and continued on.

At the target site, Dan quickly lay down, digging a shallow foxhole in a depresion where he could respond quickly to events from. The charges were placed by the team following the spec's as revised by Swoopy and Ite. He  quickly changed his icon on the pitac to active to show his being active then slowly made his way towards the RV point avoiding the watchers as he moved. About halfway there he heard of the patrol approaching site A. He paused. The Cap wanted him to make his way over to the fence. He slowly set off, taking the long route to avoid the watchers. Sending a quick acknowledgement he prepared to run like a cat on a hot tin roof.

Studying the pitac and the land he called it in.

"Confirm. I can take one quietly. Or all three of I'm noticed. I can try for 2 quietly, probability is 0.6 of silent success. For nonlethal damage. Can not take third quietly. Can coordinate for all three. Success indicates at about 0.4. Loud option will remain. Or I can kill both at 0.8 probability silently. Please advise."

Fair odds. But now it was crunch time. Time to cross the Rubicon?
« Last Edit: (04:01:50/04-04-17) by MDMann »

Jayde Moon

  • Administrator
  • Ace Runner
  • *****
  • Posts: 1615
  • Shadowrun Missions Developer
Re: Alea Iacta Est (IC)
« Reply #41 on: (10:39:35/04-04-17) »
Chante waits for the others to move, biding her time.  If she makes her way from the base of the dish now, she'll be seen for certain.

Then, one man, facing her, holds up a hand.  the others stop.  frag it, I'm made.  She doesn't move, let them take a few moments to consider if they see what they think they're seeing.  Still, she tightens her grip on the Ares Alpha.  It's loaded with stik and shock, getting through this without killing anyone is important... it makes a statement to the UCAS and it makes a statement to their highers about this team's capabilities.

<<Pretty sure they see me, they'll be coming to check me out in a moment and you'll have your chance... if you can move on the rear guard first-->>  She stops as the trio slowly move her direction in a low crouch.  <<Never mind, leave 'em breathing but take em now!>>
That's just like... your opinion, man.

MDMann

  • Chummer
  • **
  • Posts: 126
Re: Alea Iacta Est (IC)
« Reply #42 on: (15:44:32/04-04-17) »
Dan-Dan nods and draws his knife at the instructions. He didn't really expect different, mores the pity. He reverses the grip to use the pommel. He was a poor shot anyway.

The three figures halt and spread out, moving cautiously towards Chantes position. They seemed focused, peering into the snow. It was possible they weren't certain of the target, but they were cautious enough to take care. He could appreciate the professionalism. It was nice to see. The targets peeled away to make a wide spread. That was bad, it made targeting several harder. That was also good. It made separating them and counting coup in detail easier. Such was life.

As he approached, Daniel selected the further target, approaching cautiously. He extracted a small rag from his pocket, soaked in tranquilliser from his medkit. They shouldn't smell it in this weather. Probably.

The far figure was tall though and bulky with it. A troll. Someone else's problem. It shifted it's smooth head, sniffing in the cold. It's smooth head. That wasn't just a troll. It was a fomori! It carried a brutal looking hatchet rather than standard armaments, though it had some sort of longarm strapped to its back. Probably of celtic extraction. He'd only ever seen them on the trid, though they seemed to be everywhere. Far too many appeared as mages too, though that cpuld be Horizon spin. At least it was the furthest away, though whether that was a good thing was debatable.
« Last Edit: (01:34:30/04-05-17) by MDMann »

Tecumseh

  • Prime Runner
  • *****
  • Posts: 3392
Re: Alea Iacta Est (IC)
« Reply #43 on: (20:11:28/04-05-17) »
Somewhere above the clouds there's a full moon, but down on the ground it's pretty damn dark. The buildings have lights, and the construction drones are illuminated - mostly so that patrols know to give them appropriate distance  - but otherwise it's a big, empty base still under construction. Swirling snow further impairs visibility, providing plenty of shadows to work with.

The catch is when it comes time to plant explosives. Doing so is a stationary process that demands attention, robbing the saboteur of their situational awareness. Chante is wiring the charges when the call comes in from Swoopy that there's an unexpected patrol. Chante is exposed, with little room for cover or concealment. To make matters worse, the officer leading the patrol is a fomori, whose thermographic vision easily pick outs Chante's silhouette against the cold background of the radar dish.

The officer raises his rifle - a Colt Inception from the looks of it, likely the result of Colloton playing hard-to-get with Ares - and bellows, "Freeze!" at Chante, which may or may not be a weather-based pun. It is very cold.

"On your knees, hands in the air! On your knees or be shot!"

The officer is huge - the size of a troll - but doesn't have any horns. The soldiers all wear armor jackets insulated for the weather.

The officer comms while aiming: "Perimeter breech! Intruder at transmitter array." 

The message doesn't go through. The cold has increased the internal resistance of his commlink's battery. With the higher resistance, the small amount of discharge current going out of the battery results in a larger-than-usual voltage drop. The protector circuit attached to the battery freaks out and announces that the battery is dying, and triggers the commlink to shut off. 

"... Perimeter breech! ... Damnit! ... Hands in the air!"

Jayde Moon

  • Administrator
  • Ace Runner
  • *****
  • Posts: 1615
  • Shadowrun Missions Developer
Re: Alea Iacta Est (IC)
« Reply #44 on: (14:35:12/04-06-17) »
"On your knees, hands in the air! On your knees or be shot!"

Chante grins.  "Don't shoot, I'm just gonna--"

She suddenly shifts her weight to the right while wrapping herself in mana.  She quickly fades from sight and reverses direction, rolling left instead.  As she hoped, the big guy pulls the trigger, firing wildly where he thought she was going.  Bullets sent up a spray of snow and powder.  It was just going to be a matter of time before the entire hive began to swarm.

She came up from her roll, weapon at the ready and pulled the trigger, firing in controlled bursts.  Not a single round of 10 sent racing towards the formori misses it's mark and he goes flying backwards, landing in a spasming heap.

<<That's our cue, boys.>>
That's just like... your opinion, man.