NEWS

Tir Tairngire - Coup of 2064

• 34 Replies

belaran

• Omae
« on: <01-14-17/1732:36> »
Hi,

Having resume playing Shadowrun over a year ago, after a hiatus that lasted through most of 3ed and all 4ed, I've decided to brush up on my Tir Tairngire lore knowledge by reading (again) Tir Tairngire (2nd ed), Shadows of North America (3ed update), Land of Promises (4ed update) and the few pages on the recent elections in Storm Front (also 4ed). First question, did I miss something, somehwere ?

It certainly feels so, as I could not find in which book (from 3ed ?) the coup of 2064 is documented. Especially, I would like to know a bit more how this coup came to be and what are the whereabout of the "princes on the run" - Sean Laverty and Hugh Surehand,  but also maybe Ehran and the other. Or is this coup really not documented ?

BTW, I've quickly browsed System Failure and only though a footnote about Surehand on p.108

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <01-14-17/2059:49> »
It was literally just that one plot point in System Failure.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #2 on: <01-17-17/1420:50> »
Yeah, there really hasn't been anything written about it. You might find a couple more references in the Sixth World Almanac, but otherwise, it happened, but was overshadowed by other events (like the Crash).

Laverty is still in TT, AFAIK, but is keeping a low profile well away from Cara'sir, teaching more elven mages.

Ehran is the head of the DIMR, and was involved in the Artifacts plot. Also showed up in Denver to stop Harlequin and Ghostwalker from taking their fight to the bitter end.

Surehand is in Seattle, or thereabouts, trying to secure a path back to power in TT.

Nivarra was seen during the Artifacts plot, doing creepy as fuck experiments that seemed to be turning part of the forests in TT into something like the Blood Wood.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

RowanTheFox

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <01-17-17/1449:37> »
Nivarra was seen during the Artifacts plot, doing creepy as fuck experiments that seemed to be turning part of the forests in TT into something like the Blood Wood.

NO.

Kill her! KILL HER WITH FIRE!
It is better to be crazy and know it, than to be sane and have one's doubts.

"Nothing is wrong if no one can stop you."

Remember, you're only a genius when they need you. The rest of the time you're just an asshole.

Well, drek. Looks like Timmy fell into the Dissonance Well again.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #4 on: <01-17-17/1813:01> »
Gets even better. There's a little throwaway line in one of the books talking about how those Amazonian metavariant elves that live in the rain forest are fighting a splinter group that seem to be protecting/worshiping the Sangre del Diablo trees. A group of elves with thorns.

My Characters

Rosa

• Omae
« Reply #5 on: <01-18-17/0634:37> »
Gets even better. There's a little throwaway line in one of the books talking about how those Amazonian metavariant elves that live in the rain forest are fighting a splinter group that seem to be protecting/worshiping the Sangre del Diablo trees. A group of elves with thorns.

And how blood elves supposedly got from the Ukraine to Amazonia, and became Xapiri Thepe as well,  we will of course never know. ...........

Aithne Oakforest is in Pomorya afaik building himself a new powerbase and likely preparing a vendetta against Lofwyr.

belaran

• Omae
« Reply #6 on: <01-18-17/0738:06> »
Aithne building a power base in Pomorya is (afaik) only mentioned in the (German) Novapuls magasine. Is there anything else "canon" that mentioned that ? Aithne is an important subplot of one of my campaign, I would love to have more intel on his whereabouts...

I also need to read again Earthdawn and the stuff about thorny, blood elves, completly forgot what they were about...

Longshot23

• Omae
« Reply #7 on: <01-18-17/1125:37> »

I was reading this exact 'report' earlier today, and I remember thinking 'this isn't going to end well' . . . .

RowanTheFox

• Omae
« Reply #8 on: <01-18-17/1248:22> »

And how blood elves supposedly got from the Ukraine to Amazonia, and became Xapiri Thepe as well,  we will of course never know. ...........

Aithne Oakforest is in Pomorya afaik building himself a new powerbase and likely preparing a vendetta against Lofwyr.

Point 1: Boats, like everyone else.

Point 2: Magic is weird.

Point 3: Well, Loffy is most likely the one responsible for the death of Aithne's son. I'd be out for blood too.

Remember, you're only a genius when they need you. The rest of the time you're just an asshole.

Rosa

• Omae
« Reply #9 on: <01-18-17/2215:32> »

Point 1: Boats, like everyone else.

Point 2: Magic is weird.

Point 3: Well, Loffy is most likely the one responsible for the death of Aithne's son. I'd be out for blood too.

That's not my point. The blood elves of blood wood were before the ritual normal earthdawn elves,  and after they were normal earthdawn elves but with thorns growing out of their bodies. They had not suddenly transformed into the amazonian metavariant Xapiri Thepe.

And if you want to imagine that at some point a group of blood elves somehow left blood wood and wandered all the way to Amazonia you still haven't explained why they are suddenly Xapiri Thepe.

I guess you could argue some sort of genetic spreading effect during the 5th world, but that falls short as well because if that was the case they should have appeared everywhere else as well.

The point is, it's an easy throwaway line to make, and on the surface sounds cool, but it makes no sense whatsoever when you look at it more closely. Now if that line had been about a weird phenomenon in the Ukraine for example around the vicinity of Tjernobyl it would have been very cool and would have made sense.

Btw does anyone remember where there's the info about Jenna Ni'fairra and her strange magical rituals?

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #10 on: <01-19-17/0200:11> »
The stuff on Ni'fairra's happy fun time rituals was in Artifacts Unbound, the Something Dark in the Woods chapter.

As for how the blood elves got from Chernobyl to the US, well, the Immortal Elves had a lot of time to move around during the 5th World.

As for why they're showing up around the Diablo trees, there's two possible options. You decide which one you think is more comforting.

1) Someone cast a ritual Corrupting those elves, so that they wouldn't be harmed by the Diablo trees, much as the Blood Elves of old didn't taste as good to Horrors after they Corrupted themselves.
1a) Where did they learn the ritual from? Only three options - magic experimentation, they were shown how by a spirit or an Immortal Elf living in their tribe, or some damn fool left instructions on the ritual.
1b) This would mean that the Diablo trees are at least tangentially related to Horrors if Corruption makes their food not taste as good.

2) The Symbiosis quality Corrupted the Xapiri Thepe into a form that could thrive amongst the Diablos.
2a) This would mean that besides spreading and eating people, the Diablos are Corrupting the manasphere and environment on a local level.
2b) This means we may perhaps be looking at a new round of SURGE-like effects as Corruption spreads.

My Characters

Longshot23

• Omae
« Reply #11 on: <01-19-17/0630:58> »
It may also mean Diablo trees now have agents to spread them to other locales . . .

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #12 on: <01-19-17/1310:14> »
It may also mean Diablo trees now have agents to spread them to other locales . . .
They already had that in Aztechnology.

My Characters

RowanTheFox

• Omae
« Reply #13 on: <01-19-17/1708:15> »
Precisely none of those options are comforting.

Goddammit, Alachia...Her hubris started this mess.

Rosa

• Omae
« Reply #14 on: <01-19-17/2239:44> »
Precisely none of those options are comforting.

Goddammit, Alachia...Her hubris started this mess.

It did. ..and it didn't.
Certainly Alachia was the one to turn down the Theran kaers out of pride and an unwillingness to pay their steep prices,  and then the elven wooden kaer stated to fail. But it was not Alachia that came up with the idea for the ritual of thorns, it was her wardens and she rejected the idea the first time and only very reluctantly agreed when there was no choice.

The reason the blood elves carried on with the ritual on their children after the scourge was because they knew that if they stopped not only would the true pattern of blood wood be destroyed but so would the true pattern of every single blood elf.

At the time of the blood wood supplement Alachia actually thinks she may have found a way to restore the true pattern of wyrmwood and is actively pursuing this in secret.

So things are not as black and white as Caroline Spector would have us think in worlds without end.