NEWS

Spirits and Sustaining

• 11 Replies

忍

« on: <12-13-16/1704:01> »
My search didn't find what I was looking for :/

When I have a bound spirit sustain a spell for me, does it sustain the spell for a number of Combat Turns equal to its Force (this being one service) or does it sustain it for a Combat Turn as one service up to its Force in Combat Turns.

Also I can't determine if spirits can sustain any category of spell or just the one as per tradition.

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #1 on: <12-13-16/1805:01> »
The answer is on page 302 of the CRB

Spell sustaining: You can have a spirit sustain a spell
for you after you cast it. It takes the –2 dice pool penalty
per sustained spell, instead of you. It can’t do this forever—
only for its Force in Combat Turns for each service
you spend on spell sustaining.

As to what type of spirit for what type of spell... It doesn't say (like it does under the "Aid" entry), but most GMs I have played with do enforce that. So... YMMV
« Last Edit: <12-13-16/1806:36> by Reaver »
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Sphinx

• Errata Team
  • Omae
« Reply #2 on: <12-13-16/1856:26> »
In my games, any spirit can perform physical tasks or use its powers on your behalf, but when you ask a spirit to support your magic (i.e., aid sorcery, aid study, spell sustaining, spell binding), it must be a spirit of the correct type according to your tradition.

As Reaver points out, SR5 is a little vague on this point, but previous editions were clear enough, and the intent remains the same. SR4A p.187: "The magical services available from a bound spirit are Aid Sorcery, Aid Study, Spell Sustaining, and Spell Binding. A spirit intended to assist the magician with magic must match the category of magic according to the magician's tradition."

dlinch

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: <12-13-16/1948:38> »
previous editions were clear enough

That's actually why I would say that in 5th edition sustaining a spell is not dependent on the type of spirit. The fact that they took it out from 4th to 5th editions tells me that they didn't want that restriction in the rules anymore. If they wanted the same restriction to carry over, then they would have carried it over.

Senko

• Ace Runner
« Reply #4 on: <12-14-16/0209:31> »
It wont be the first time somethings been changed, dropped or added and not made clear so those who played previous editions and those who didn't have different views of what the RAW is much less the RAI.

dlinch

• Newb
« Reply #5 on: <12-14-16/0558:30> »
It wont be the first time somethings been changed, dropped or added and not made clear so those who played previous editions and those who didn't have different views of what the RAW is much less the RAI.

I agree. However, with a complete dearth of errata and FAQs coupled with the SC (Swiss Cheese) that is 5th, it is hard to determine what RAI actually is in this edition. To me, the assumption has to be that the writers are competent and intended to drop that aspect of spirit powers. At least until a FAQ or errata comes out.

&#24525;

« Reply #6 on: <12-14-16/1503:44> »
I started on page 302. I'm here because I'm having trouble interpreting it. Lemme ask this a different way. How long does a spirit sustain a spell for one service?

One Combat Turn
or
(Force) Combat Turns

Kiirnodel

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #7 on: <12-14-16/1508:45> »
The answer is on page 302 of the CRB

Spell sustaining: You can have a spirit sustain a spell
for you after you cast it. It takes the –2 dice pool penalty
per sustained spell, instead of you. It can’t do this forever—
only for its Force in Combat Turns for each service
you spend on spell sustaining

As to what type of spirit for what type of spell... It doesn't say (like it does under the "Aid" entry), but most GMs I have played with do enforce that. So... YMMV

Reaver

• Prime Runner
« Reply #8 on: <12-14-16/1520:08> »
In other words:

If you have a Force 5 spirit: it will sustain a single spell for 5 combat turns for a single service. After which time you have to expend an ither service to have the spirit sustain it for an other 5 CT...

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

&#24525;

« Reply #9 on: <12-14-16/2136:07> »
Thank you  :)

The Bald Man

• Chummer
« Reply #10 on: <12-22-16/2059:00> »
Is it an action to transfer sustaining responsibility?

Reaver

• Prime Runner
« Reply #11 on: <12-22-16/2116:14> »
Is it an action to transfer sustaining responsibility?

Yes.