NEWS

Tangled Currents - Jeremiah

• 566 Replies

Mercy Merchant

• Prime Runner
« on: <07-10-16/2344:03> »
Saturday  10 June 2075    1600   Vorstacha Bar  Seattle

The Vorstacha Bar, more commonly known as Bud's, is full this afternoon.  Lots of the regulars at the titty bar-strip club-brothel have come in to get the latest news from the large trid screen kept over the bar.  The waitresses are all topless, which always adds to the draw.  An attractive girl by the name of Kandy is strutting her stuff on the small stage at one end of the bar, twirling about the pole as she finishes removing the last vestiges of her clothing.  Several appreciative men and two equally appreciative women are tossing scrip notes and coins onto the stage to show support for the girl.  The news is depressing, more so today than normal.  The feeds are full of reports of incidents in offices, Washington Rec, and even Mercy General Hospital that stretch back to just around 10 AM this morning.

The casual client who might wander in off the street could be forgiven for thinking that because this is a strip bar, the waitresses are topless, and there are rooms upstairs to rent by the hour, that this is a hands on establishment.  That misunderstanding is soon corrected by one of the three scarred bounces or Bud himself.   Bud does not have many rules, but it is stressed the girls are off limits unless they say yes, and then it was for whatever you worked out.  The clientele does not cross Bud on this rule because no one wants to be blacklisted from the best watering hole in the neighborhood.  They also did not want to cross him because he has a special relationship with Sasha Kirenko, the local Bratva boss for the Seattle Vory.............and no one in his right mind messes with Sasha Kirenko.  At least not more than once.

You notice that a new waitress, Elena, is sporting a nice set of boobs to go with a winning smile and long blonde hair.  She brings you another round and leans over to place the mug on the table, her full breasts swaying in front of you like ripe grapefruit ready to be picked.  The view this gives you easily distracts you from the news until she says, "Here is your drink, sir.  Lots of sad news on the trid today."
« Last Edit: <07-11-16/0142:36> by Mercy Merchant »
"Speech"  *Thought*  <Matrix>

Stuttrboy

• Omae
« Reply #1 on: <07-11-16/0128:47> »
 "That it is.  Enough ta drive a man to drink.  As luck would have it I'm in the right place for that, but I'll bend my arm to those poor saps what got boogered up." He takes a swallow and winces at the synthahol burns its way down his throat, peers sadly into his now mostly empty glass and quickly looks up with a toothy grin. "Best get me another, darlin' and make it a double.

Spokane scans the crowd looking for familiar faces scratching at the stubble of his chin, still amazed that it even grows through the thickened, tougher skin.  Not noticing anyone in particular, his attention returns to the news.  Something is going down.  If these attacks really are connected and the goons are going loud this easily it's gotta be big.  Thing is if they are going this loud someone has got to be using it as a distraction it would be stupid not to, and if someone wasn't, there may be plenty of people looking to use it as such.  That means there is an angle to squeeze and some money to make.

Spokane heads to the bar to bounce some ideas off Bud.
Life is a hideous thing, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous. --H. P. Lovecraft

Mercy Merchant

• Prime Runner
« Reply #2 on: <07-11-16/0156:07> »
Elena returns to your table with your drink while you are still scanning the small but lively crowd in the bar.  Her boobs look as good now as earlier, perhaps even a bit better after you downed that last drink and they will probably look a whole lot better when you finish off the double she puts on your table.  You recognize a few of the regulars as small-time Vory soldiers, but no one of any consequence.  Like the rest of the people here they are busy looking at naked girls and trying to figure out if they have enough scratch to get one upstairs to one of the rental beds.

You take the drink in hand and notice Elena's nicely shaped ass as she walks away to another customer.  Shaking your head you approach Bud where he is standing at the bar, surveying what is going on.  He is idly drying some of the glassware while his lead girl, Rachel, is pouring drinks for one of the waitresses.  Rachel has been here as long as you can remember and her tits still look great, even though they do sag a bit.  She smiles at you as she gives the last glass to Verna, who playfully bumps your thigh with hers and smiling at you as she moves off with a tray in her hands.  Rachel looks longingly at the retreating Verna and gives a soft sigh before looking at you.  "Whatcha need, Spokane?"  Her complete lack of a Russian accent is odd in a Vory bar, but she has earned considerable respect for being the only real non-Russian girl here.

Stuttrboy

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <07-11-16/0951:40> »
(OOC: Having read the Echo thread I'm going to assume some details.  If I get anything wrong, or have specific info that I shouldn't, let me know and I'll adjust the post)

Walking to the bar, Spokane skims through the stories taking stock of the different places attacked and the order trying to set up a time line. Courier office, washington rec, investigators office, Mercy general and now a private residence.  Someone is looking for a package and is having some trouble finding it.  Spokane winks at Vera as she passes and grins his most winning smile (he likes to think) at Rachel.

"Dearest I'm looking for distraction,"he says in his best southern drawl.  That means I go pick a fight out on the street or bounce some ideas off a sounding board for making a little scratch.  Not being so drunk as yet, I have decided on the latter.

Shifting his attention to Bud, Spokane continues Have you been watching the news?  Someone is looking for something or someone and they aren't being very discreet.  That kind of noise begs to be used as a distraction for something and I'm wracking my brain looking for an angle.  You hear any buzz?  Anything that leads to a payday and I'll get you a finders fee.

Life is a hideous thing, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous. --H. P. Lovecraft

Mercy Merchant

• Prime Runner
« Reply #4 on: <07-11-16/1228:57> »
Rachel smiles and says, "Plenty of distractions here, Spokane.  Take your pick, if you have enough scratch, or just sit and watch.  That new girl, Elena, is nice on the eyes."  She moves off to help one of the customers down the bar.  Bud finishes drying a glass and leans forward.  "I hear that Sasha Mikolovitch is looking for someone to deliver a package for him.  Pay is probably not great, but it is something.  He is upstairs with Stusha right now, but should be down shortly as he only paid for one hour.  He asked me to look around for him and you are the only one to ask about a job so far."

Stuttrboy

• Omae
« Reply #5 on: <07-11-16/1736:10> »
"Eh, not exactly what I had in mind but sure send him my way when he's done.  This guy legit?  He one of Kirenko's men or an indy?

"I gotta make friends with a hacker.  I really suck at matrix research."  Spokane goes back to his corner table kicks back and puts his feet up on the table so he can watch the rest of the bar while amber displays scroll across his vision as he looks for information on the victims and any connection they may have that he can find while he waits for a potential johnski.

Mercy Merchant

• Prime Runner
« Reply #6 on: <07-11-16/2010:22> »
color=blue]"No, he is one of Kirenko's men.  A middle management type, or at least one that thinks he ought to be middle management material.  Personally, I think he is a dangerous braggart, so be careful.  He does pay his bills, though, so that is something on the plus side, I guess."

You might be right about needing a hacker friend as all the information you can dig up pretty much matches what is scrolling across the feeds.  There is an interview with one of the doctors at the hospital that seems to fall a bit flat.  He was actually at Washington Rec during the attack and is credited with saving several lives, although he is adamant in claiming that the wanted man should get that credit.  Something in the way he talks leaves you thinking that he might know a bit more than he is telling the press. 

As Bud has surmised, you do not have to wait long for Sasha to come down.  He is wearing a fairly decent suit, which is a bit out of the norm for the area, and is straightening his tie as he comes down the stairs.  He goes to the bar and talks to Bud for a bit then turns to look at you.  Nodding, he motions with his head for you to join him.

Stuttrboy

• Omae
« Reply #7 on: <07-11-16/2049:12> »
Spokane sends a quick text to his fixer Feather, Hey Feather, I'm looking to get some info on these attacks going around.  How much would it cost me for some matrix research on the victims, the doctor at Mercy and maybe some police reports?, then heads over to see what kind of package needs transporting.  As he approaches the bar he scans the crowd to make sure no one has taken any interest.  He leans against the bar without looking at Sasha and taps his once again empty glass.

"Another finger there Bud?"  Then quieter but loud enough for Sasha to hear, "So you're the guy with the thing that needs moving?"

Mercy Merchant

• Prime Runner
« Reply #8 on: <07-11-16/2218:37> »
Bud pours you a half finger and shakes his head at your frown.  Sasha looks into his own glass and nods.  You a transporter?  I need someone not connected to cross some gang lines with a package.  You up for that?  If so follow me.  If not, get the frag away."  He tosses his drink down and places the glass on the bar before turning and walking to the door.  Bud looks at you and motions for you to follow.

Stuttrboy

• Omae
« Reply #9 on: <07-11-16/2251:59> »
Spokane tosses back the last of his drink and puts his glass on the table, grins at Bud and motions after Sasha.
"Mind if I run a tab then? Spokane winks at bud and follows Sasha to the door.

The numbing effect of the light buzz reminded him how he was still getting used to the new him, the new skin, the heaviness of his new bones, the disconcerting feeling he was merely an observer watching the movie of his life, how he didn't feel like he used to.  He felt cold and he wanted to feel warm again to feel...Lucy.  No!  Dammit this was supposed to be distracting him.  There's a job, focus on the job,  He pauses for a moment and visibly shakes it off a pushes open the door.
« Last Edit: <07-12-16/0111:43> by Stuttrboy »

Mercy Merchant

• Prime Runner
« Reply #10 on: <07-12-16/0127:31> »
Bud shakes his head as you walk away.  "Don't let it go too long, Spokane."  Sasha leads you out of the building and down the street.  He is confident enough that only one hard man falls into place behind him with you.  The walk is short and he leads you to a storefront with a small door to the side for access to the apartments above.  He goes into the small door and his guard falls off to remain outside.  The stairway is weakly lit, but the man seems to know his way as he climbs to the second floor and goes into a small apartment.  The furniture in the small living room consists of a table and four chairs and a ragged couch.  Three men are playing cards at the table but stand as Sasha walks in.  There is a very small kitchenette off to the left and a door to what you suppose is a bedroom.  You do not see any sign of a bathroom.

Sasha motions to one of the men, who goes off to the bedroom, returning with a small boy of about ten.  The lad has a blindfold over his eyes and appears to be trying and failing to appear unfrightened.  Sasha motions for you to take a seat and sends the boy back to the other room.  When the door is shut, he takes one of the other chairs.  "We took him a week ago from the woman who was watching him.  A ransom has been paid and now I need to return him.  I want you to return him.  This crap going on has all the gangs and the KE riled up and no one is moving as freely as before.  I need a relative outsider to do the job.  Is that you?"

Stuttrboy

• Omae
« Reply #11 on: <07-12-16/0200:01> »
Transporting a kidnap victim while KE is on high alert.  This is a bit more of a headache than delivering a package, but yeah I can do it.  Emphasis on CAN.  Two questions, am I taking the kid home or to another handler and how much is the compensation.

Please tell me I'm taking this kid home.  No weakness, this is just another job and we're haggling over the pay for a cattle drive, that's it, Spokane snorts softly and prepares for negotiations. 

Mercy Merchant

• Prime Runner
« Reply #12 on: <07-12-16/0938:48> »
Sasha shakes his head.  "No.  You will be taking him to meet his father at a pick up point.  The money has already changed hands so there should be no problems.  Just get the kid there and drop him off then go celebrate.  I can offer you 8K for the job, but will bump that to 12K because of the situation.  You get a third now and the rest when you come back."

Stuttrboy

• Omae
« Reply #13 on: <07-12-16/1018:12> »
Spokane doesn't let his relief show Hell I might've taken the kid home for free.

Yeah I can do that.  So where am I going and how pissed off are the gangs, what kind of trouble should I expect?  I gotta go pick up my bike at the bar do I take the kid with or come back with my kit?  You ready to go home kid?

Back at the bar Spokane slaps a c note on the counter for Bud.  Oh ye of little faith.  Split the tip with the new girl, what's her name.  Elena?

Back with the kid and the bike he puts the helmet on the kid after removing the blindfold.  Ever ridden on a bike little man?  You happy to be going back to your father?  You hungry?  We can stop on the way to get something.  You got a name?

OOC:  Trying to do the small talk thing without posting 20 times.
« Last Edit: <07-12-16/1020:16> by Stuttrboy »

Mercy Merchant

• Prime Runner
« Reply #14 on: <07-13-16/0237:50> »
Sasha laughs.  "The gangs are being rousted by the KE after what has happened and they are pissed as hell at anything that does not belong in their turf.  The trouble you should expect is of the two-legged kind that has guns.  Beyond the gangs is the KE and they are all over the place.  And they are pissed, too.  They lost several officers at the hospital and have sworn to crack down on the city to find the men that did this.  You will have no friends out there once you leave this neighborhood."

"Leave the kid here until you get the bike and your kit.  We will get him ready to move.  Are you sure that you want to risk your bike?  My replacing it is not part of the deal if you lose it, understand?"

Bud looks at you as he takes the money and nods over at the waitress.  Turning, you see that she is bending over one of the tables and taking drink orders.  The view from behind is very nice indeed.  "Will do, Spokane.  Looks like you made a deal with Sasha.  You know, you can give it to her yourself if you like.  I am certain that she won't mind."

[spoiler]Let's do these conversations before getting to the boy.