NEWS

Noob questions on Mission plays

• 17 Replies

Kiirnodel

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #15 on: <03-07-16/0923:55> »
Thank you! That's exactly the answers i was looking for. A few more did come up speaking with friends, however, most of those answered by the fact but if you don't mind me asking more noob questions i'll post them as they come up.

What's the Missions stance on MysAds and Metamagics? Can they take magician ones as well as adepts or do they need the Magician's way? i was unable to find that info in the current FAQ version

yes, it's actually pretty straight forward unless you are over thinking and trying to make it more complicated then it needs to be ... Mystic Adepts count as both mages and adepts so when they initiate they can choose from either

Is this your opinion on mysads or official clarification from above. While CRB would be in line with what you stated, SG has a little thing called Magician's Way which kinda says mysads can take magician's metamagics with this quality- implying very heavily that you can't otherwise. And generally speaking a specific rule trumps a general rule. Not much reason to take Magician's Way if all mysads can take any metamagic they want.

Well, first off, to argue that final point you made, the way still gives access to the Magician's Way exclusive enhancements and still gives a discount on whatever powers you want. So I would hardly say there is "not much reason" to take the Magician's Way...

Based on the available text, it cannot be logically proven that Only Mystic Adepts following the Magician's Way have access to "non-adept" metamagics. Take this logical progression:

1. "mystic adepts following this Way have access to all non-adept metamagics abilities for which they meet the prerequisites"
2. Mystic Adept "Meta" is following the Magician's Way
3. "Meta" has access to all non-adept metamagics (etc)

This statement passes basic logic. If A then B, A is True, so B is True. However, the contrapositive is not proven based purely on this text. Trying to use this statement to do so is the logical fallacy of denying the antecedent.

1. "mystic adepts following this Way have access to all non-adept metamagics abilities for which they meet the prerequisites"
2. Mystic Adept "Max" does not follow the Magician's Way
3. "Max" does not have access to non-adept metamagics (etc)

This second example is false, it isn't positively proven. If A then B, if A is False, B is not automatically false.
« Last Edit: <03-07-16/0925:52> by Kiirnodel »

Banshee

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #16 on: <03-07-16/0927:29> »
Thank you! That's exactly the answers i was looking for. A few more did come up speaking with friends, however, most of those answered by the fact but if you don't mind me asking more noob questions i'll post them as they come up.

What's the Missions stance on MysAds and Metamagics? Can they take magician ones as well as adepts or do they need the Magician's way? i was unable to find that info in the current FAQ version

yes, it's actually pretty straight forward unless you are over thinking and trying to make it more complicated then it needs to be ... Mystic Adepts count as both mages and adepts so when they initiate they can choose from either

Is this your opinion on mysads or official clarification from above. While CRB would be in line with what you stated, SG has a little thing called Magician's Way which kinda says mysads can take magician's metamagics with this quality- implying very heavily that you can't otherwise. And generally speaking a specific rule trumps a general rule. Not much reason to take Magician's Way if all mysads can take any metamagic they want.

my response is official as it relates to Missions play at least, but without direct input from the Author regarding the Magicians Way we assume it is not meant to be so confusing and merely a way for mystic adepts to "create" thier own specialization of an adept power package
Robert "Banshee" Volbrecht
Freelancer & FAQ Committee member
Former RPG Lead Agent
Catalyst Demo Team

KraakenDazs

• Chummer
« Reply #17 on: <03-07-16/1825:03> »
At the same time, the Street Grimoire says that you can initiate ''into'' an higher art school through initiation, which THEN gives you a free metamagic.  What's to stop adepts from initiating into an High art, which is never prohibited anywhere, and THEN receiving the free meta, as an after-effect? :P

Yeah it's a huge debate already,and i wasn't asking house ruling or Shadowrun-official errata but what people's general Mission concensus was, which i believe Banshee answered.

I would however, gladly argue with you on the same topic on the Rules board :D
Maybe, just maybe, concrete and Plasteel are MEANT to armor our planet, and not harm it, omae. Hydroponics can nourish our needy. And i assure you nuclear energy's been involved in getting you that fancy 'ware, chummer.Our mistake? Trading Wisdom for Greed. - Dögan "Babyface" Kross