NEWS

[5E IC] Trial by fire

• 113 Replies

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #15 on: <02-26-16/1350:18> »
Knucks slips on his sunglasses, both to look cool and because they enhance his vision. He scans the street and notes the tranquility.

Calm before the storm, eh.

He sees the gang signs one block over and wonders if this patch is neutral, or no man's land. Maybe this is where they rumble, he thinks. Or maybe the rumble is to assign ownership. Either way, the prospect of pounding on smoothies has him optimistic about the evening.

He spies a low-rent elf with a blue facial tattoo and a dwarf in a good suit. They don't look like they're here to score chips or trips. He looks at the gallery and make the connection. Artist, he thinks, considering the elf. Studio owner? he wonders about the dwarf. His name probably isn't Marianna, though. Maybe a salesman then.

He grabs his duffle bags and heads toward the studio to talk to Marianna.

badneighbor

• Chummer
« Reply #16 on: <02-26-16/2347:31> »
With Uffington in tow, Expo casually strolls up to the group of homeless taking shelter in the doorways near the corner.

"Evenin', folks. Seems pretty quiet out here tonight, hm? Almost peaceful. Weirds me out, to be honest." He shares a knowing grin, "Anyway, I happened to notice some graffiti-on-graffiti action over there, and thought maybe someone had an idea what was going on here tonight. For good info on, say, the Chulos or the Technoids, I'm willing to part with enough creds to buy a hot meal and a night's stay in a coffin hotel..."

He lets the sentence trail off as he draws his left hand out from his coat pocket just enough to show the credstick he's holding.

rednblack

• Prime Runner
  • TECH-NO-LOGIC-KILL
« Reply #17 on: <02-28-16/1547:41> »
"Evenin', folks. Seems pretty quiet out here tonight, hm? Almost peaceful. Weirds me out, to be honest." He shares a knowing grin, "Anyway, I happened to notice some graffiti-on-graffiti action over there, and thought maybe someone had an idea what was going on here tonight. For good info on, say, the Chulos or the Technoids, I'm willing to part with enough creds to buy a hot meal and a night's stay in a coffin hotel..."

"With the fog being what it is, it'll be a good night to be indoors," Uffington adds, from personal experience.  Before he'd found the squat, he'd spent a few nights wondering if he was going to freeze to death . . . in California of all places.

Before the group answers, Uffington catches sight of the ork who was driving the pickup truck strolling up to the gallery door.  Oh drek.  He opens his third eye, sways on his feet for a moment while he takes in the ork's aura.  Double drek.  It was painful to look at.  He was much more machine than meta.  His bones, muscles, eyes, ears, everything really; hell even his tusks (Now why would he alter his tusks?  That was a new one.) were picked out of a catalog.  Uffington prepares to send a manabolt at the intruder, but his spirit remains quiet, and come to think of it, the ork wasn't approaching with any sense of malice or impending violence.  If anything he was rather calm.

Huh?

Speech
Thought
Matrix/Comm
Astral
Subvocal

Zweiblumen

• Ace Runner
« Reply #18 on: <02-29-16/0322:06> »
@Knucks
As you walk in the front door of the gallery, the AR artist sees you and clears her throat loudly.  Marianna comes  to the front and sees you.  At first she's a bit startled, then composes herself.  "You must be Mr. Knucks?  I was told to expect you.  Please come in the back."  As she leads you through the front of the gallery the others mostly ignore you as they continue you setup.  You see on installation is already hung and ready for the evening.
She shows you to a small storage room and you see some gear tucked away back here.  "You can store anything you like back here.  And I hope you'll understand when I ask that you use the back door over there," she gestures towards the ally, "when you come and go.  Your attire is, well, normal for the neighborhood, but not what the folks coming here are expecting.  I am hoping that between you, Mr. Uffington and, er..." she stammers a bit before continuing.  "Mr. Expo, yes that was his name, are able to keep any outside problems outside?  Have you met them yet? They were just here and headed down the street a moment ago.  Either way, you can reach me at the gallery if you need anything."  She passes an AR contact icon to you with various ways you can reach her here at the gallery.

@Expo
As you and Uffington approach a smaller ork that's huddled in one of the doorways a block up Tennessee he shrinks back and gathers she shrinks back and gathers her things close.  Your body language is non-threatening and she relaxes a bit once she realizes you aren't trying to kick her out or steal her stuff or rape her.  "Meal sounds wiz, but I ain't leavin' da 'hood.  Good place like dis is hard ta find.  It's mine, an nobiddy bodder me here for 'most a week.  Gettin' a hotel for the night is just askin' fer trouble.  Plus, de fog ain't dat bad iffin' ya know where to stay warm," she says as she nods at the grate under your feet that's letting off a awful smell, but warmth none the less.  "You lookin fer da local kids up da street trying to make some noise down here wit da Chulos?  I might talk for summa dat food.  Yous look rich 'nuff to me, maybe you get it to come here?"

@Uffington
The young ork looks like a seasoned street kid to you.  You've seen their type a hundred times before.  Not half old enough to be here, and twice as smart as any corp kid when it comes to taking care of herself.
As you glance back down the street and see a huge, yet short, ork in street clothes headed towards the gallery.  As you assense him, it almost hurts how badly his aura is damaged, it's mostly black.  He's barely a meta-human anymore.  From this distance its hard to tell exactly where all of the cyber/bioware is, but it's really a case of figuring out where it isn't.  You can tell, again even from this distance, that he's on some generic downers right now and appears to be in a calm mood.  Definitely not the kind that you'd expect to start trouble.
« Last Edit: <02-29-16/1120:48> by Zweiblumen »
Speech, Thoughts, Comm/Text, Subvocal

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #19 on: <02-29-16/1350:21> »
Knucks walks into the gallery. He looks around at all the pretty things, thinking of himself as the proverbial bull in the china shop. The bull is self-medicating and semi-tranquilized at the moment.

He sets his bags down where Marianna indicates. He scowls at the request to come and go via the alley.

Typical smoothie sentiment, he thinks to himself. Never want to be seen with the help. Embarrassed by the house trog. The drugs keep him from getting too riled up though.

"You ever do any sculpture installations? You should have some sculptures of metas, then bring in some bodybuilders to pose alongside." He flexes, hitting a few show poses, letting his muscles bulge through his thin tank-top. "They did that once, you know. Hundred years ago, in New York. Crowds went hydro. 'Course, we're even bigger now than the normals back then." He continues to show off his inhuman muscles, regardless of Marianna's interest or lack thereof.

He stops. "I'm telling you, you gotta give them what they don't expect. That's when you push things forward."

He leaves on that note, making a point to walk out through the showroom instead of the alley. Outside, he looks up and down the street for Mssrs. Expo and Uffington.

Uffington. Sounds like a ponce. Hopefully Lord Thistlewick and Lady Tambling-Goggin can spare him for the evening.

Expo. Better not be some sort of flasher. That's a good way to get turned into a sidewalk outline.

The only people he sees are the artist and the art salesman, who seem to be harassing a small ork that's huddled in a doorway a block away. He goes over to intervene.

rednblack

• Prime Runner
  • TECH-NO-LOGIC-KILL
« Reply #20 on: <03-01-16/1433:22> »
"You lookin fer da local kids up da street trying to make some noise down here wit da Chulos?  I might talk for summa dat food.  Yous look rich 'nuff to me, maybe you get it to come here?"

"This your spot, eh?" Uffington asks.  The ork girls looks to be relaxing some, but she's still keeping a close eye on the pair, odd as they must look.  "Wiz.  We ain't trying to impose, or nothing.  Just get a little info is all.  I'll go fix ya a plate.  Oh, and uh, ya got a sticker?"  He holds out a knife by the blade so that the handle is in the ork's direction.  "Can't be too careful, eh?  If you could use it, it's yours."

He turns to head back inside the gallery, only to find himself face-to-face with the big ork from the truck.  Uffington goes to move past him, but the ork blocks his way.  "You gotta problem, chummer?"

"Stuff it, smoothie."  The ork's muscles are dense ropes, and Uffington can't help but wonder what just one shot would do to his already misshapen nose. 

"so ka.  I'll get right to that.  Rather not in the middle of the street, do, eh?  Mind if I walk past?"  Uffington answers after a moment.
Speech
Thought
Matrix/Comm
Astral
Subvocal

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #21 on: <03-01-16/1643:12> »
Knucks sees the elf pull a knife. He remembers that he's only wearing his tank top.

First rule of a knife fight: you're going to get cut. He heroically accepts the possibility if it means standing up for one of his ork sisters against the tyranny of evil men.

Knucks flexes and swells up to his full size, flaring his lats and his neck like a cobra spreading its hood.

"What's going on here?" he asks in his deepest baritone, eyes darting back and forth suspiciously between the men and the smaller ork woman. "Skraa, ken! Unjort w'rioq sdf'ml oiwer s'fk?" he asks her in Or'zet, inquiring if the men were giving her any trouble.

badneighbor

• Chummer
« Reply #22 on: <03-01-16/1736:16> »
@Expo
As you and Uffington approach a smaller ork that's huddled in one of the doorways a block up Tennessee he shrinks back and gathers she shrinks back and gathers her things close.  Your body language is non-threatening and she relaxes a bit once she realizes you aren't trying to kick her out or steal her stuff or rape her.  "Meal sounds wiz, but I ain't leavin' da 'hood.  Good place like dis is hard ta find.  It's mine, an nobiddy bodder me here for 'most a week.  Gettin' a hotel for the night is just askin' fer trouble.  Plus, de fog ain't dat bad iffin' ya know where to stay warm," she says as she nods at the grate under your feet that's letting off a awful smell, but warmth none the less.  "You lookin fer da local kids up da street trying to make some noise down here wit da Chulos?  I might talk for summa dat food.  Yous look rich 'nuff to me, maybe you get it to come here?"
"This your spot, eh?" Uffington asks.  The ork girls looks to be relaxing some, but she's still keeping a close eye on the pair, odd as they must look.  "Wiz.  We ain't trying to impose, or nothing.  Just get a little info is all.  I'll go fix ya a plate.  Oh, and uh, ya got a sticker?"  He holds out a knife by the blade so that the handle is in the ork's direction.  "Can't be too careful, eh?  If you could use it, it's yours."

As Uffington talks to the girl, Expo slides the commlink back out of his pocket and taps away at it, making a face. He will never, ever understand these urchin-types, turning down a warm(-ish) bed in favor of the streets.
He turns to head back inside the gallery, only to find himself face-to-face with the big ork from the truck.  Uffington goes to move past him, but the ork blocks his way.  "You gotta problem, chummer?"

"Stuff it, smoothie."  The ork's muscles are dense ropes, and Uffington can't help but wonder what just one shot would do to his already misshapen nose. 

"so ka.  I'll get right to that.  Rather not in the middle of the street, do, eh?  Mind if I walk past?"  Uffington answers after a moment.

Expo focuses his attention on the girl, offering an apologetic sort of smile for just in case things got ugly with the thug. He taps the “call” key and hears the connection ring in his earbuds.
”Alright, darling. Have it your way. Food’s coming to you.”
Knucks flexes and swells up to his full size, flaring his lats and his neck like a cobra spreading its hood.

"What's going on here?" he asks in his deepest baritone, eyes darting back and forth suspiciously between the men and the smaller ork woman. "Skraa, ken! Unjort w'rioq sdf'ml oiwer s'fk?" he asks her in Or'zet, inquiring if the men were giving her any trouble.

Before the elf can answer, Expo glances sidelong away from the girl and answers in a definitive tone: “Ordering pizza, actually. Girl said she was hungry and it’s in my immediate interest to get her fed.”
He turns to make eye contact with the terrifyingly muscled ork, grateful that Uffington was between them. “You want one, too?” Thankfully, the call is answered and Expo has an excuse to look away again before getting flattened by testosterone. ”Hey, yeah, I need two large cheese pizzas. Yeah. Ugh. Sure, soycheese is fine. Corner of 20th and Tennessee. Yeah, just put ‘em right—drop them on the corner. The sidewalk. Yes. I’ll slot the creds now. Thanks.”

He taps a couple more keys on his ‘link to send the payment through, then pockets the commlink again. Deliberately ignoring Uffington and the thug, he redirects his full attention to the ork girl, hands spread as if to say “ta-da!”

"Food’s on its way, alright? Should be here in abouit fifteen. I held up my end of the deal. So whaddya got fo me on those gangs?”

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #23 on: <03-01-16/1819:32> »
Knucks' rampage is neatly derailed by the smooth-talking dwarf, who has an earnestness and transparency about him the engenders trust.

"Well," he says, somewhat flummoxed. "Okay then." He lowers his guard and twists to the side so that Uffington can pass.

Knucks shoots a glance to the ork woman to confirm whether what the dwarf is saying is true. The mention of gangs piques his interest as well, so he stays to listen.

Zweiblumen

• Ace Runner
« Reply #24 on: <03-02-16/0037:20> »
@Uffington
She pulls back the blanket just a bit and you see an array of blades.  And then she reaches up and takes your stick.  "Can always use annoder yeah?"

"Food’s on its way, alright? Should be here in abouit fifteen. I held up my end of the deal. So whaddya got fo me on those gangs?”

The girl looks up at you wide eyed.  "Patxis?!??!  Yer da best!  You wanna know about them new kids trying to scrape some ground for themselves?  They are kids.  Like some a dem are lill'.  The Chulos don't tak'em no mind.  But dey got dem a show down commin' tonight.  Onna dem tech's dun geeked a Chu' for sellin' on the corner and shit gon'down.  Dunno when, but I got me.  So I ain't worried none... Why you care?"

@Knucks
Knucks' rampage is neatly derailed by the smooth-talking dwarf, who has an earnestness and transparency about him the engenders trust.

"Well," he says, somewhat flummoxed. "Okay then." He lowers his guard and twists to the side so that Uffington can pass.

Knucks shoots a glance to the ork woman to confirm whether what the dwarf is saying is true. The mention of gangs piques his interest as well, so he stays to listen.

She throws a couple of hand signals to you that you recognize as street sign, but aren't quite sure what it means.  It either means everything is cool or to get out of dodge.  Her body language makes you think everything is fine, and the way she reacts to the suit and daisy-eater seems relaxed though.  And the dwarf has very much de-escalated the situation.  Pizza sounds wiz right about now.
« Last Edit: <03-02-16/0836:52> by Zweiblumen »
Speech, Thoughts, Comm/Text, Subvocal

rednblack

• Prime Runner
  • TECH-NO-LOGIC-KILL
« Reply #25 on: <03-02-16/1157:09> »
Uffington shifts awkwardly on his feet, not knowing where to go.  With food coming, there's no need for him to head back to the gallery, and with the young ork starting to talk, he wants to be sure that he's close by to hear what's useful.  The big ork, though, has turned to the side, and is waiting expectantly for Uffington to walk past.

"Pizza delivery, wiz.  They don't come by my digs."

He backs away, slowly, not turning his back on the ork.  "If there's nothing else, we'd like to continue our talk," he says to the ork with prototypical elven arrogance, while jutting his hands into the pockets of his armored jacket.

Drek, shoulda got Expo's commcode when I had the chance.  Maybe he can get this guy to beat it.
Speech
Thought
Matrix/Comm
Astral
Subvocal

badneighbor

• Chummer
« Reply #26 on: <03-02-16/1510:28> »
Suppressing the urge to make a face, Expo speaks under his breath to Uffington in a sort of stage whisper: “Pizza ain’t for us, chummer. You’re hungry, we can get food once the job’s done. My treat.”

He returns his full attention to the girl and offers an explanation in simple, friendly terms.

“I care because I need to make it so this showdown happens some other time, some other place, or not at all. I don’t need a shootout in the street interrupting the show at the gallery down the way. Art buyers usually get jumpy at that sorta thing, y’know? It’s bad for business. Otherwise I don’t give a devil-rat’s ass if gangers wanna ventilate each other."

He pauses for a moment, allowing a thought to run its course before he turns to address the big ork. “You’re not wearing colors. You with this girl? Know anything about these gangs that might be of use?”

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #27 on: <03-02-16/1714:24> »
Knucks isn't one to pass up free pizza.

Kilojoules for killing fools, he thinks.

He waits patiently, oblivious of any social awkwardness or impropriety.

"Naw, chum," he says when the dwarf addresses him. "I don't know her. But I got a vested interest, scan? Been hired to lay the hurt on some gonks that feel they gotta step tonight. When it's game time, it's pain time." He slams his fists together in an unsettling CLACK. "Gonna lay down the cover for you artist-types to do your thing, savvy? 

"Chulo, yeah I know Chuy. Not these Chuys but Chuys in general-like. These other slots, no I don't know. Stepping up, been there. Little boys gotta make noise. Shouting in the street, gonna take on the world some day. Not tonight though. Tonight's blood on the face, big disgrace. Gonna get their hoops kicked all over the place, if not by the Chuys then by yours truly."

badneighbor

• Chummer
« Reply #28 on: <03-03-16/0919:47> »
Expo's eyebrows furrow as the ork talks as he works to make sense of what's being said.

"'Hired'? Who hired y--wait." A lightbulb goes off. "Wait wait wait a minute."

He points a finger up at the pile of muscle. "You're Knucks, aren't you?"

He lets out a quick, sharp laugh and shoots a glance over to Uffington before his pointing finger unfolds into an extended hand. He does his best not to show fear, in case Knucks crushes it, or his guess is wrong.

"I apologize. I'm Expo, this here is Uffington. Very happy to know we're all on the same side, here."

rednblack

• Prime Runner
  • TECH-NO-LOGIC-KILL
« Reply #29 on: <03-03-16/1257:31> »
Uffington relaxes his grip on the rodent teeth in his pockets, and resists the urge to smack himself on the forehead.  Knucks?  Of course.  Thank Ghost.  He extends his hand at Knucks for a friendly shake.  "Oh, that's wiz.  Good to meet you."

He turns to the ork waiting on the pizza.  "Where the techs post up, usual-like?"
Speech
Thought
Matrix/Comm
Astral
Subvocal