NEWS

[5E IC] Trial by fire

• 113 Replies

Zweiblumen

• Ace Runner
« on: <02-23-16/0025:16> »
San Francisco.  Thursday, August 15th 2075

@Expo:
Marianna has arranged for you to have a small section at a showing she's having this evening.  You arrive at her Dogpatch gallery, '827 Tennessee', in the early afternoon to install the 4 pieces you have showing tonight.  There are three other artists showing at this event.  Two elves, an older male that's doing some sculptures and a very young slender female that is doing an entire AR installation.  The third is a middle aged, somewhat portly human that is also has paintings here.  You nod in appreciation of their work, but all of you are busy setting up your space.  You're almost done when Marianna comes up to you and asks you to come into the back.  "I've just gotten word that there might be some street trouble tonight.  Keep an eye out for trouble, and I'm getting some more... how do you say, casual? help to keep things quiet.  Any violence in here would be very bad for business," she says with a knowing look.  "If there is any trouble in the area and you can keep it out of the gallery, I'll guarantee at least one of your pieces will sell for full price tonight."  Your look at the price sheet and see she's got your pieces listed at significantly high
er than you usually charge.  All in the 2k range.

@Uffington:
It's about 2:30 in the afternoon, and you're meeting your friend Estrella for a late lunch at Magnolia on 3rd St in the Dogpatch to see if she's got any work for you.  And to grab a beer on her.  You see her at her usual booth with a pint in front of her (it's the real stuff here, no synthohol) and a plate of ribs (unfortunately they can't keep real meat in stock, so its soy, but the sauce is amazing).  You go through the line and get a meal, then sit down at her table.  The dwarf looks at you with the semi-disgusted look she always has.  "Word on the street is there's going to be a turf tussle in the 'hood tonight.  There's also a gallery showing that some folks have decided was sooo important," she says the last with dry and droll sarcasm.  "Anyway, they are paying good money just to show up and keep any eye on things.  And better money to keep folks safe.  Should be a milk run," she says with a twinkle in her eye.  You know she gets a commission of of anything you make.  "You in, or do I gotta find someone else?"

@Knucks:
[spoiler]Gonna put you in an Up state here if you're okay with that.  Figure that's appropriate for showing off.[/spoiler]
You're at the gym trying to impress some of the orks working out there by benching rediculous amounts of weight.  A few of the younger ones are gawking at you, but most of the veterans can see what's going on and just roll their eyes at you and go about their business.  They won't bother you, but aren't impressed either.  As you finish your set and clean off the bench you see a message from Fish Boy about a chance for you to make some jing and maybe impress a few folks.  <<<@Knucks [Fish Boy] Hoi chump.  Got a chance for you to make some jing and maybe impress some tuskers.  Word on the street is that there's some 'turf negotiation' that's going to happen between two breeder gangs Downtown.  Normally this wouldn't matter at all to you and yours, but some OTHER breeder has some kind of art place she want's to keep safe.  They are looking for some muscle to keep the gangs off that block for the night and the nuyen is good.  ¥1k just to show up!  ¥500 more if there's trouble, and another ¥500 if that trouble doesn't bother the pretty squishies inside.  Plus, it's a chance to show these breeder gangs a thing or two about how you take care of business.  You interested?>>>
« Last Edit: <02-23-16/1559:39> by Zweiblumen »
Speech, Thoughts, Comm/Text, Subvocal

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <02-23-16/0104:23> »
Knucks is crushing it at Iron Age. He loves to complain about the machines that don't offer enough weight.

"Wanted: new spotter. Old one can't handle my load anymore. Racking eight plates easy and then some on the chest, boys. This ain't no child's game!"

He flexes in the mirror, showing off his pump. He flicks his biceps, which are tight with rushing blood.

"66cm and counting. Back and bis at 09:00, chest and tris at eleven. Legs after lunch. Myco and wild rice after. My whey or the highway!!"

He gives his mean mug to some human runts. Words of encouragement for the young trolls.

"Keep hitting it. You'll get there. 'cept you, round ears. Ain't drek God or man can do for you. Getouttahere. Let the real men work."

His commlink chirps. He listens while pounding a protein shake that he can't really afford, given that he'll be forty grand in debt at the end of the month. Things got expensive when you were trying to put down 25,000 kilojoules a day.

<<@Fish Boy [Knucks] Taking breeders' money to bash other breeders? Just tell me when and where! Knucks will come out to play.>>

He hits the showers.

rednblack

• Prime Runner
  • TECH-NO-LOGIC-KILL
« Reply #2 on: <02-23-16/1139:29> »
"Strell," Uffington says with his lopsided grin as he takes a seat.  It's nice of her to buy his lunch and beer, especially as he can't afford the real stuff.  While they catch up, he tries to measure his bites and sips, but it's difficult.  He washes down his soyrib with a large gulp of Magnolia's summer seasonal, and wipes his hands while she gets down to business.

"Milk run, eh?  Well let it never be said you were one for superstitions."

The dwarf rolls he eyes, and gives a little cough.  They make an interesting pair down here in the Dogpatch.  The sullen dwarf in the power suit, her nostrils perpetually flared which gave her face the impression that she was always in a state of mild disgust.  Uffington, on the other hand, is all smiles and sticky fingers, a stripe of blue painted across his face from temple-to-temple, his synth-leather pants and off-white short-sleeve hoodie stenciled in knotwork.  She isn't all that hard, he thinks and smiles even bigger.

"Word on the street is there's going to be a turf tussle in the 'hood tonight.  There's also a gallery showing that some folks have decided was sooo important," she says the last with dry and droll sarcasm.  "Anyway, they are paying good money just to show up and keep any eye on things.  And better money to keep folks safe.  Should be a milk run," she says with a twinkle in her eye.  You know she gets a commission of of anything you make.  "You in, or do I gotta find someone else?"

"Yeah.  Sure, I'm in," Uffington says draining his pint.  "What's the pay, who're the players, any word on who I'll be working with ya know, the regular specs?  Are they wanting this to be a visible security kinda thing, or am I supposed to blend?  I mean, can I bring my crossbow, and come ready to party, or do I need to look like one of those weirdo artist types?"
Speech
Thought
Matrix/Comm
Astral
Subvocal

badneighbor

• Chummer
« Reply #3 on: <02-23-16/1324:10> »
"I've just gotten word that there might be some street trouble tonight.  Keep an eye out for trouble, and I'm getting some more... how do you say, casual? help to keep things quiet.  Any violence in here would be very bad for business," she says with a knowing look.  "If there is any trouble in the area and you can keep it out of the gallery, I'll guarantee at least one of your pieces will sell for full price tonight."  You look at the price sheet and see she's got your pieces listed at significantly higher than you usually charge.  All in the 2k range.
Emeric hands the sheet back to her with a warm smile.
“This is good. If you’re telling me you can sell my paintings, I’ll do whatever I need to. Although I won’t have to spend all evening outside with the ‘casual’ help, I hope? I would hate to miss out on the showing.”
He uncaps his water bottle and takes a small sip, then shifts his weight to lean forward in his chair a little. He speaks more quietly:
“What makes you think there’ll be trouble, Marianna? Who would want to start something at a gallery? Any information you have will be useful, I’m sure.”

Zweiblumen

• Ace Runner
« Reply #4 on: <02-23-16/1832:19> »
@Knucks
The smaller humans shrink back in mock intimidation.  They've seen your type before.  The trolls, figuring your just short for an ork, smile and accept the encouragement.

<<<@Knucks [Fish Boy] Some gallery down in the 'patch.  827 Tenessee, one of those name is the address kinda spots.  The lady running the place is Marianna Coughlan.  She's hosting some kind of event tonight.  I'd get there around 4:30 to get the lay of the land and figure out whats going on.  She's handling your pay.  Let us know how it goes.>>>

Knucks hits the showers, and heads out.  The gym is on Cesar Chaves, right on the edge of Bayview.  When Knucks pulls up a map to find where the gallery is he sees it's about a 20 minute walk from the gym.  He's got 2-3 hours to kill.
[spoiler]Lemme know if there's anything you want to do in between, or just jump to the Gallery.  I'm gonna say you've stayed in your last state unless you mention otherwise (up or down).[/spoiler]
@Uffington
Estrella huffs.  "It's always the same with you runners.  Money, money, money, info, info, info."  She takes a drink from her pint.  "Marianna Coughlan is running an event there tonight.  She's paying 1k to show up, 500 if you run into trouble, another 500 if you keep the trouble off their front porch.  Event starts at 5:30, I'd get there plenty early, say 4:30.  As for gear, I'd bring options.  It's a gallery, anything you don't need I'm sure you can store in the back.  What am I telling you this for?  You've done this kind of thing before.  Now finish up and go make some jing.  Leave a woman in peace."
[spoiler]Like Knucks, Uffington has some time to kill.  He's pretty much right around the corner from the Gallery.  If you want to do anything lemme know, or you can jump to arriving at the Gallery.  Either way, gimme a judge intention roll and a general perception roll for the end of the conversation in the OOC thread before you post a response.  Thanks.[/spoiler]

@Expo:
"As I said, word is that the street is going to see some trouble tonight.  I'm guessing its street gangs over some turf issue, but I wouldn't know anything about that.  I don't think they are targeting the Gallery specifically... yet.  We pay our protection, and we'll pay to whoever is running the block.  But we, and I mean you, don't want any of these clients to feel threatened here.  Several have come to spend a lot of money, and it would be good for our reputation for things to go well tonight.  I'd just heard you were the type that might be able to help ensure that happens.  Maybe you could ask some of the people you know about this stuff?  It's really out of my league, I just sell art!"  She says the last in a bit of a huff, obviously distrought over the notion of having to deal with this.  You know that while the Dogpatch is gentrify-ing, the gallery did get here on the early side of things.  It's half barrens/half retail here.  The further from the MUNI you get the less gentrified it is.
[spoiler] Go ahead and gimme a Street Knowledge (Streets) roll in the OOC thread before you respond.  We'll see if you know more about what's going on here than Marianna.[/spoiler]

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #5 on: <02-23-16/1915:02> »
Knucks stands in the shower, the water drumming on his head and back. His cyberears and their augmented hearing make each drop sound like a tap on a empty can. The hollow, rhythmic ratatatat starts to bring him down from his high.

Drying off, he chases a handful of pills with more protein shake. Knucks sees another musclebound ork look at him; the other ork shakes his head.

Knucks sees the look. "It's not Ripper," Knucks says defensively. "It's just G3," he lies. "Helps with recovery. See? No Roidpatches." He twists to demonstrate the absence of any slap patches full of synthetic steroids, pseudolipids, sugars, and amphetamines. "Nothing but hard work."

He gets dressed, feeling the weight of the man's condescending look blend together with the central nervous system retardants of the pills. He gives a heavy sigh and pulls on his favorite hoodie, the one with the sleeves ripped off. Airy enough for the summer day, and decent for the evenings with an armor vest over it and the hood pulled up. The creeping chill of the San Francisco summer nights was something he still wasn't accustomed to, especially coming from Boise.

He goes to his truck, sliding behind the wheel. As usual, Pepe smelled like a bean burrito. It had smelled that way ever since Knucks had bought the truck, and a steady diet of excellent Aztlaner food had done little to change things since he arrived in San Fran. The tortillas here are so much better than home. He had wanted to try a lot of the ramen and udon places he had read about but he still wasn't sure if doing so would be taken as some sort of pro-Japanese, anti-meta symbol.

The pills made driving feel different, like the rest of the world was sped up. He drives more slowly than usual because he feels slower and more cautious. After he's done a few loops around the block, he looks for a taco truck for lunch before returning home to take a nap and gather his gear.

Zweiblumen

• Ace Runner
« Reply #6 on: <02-25-16/0117:45> »
@Kuncks
As you leave the gym, you pop your pills.  Swinging by and gets a taco which, relatively, tastes amazing but doesn't really feel all that amazing given your mood.  As you drive around the neighborhood you sees a two different gang symbols being scratched and written over in various places.  It's obvious that the two factions are currently disputing the given area.  The symbols don't mean anything to you.  You figure you'll have to ask around to figure out who's who around here.

@Uffington
As you finish your conversation with Estrella, she mentions that Marianna is trying to hire others but she doesn't know them.  Heading back across town to prepare.  Remembering quite a bit about the local neighborhood and you decide to prepare appropriately for the evening.  When you head back to the gallery, Marianna greets you and shows you to a room in the back where you can store any gear you need to there.  "Feel free to use this area for anything you need to do.  You may want to talk with Expo, he's the younger of the two painters up front.  He may be able to help out with anything you're looking to do.  By the way, do you know a 'Knucks'?  He's supposed to come by soon as well."

@Expo
You can't remember anything specific about the area, Marianna's breaking down probably distracting you.  She excuses herself to compose herself before heading back out into the public gallery.

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #7 on: <02-25-16/0225:42> »
Knucks wakes up from his nap, feeling the aches of the morning's workout in his arms. His back aches too, the product of a sagging mattress that is in no way suitable for his massive weight. The density of his muscles and bones pushed meant he weighed somewhere around 105kg, which is at least 50% more than this second-hand mattress wants to deal with.

He sits on the edge of the bed, kneading his back and stretching. A thought had come to him in his sleep, his subconscious bubbling up some wisdom:

You should find out who claims that turf. Make some discrete inquiries. Don't wear anything that could be interpreted as colors. Buy a bump of coke. ¥10 here and ¥10 there can tell you a lot.

He pulls on some pants and steps into his plasteel toe boots. He debates wearing his 'colors', knowing that they'll largely be meaningless here in San Francisco, but thinks better of it and pulls on a bland white tanktop. Into one duffle bag go his armor vest, forearm guards, and custom ballistic mask with its freaky tribal bear design. Into the other bag does his shotgun, some ammo, and a few flash-bags. Around his person he stashes some throwing knives a few drugs, just in case.

Leaving Butchertown in Bayview, he drives to Dogpatch and parks. Getting out, he feels the summer sun on his shoulders and is reminded of Boise.

'Turf negotations', Fish Boy said, he thinks to himself. Know how that goes. Wonder how rough they play here. Bats and chains? Or Roomsweepers and Remingtons?

He looks around for loiterers who might have some insight into who claims the 'patch.

badneighbor

• Chummer
« Reply #8 on: <02-25-16/0956:45> »
Emeric suppresses a grin as Marianna excuses herself. He hadn’t expected her to lose her cool so easily, though he supposes she might be playing it up for effect. He hops out of his chair and raps a knuckle gently on the bathroom door.

“Nothing to worry about, darling. I’ll take care of it. Let me make some calls. I’ll see you tonight, okay?”

Without waiting for a response, he turns and heads out of her office, back to the gallery floor. He pulls his commlink out and taps a quick message to Officer Scrivens:

<<<Hey I know it’s outside your territory but I need info on gangs in Dogpatch area. Got word there might be some activity. Territory dispute, probably. Know anything? Know anyone who might? Worth your while…

And another, just in case, to that lowlife Micky:

<<<Hear anything about the gallery in the Dogpatch, “827 Tennesee”? If anyone plans on hitting it I need to know. Important. Hit me up

He slides the device back into the rear pocket of his white painter’s pants as he re-enters the gallery floor. Three paintings hung already, well-lit by subtle track lighting. Emeric lifts the fourth canvas, carefully climbs the short ladder, and hangs it on the last empty wallspace. He hops off the ladder, the sound of his tastefully-aged carpenter boots echo in the big gallery space, drawing the attention of the other artists for a moment. He steps back, viewing the display from a distance:

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Nodding in satisfaction, he glances briefly over at the others’ pieces. He’d planned on hanging around for a while to talk to the others about their work, but alas. His other work came first. He gathers his things, throws his jacket on, and makes his way outdoors.

Strolling down the sidewalk with his hands casually thrust into his coat pockets, he glances around for any signs of trouble. Should be easy enough to spot a ganger casing the place at this time of day, he thinks.

As he wanders, he looks around again, this time for anyone who spends a lot of time on the streets in this area, like street vendors and homeless, especially within a black from the gallery.
« Last Edit: <02-25-16/1013:56> by badneighbor »

rednblack

• Prime Runner
  • TECH-NO-LOGIC-KILL
« Reply #9 on: <02-25-16/1228:57> »
"Now finish up and go make some jing.  Leave a woman in peace."

"Alright, Strell, I get it, you got a short temper, and all that.  Thanks for the eats, chummer."

Uffington leaves the Magnolia Brewing Company, and heads back to his squat, a long-abandoned four-plex on the edge of Halferville.  He nods to Enrique, the Aztlaner dwarf who's busy picking his nose in the common area, and heads upstairs to his room, fighting with the mechanical lock to get his key to turn for a full minute before it twists around and lets him in.  First thing's first, he thinks, laying down on his bed and centering himself.  He closes his eyes, takes a deep breath in, and on the exhale he leaves his body, floating up and out of the squat, through the city streets, and over to the gallery.  It takes him awhile to find it, even knowing the city as well as he does.  There's so many conflicting emotions and reverberations in the Dogpatch.  The weight of poverty,the promise of future success, the mindless corp drones, the mindless SINless stragglers, the mindless entrepreneurs, the occasional new parent still in the afterglow of bringing a child into the wretched sixth world mess that is the California Free State.  Yeah, g'luck chummer, he wishes the stranger.

It's hard for Uffington to discern much of anything useful, and he returns to his meat body, his opening as if from a dream.  Should've popped a Psyche, he thinks.  I can always concentrate so much better with a little help.  It makes him feel weak in a way, that his own talents aren't enough to carry him through, but who's are anymore?  Who's were ever, really?  He returns downstairs to the kitchen, where all the squatters share their water from a re-purposed rainwater collection barrel, and grabs a cup before returning to his room.  He lays out some plastic sheeting, and dips his fingers in the cup, rubs the water down his face.  Then he uses his wet fingers to trace a brook, the horns of a stag, the body, a hill in the background.  Soundlessly, he reaches out into the astral.  The earth is our mother, her water our life blood.  Her oceans and streams an afterbirth still pulsing.  Spirit, heed my call.  I ask for assistance, for the powers of your sight.  Spirit, heed my call.  Spirit, come forth.

He pours the rest of his cup of water on the plastic sheet, washing away his picture, and from the puddle arises a spirit of water, a highly stylized fish with two heads and one body.  The process is taxing, giving Uffington a splitting headache that soon fades to a dull pain, but at least the spirit did indeed heed his call.

I will answer, the spirit says.  and offer you one service.  Choose it wisely.

Uffington thanks the spirit for appearing, and together the pair makes their way to the gallery.  Upon entering, he finds Marianna, who shows him to a room in the back.

"Feel free to use this area for anything you need to do.  You may want to talk with Expo, he's the younger of the two painters up front.  He may be able to help out with anything you're looking to do.  By the way, do you know a 'Knucks'?  He's supposed to come by soon as well."

"Can't say I've had the pleasure," Uffington says, lowering his duffel bag and retrieving his crossbow.  "Expo, he the one about yea tall?" Marianna nods. 

"Great, I'll get to it then.  Thank you."

Marianna leaves him to his devices, and Uffington begins to arrange his gear. He's already wearing his armored jacket, a straight off-the-shelf number that he's decorated in knotwork and sperethiel.  He takes his ballistic mask from the duffel bag, and shoves it into his pocket, and pops a Psyche for good measure.  Ah, that's better, he thinks even before the drug has begun to take effect.

Spirit, what should I call you? Uffington reaches out into the astral.

It is unimportant.  If you must, you may call me a bhaineann le Lir.

Wow, that's a mouthful.

Wiz, a bhaineann le Lir.  We have been tasked with defending this place.  Should anyone come with designs on sowing chaos here, I need you to befuddle their mind.  Can you do so?

I cannot promise results.  Only that I will attempt what you desire.

Good enough.  Thank you, a bhaineann le Lir.

Uffington lays down again, using his duffel bag as a pillow -- far from a unique experience for him -- and closes his meat eyes as he opens his mind to the astral.  Again, he leaves his body to examine his surroundings.  Confident that he's "seen" everything that there is to see, Uffington returns to his meat form, and goes to look for Expo.  The dwarf is no longer in the gallery, though, so he tries his luck outside, where he finds the dwarf on the sidewalk.  Before approaching, he takes a moment to assense the fellow.

"Hoi, chummer, Expo right?"

"Yeah, that's me," Expo answers.

"Name's Uffington.  Guess we're the security detail.  Supposed to be another one, Knucks I think.  You know him?

"Anyway, word is we may be in for a little gang tussle tonight.  This used to be solid Chulos territory, but I hear there's a new game in town, some group called the Technoids?  Ever heard of 'em?  Don't know much about it myself, but if something is going to go down tonight, my guess it's going to be the new kid against the class bully.  Scary thing about new guys, they always feel like they need to make an impression.  By the way, I guess I'm the mojo slinger.  What is it you do, besides paint I mean?"

Speech
Thought
Matrix/Comm
Astral
Subvocal

Zweiblumen

• Ace Runner
« Reply #10 on: <02-25-16/1421:02> »
@Expo
As you walk around the immediate vicinity, you notice that this block of Tennessee is much tidier than the rest of the area.  Its a lot more like over on 3rd by the Muni line.  There aren't any homeless in any of the doorways, and while the streets are exactly clean, there seems to be less refuse around here then over on Minnesota or Indiana. 
Up the block on Tennessee you see a couple of homeless folks huddled in doorways trying to stay out of the wind.  They are settling in for the evening with their blankets and bottles.
Occasionally you see a blue-collar ork or troll walking back from either the Muni or the docks down the street, their odd shift hours coming to an end.
One thing suspiciously missing right now are any gangers.  No one is pushing anything right now, it's almost like its some gang holiday or something.  The exception to this is an old beat up gopher that's cruising around the area with a rather thuggish looking ork behind the wheel.  It's early afternoon, so there's not a lot of foot or vehicular traffic, and there are no drones roaming around here.  Maybe in a year or two, but the corps haven't started investing in ernest, which means the SFPD could care less.

Zweiblumen

• Ace Runner
« Reply #11 on: <02-25-16/1522:15> »
@Uffington
You roll up your coat and use it as a pillow while you relax into the astral.  The psyche helping you focus as you move around the neighborhood you once again see the swirl of the the emotional peaks and valleys of the area.  The promise of new investment and better opportunities for some (wether those are real or imagined is another story) while the pain and depravity of others swirl in the mix.  Overall the area appears to be as hopeful as derelict barrens neighborhood can.  The fear of murder and theft mix with the bliss of hope and love to create an amalgam of clashing emotions through out the area.  This leaves you somewhat confused as to the overall state of the neighborhood despite your heightened concentration.

Frustrated as you return to your body, you find Expo outside looking around the area.  Here the psyche is obviously helping, his aura is laid out for you to read as if it were an instruction manual.  The dwarf is in good health, and his data jack leaves such a distinct silhouette that it's unmistakeable.  More subtle are the manipulations that have been made to his sweat glands allowing him to tailor the subtle emotional hints that help him influence others.  His Essence is ever so slightly impacted.  You can tell that these two modifications are the only thing that's reduced it.  And finally you can tell that he is not magically active nor a technomancer.

badneighbor

• Chummer
« Reply #12 on: <02-25-16/1754:45> »
Expo is standing on the sidewalk when the elf approaches, looking out casually over the street. His hands are pushed deep into his coat pockets, and he rocks back on his heels as he chews his inner cheek in thought.

When Uffington assenses him, he picks up on curiosity and amusement above all else. He seems to be getting a kick out of whatever he’s doing. Beneath that, there’s some tension. Worry, or concern, which probably seem more normal where potential gang wars are involved.

"Hoi, chummer, Expo right?"

"Yeah, that's me," Expo answers.

"Name's Uffington.  Guess we're the security detail.  Supposed to be another one, Knucks I think.  You know him?

“Can’t say I do, no.” He looks up at Uffington and offers an apologetic shrug. As the elf speaks, he returns his gaze to the street, listening and incorporating the new intel while scanning for any details he may have missed before.

"Anyway, word is we may be in for a little gang tussle tonight.  This used to be solid Chulos territory, but I hear there's a new game in town, some group called the Technoids?  Ever heard of 'em?  Don't know much about it myself, but if something is going to go down tonight, my guess it's going to be the new kid against the class bully.  Scary thing about new guys, they always feel like they need to make an impression.  By the way, I guess I'm the mojo slinger.  What is it you do, besides paint I mean?"

After Uffington finishes, there is a brief silence. Expo considers, then points out a mess of graffiti on the side of a building across the way.

”Explains that mess, huh? Seems like some competing gang markers there. Look to you like Chulos or...what’d you say they were? Technoids?”

He takes the commlink out of his pocket and checks it. No response from Scrivens or Micky. He sends another message to the cop: <<<looks like Chulos and Technoids. Ring any bells?

Tucking the ‘link away again, he returns his full attention to Uffington with a friendly smile.

“Sorry, chummer, I’m being rude. Just trying to get the lay of the land, you know? To answer your question, I’m more of a talker than a fighter. For instance, I’m gonna go talk to those urchins down there. See if they’ve seen anything useful.”

He juts his bearded chin in the direction of the homeless people down the street, huddled in some doorways.

“‘Course, you’re welcome to join. Or if you prefer, you can keep an eye out for that shady ork who’s driven past one too many times in an old pickup. Seen him? Sure looks like he could be from one of the gangs.”

He starts down the street, but turns to speak to the elf again:

“Oh, and don’t worry. If schmoozing doesn’t work, I can always bring out the Big Guns.”

Ever so subtly, he pulls his right hand from his coat pocket just enough to reveal the Streetline Special nestled in his palm.
« Last Edit: <02-25-16/1940:23> by badneighbor »

rednblack

• Prime Runner
  • TECH-NO-LOGIC-KILL
« Reply #13 on: <02-25-16/1932:52> »
When Uffington assenses him, he picks up on curiosity and amusement above all else. He seems to be getting a kick out of whatever he’s doing. Beneath that, there’s some tension. Worry, or concern, which probably seem more normal where potential gang wars are involved.

I like this hoop already, Uffington thinks as he approaches.  A little cyber, relaxed and enjoying the day, but sane enough to be scared.  Hell, we should all be so lucky.

”Explains that mess, huh? Seems like some competing gang markers there. Look to you like Chulos or...what’d you say they were? Technoids?”

"Yeah, that's what I said, but. . ." Uffington trails off as he examines the graffiti.  "I mean, that might be a 'T' right?  Brigid, this is a mess.  Strange right now though, innit?  I mean, the streets are downright cleared almost.  Sum'n about that seems weird to me."

When the dwarf pulls out his link, Uffington notes a little self-consciously how much nicer it is than his own, and then takes an opportunity  to look at the graffiti a little more closely.  Tag on top of tag, and a lot of it looks fresh.  Yes, very strange that the streets are so calm.  Wonder if this thing tonight is a planned "rumble," and they're spending their day preparing.  That drek wouldn't fly in Puyallup, but it's a different world out here.

When Expo apologizes as he puts his link away, he catches Uffington off-guard, as he's been lost in thought.

“‘Course, you’re welcome to join. Or if you prefer, you can keep an eye out for that shady ork who’s driven past one too many times in an old pickup. Seen him? Sure looks like he could be from one of the gangs.”

"Just now that you're mentioning him, yeah.  Looks like a ganger to me.  And sure, I'll come with."

Uffington follows a few steps behind Expo.  Better to follow his lead, he figures. 
Speech
Thought
Matrix/Comm
Astral
Subvocal

Zweiblumen

• Ace Runner
« Reply #14 on: <02-26-16/1240:57> »
@Knucks
As you cruise the neighborhood, things seem unusually quiet.  Boise's Barrens stretch for much further than they do here in the Bay Area.  Especially in Downtown where the geography is so compressed by the ocean and the bay.  You can see the gleaming towers of the archologies maybe a dozen blocks away, and another dozen blocks south things are as desperate as they are anywhere.  Here, on the edge, things feel even more compressed.  The block that the gallery is on could be out of the lower end of a good neighborhood, but one block over and the gang signs are everywhere.  One thing you notice about the whole place though is how quiet it is.  Normally there'd be someone pushing BTLs or drugs on most of these corners, or corp-drones shopping at the boutiques that have opened up here, but there's neither.  You see a couple of blue-collar workers headed either home or down to the docks, the occasional homeless meta tucked into a doorway.  But it's definitely quieter than you'd expect even for mid-afternoon.  The only exceptional thing you notice as you drive around is a dwarf that seems to be looking for something around here.  He's dressed in decent clothes, definitely not a ganger or one of the homeless around here.  As you park Pepe a little bit down the street from the gallery you see the dwarf talking with an elf that's got odd blue tattoos on his face and is dressed on the rattier side.