NEWS

[SDS IC] Tri Tri Again

• 336 Replies

skulldixon

• Chummer
« Reply #30 on: <11-11-15/0302:45> »
Kumiho shares glances with everyone else around the table at the new comers, Early Bird's, lack of etiquette. If he had a tendency to blurt out anything and everything that came to mind -  this might lead to difficulties for the job and everyone's safety. He might be fresh to the scene and still have his Trainee badge on. Its probably best to chance the subject, Kumiho thought to himself, the we can see how this pans out during the real meet. Now what to talk about....

I was just reading earlier today that the Seattle Museum of Art will be hosting a collection of the works by Manuel Torres, thanks to the Draco Foundation. Manuel Torres' paintings tend to be symbolic portrayal of the struggles of a worker in a modern, capitalistic world. The style is very similar to the 20th century painter and muralist Diego Rivera. His painting s are very shape based but captures something that calls back to their shared heritage.

[spoiler]
Etiquette.: 4d6t5 3
[/spoiler]
"speaking out loud"
<<matrix actions/communication>>
Text and thought

trv123

• Chummer
« Reply #31 on: <11-11-15/0646:00> »
Calico turns back to her menu as Earlybird pointedly and somewhat stiffly fails to respond to her jibe. *Seems he's managed to be offended by my friendly ribbing* she thought a bit sadly. *It's a shame, it could've been a nice bonding moment. Oh well ... I'm sure there will be others.*

As Tanya offers her warning about the spiciness of the food, Calico's eyes light up. "Oh, I love spicy foods!" she exclaims energetically. "The hotter, the better!" Although ... upon reflection she wasn't 100% sure that this was literally true, so she decided to play it safe, ordering a dish that was only moderately spicy.

Then, as the young asian man (*What's his area of expertise, I wonder?*) began to speak about the upcoming art exhibit, and more specifically its subject matter, Calico found herself chiming in once more, partly to fill the "smalltalk" void, but also because it genuinely interested her. "You know, I'm not really an art chick, but I have to say that if there ever was a subject that could really draw me in, that sounds like it."
« Last Edit: <11-11-15/0917:43> by trv123 »
"Speech" *Thought* <Text> ~Astral~

Poindexter

• Prime Runner
  • If you lack empathy, you are worthless.
« Reply #32 on: <11-11-15/0932:02> »
"No.  I am just part of the help, I am afraid.  I have been here a few times to eat, though."

"Well then," with a nod of the head, and respectful furrow of the brow. "Nice to meetcha."

Dang! How she afford to eat here on runner pay? Does this Johnson pay gloks like that?! I might be outta debt sooner than I thought.
"speaking out loud"
thought
astral
subvocal/whispering
non-english

Mercy Merchant

• Prime Runner
« Reply #33 on: <11-11-15/0958:17> »
Tanya nods at Kumiho and then at Calico and the enthusiasm in her English accented voice is obvious as she responds.  "I received the eflier about that exhibit yesterday and was thinking of going.  If you are attending, would you like some company?  I do not know much about Manuel Torres, but the British Museum has some wonderful examples of Diego Rivera's murals on display.  If Torres is even close to being as good it will be worth seeing.  The flier mentioned a fund raiser for the museum in conjunction with the exhibit."  She turns to the girl, "Would you be interested, Calico?  I find the world of art to be fascinating and we could try to bring out your inner "art chick".  It might be fun."  Looking about the room, she adds, "Anyone else interested?"
"Speech"  *Thought*  <Matrix>

trv123

• Chummer
« Reply #34 on: <11-11-15/1024:50> »
"I personally would love to go and check that out, but I suppose it would depend on what other ..." Calico pauses momentarily, shifting her gaze meaningfully to Ni Ni, "obligations ... we have."

Stoneglobe

• Omae
  • Drug Addled Console Cowboy
« Reply #35 on: <11-11-15/1113:34> »
I give the Asian male a slight nod to applaud his skill at guiding the conversation away from the newest arrival before he could make any further faux pars and looking at Tanya "An afternoon or evening visiting the museum would indeed be a lovely distraction once we have put aside any more pressing business matters that need attending to, though I'm not sure that anyone would be able to truly appreciate the beauty of the exhibit whilst accompanying either yourself, Ms Marisart, or your friend, Ms Calico, let alone both of you." I give a wry smile before continuing, "Unfortunately I'm afraid that I would prove too dull a companion for such an outing, my knowledge of art doesn't extend much beyond 'Dogs Playing Pool'."

I start to lean back in my chair before realising that I've yet to introduce myself and lean forward slightly, "Oh, and please forgive my thoughtlessness at forgetting to introduce myself, I'm Chance, John Chance."
« Last Edit: <11-11-15/1135:21> by Stoneglobe »
´Wonderful´, the Flatline said,´I never did like to do anything simple when I could do it ass-backwards.´ - William Gibson, Neuromancer
“Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes.” - William Gibson

trv123

• Chummer
« Reply #36 on: <11-11-15/1216:29> »
"Well, aren't you the charmer?" Calico says to John Chance with a wry, but not unappreciative smile. "I can see I'll need to keep an eye on you. I'm Calico."

"But anyway, you HAVE to come, I need someone there who knows less about art than I do."
she laughed. "Actually, I'd be happy to have anyone joining us." she said, her eyes wandering across the gathered faces. Her gaze lingered for just a moment on Earlybird, her expression conveying an unspoken olive branch.
« Last Edit: <11-11-15/1219:00> by trv123 »

Jayde Moon

• Administrator
  • Ace Runner
  • Shadowrun Missions Developer
« Reply #37 on: <11-11-15/1334:08> »
Ni Ni watches the conversation around her and when it turns to art, she nods, taking the pause in the conversation after Calico's question to speak.

"Actually, it is on the subject of... 'art'... that I have called this meeting."

She waits a moment until the attention is drawn back to her.

"Many people do not know, but there is a Taoist temple in Tacoma, just over a mile south of the industrial docks.  It is... home to several precious artifacts and artwork that has great meaning to the Chinese and the Taoists who visit the temple.  It is also... a neutral ground for the Triad, belonging to no single Lodge Master.  As part of the neutrality pact, each of us takes a turn managing the security of the temple and currently that security is provided by the Octagon."

She sits back as Baozhai takes a moment to refill her tea, nodding a polite thanks and returning to her tale.

"As you can imagine, if something were to happen at the temple, the sitting clan would lose face, not only with the clans here in Seattle but with the associations in China.  Unfortunately, just such a thing has happened.  Last night, the temple was breached and several priceless artifacts were taken.  Unless these artifacts are recovered, the Octagon will lose much face.  Also, the blow to the temple itself is an insult to ancient culture and beliefs.

"Therefore, I am offering you all eight thousand nuyen... a piece... to recover the artifacts.  I am also willing to offer," at this moment, her expression hardens and there is the impression of an amoral and destructive predator, "for those of you who may be inclined to such things, a bonus if the thieves are... taught the error of their ways."

With that, silence falls over the table as she settles to allow the group to consider her words.
That's just like... your opinion, man.

skulldixon

• Chummer
« Reply #38 on: <11-11-15/1401:55> »
Kumiho relaxes more. An Art thief of priceless and ancient pieces was something we was willing to work with the triad on. He nods.

I for one would be interested in helping retrieve such priceless relics; however, I feel I must express my concern that 8,00 might be a low for mission where we will be maneuvering through dangerous waters, particularly for those of us who have very little knowledge on how things are done in the triad - so that no toes are stepped on.
« Last Edit: <11-11-15/1407:56> by skulldixon »
"speaking out loud"
Text and thought

trv123

• Chummer
« Reply #39 on: <11-11-15/1422:45> »
Nodding at Kumiho, Calico chimes in. "I tend to agree, but ... what can you tell us about the artifacts themselves? Were they probably stolen just to resell, or do they have, like ... magical properties or something that might make someone want to keep them?

Also, what's the political situation with the Triads right now? Is there someone in particular who might want to make them look bad?"
« Last Edit: <11-11-15/1432:31> by trv123 »

Jayde Moon

• Administrator
  • Ace Runner
  • Shadowrun Missions Developer
« Reply #40 on: <11-11-15/1444:27> »
The woman frowns slightly before speaking, "I am unused to answering such questions for those who are not yet under my employ."
That's just like... your opinion, man.

Stoneglobe

• Omae
  • Drug Addled Console Cowboy
« Reply #41 on: <11-11-15/1517:01> »
Madame Butterfly was right. Whilst I was sure the food would be amazing it wasn't a delicious as the irony of this job offer.

"Ms Johnson, please do excuse my more enthusiastic colleague, I'm sure she just meant to indicate her willingness to participate in the case. Obviously such detailed discussions should not take place until a contract has been agreed. Let us keep our discussions limited to that matter for time being. Given the sensitive, and obviously private, nature of the matter at hand I would assume that you are looking for those who truly appreciate, as well as put a premium, on discretion. Interactions with outside parties will, of course, need to be kept to a minimum and where that is not possible obfuscation should be employed to ensure your privacy is maintained. Along with that my esteemed colleague," with that I nod towards the Asian male who had first responded, is not wrong. The waters we will be swimming in are most assuredly dangerous. Anyone willing to risk the wrath of possibly all the organisations who worship at the temple should not be taken lightly. With all of that in mind I do feel that the reward on offer for those who choose to accept the case is, upon reflection, a little on the light side."

Pausing, I take the time  to take in the expressions of those around the table, trying to evaluate their individual reactions to the proposed job, and wait for Ms Johnson to respond.

« Last Edit: <11-11-15/1550:28> by Stoneglobe »
´Wonderful´, the Flatline said,´I never did like to do anything simple when I could do it ass-backwards.´ - William Gibson, Neuromancer
“Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes.” - William Gibson

Señor T

• Newb
« Reply #42 on: <11-11-15/1659:51> »
Well, this had gotten interesting fast. Merc pay was good, but 8k wasn't nothin' to sneeze at either. He had no clue what the going rate was, but he could sure use the money. He'd take the job, but judging from the fact that they'd already let them all in on the secret... and that at least some of the team was apparently known in local circles, it wasn't likely they'd off them all rather than just paying everyone a couple thousand more. Sure seemed like they could afford it judging from this place.

Cal kept his face impassive. "A little low for my taste as well. Whatever the rate, I'd like to see it the same for all of us."
Thought   "Speech"   <<Matrix>>   Astral

trv123

• Chummer
« Reply #43 on: <11-11-15/1731:34> »
"I understand your hesitance to share details before we've agreed to take the job," Calico gently objected, "but to ask us to commit ourselves before knowing the details, before really knowing what we're getting ourselves into ... seems to me that should bring a premium."

Poindexter

• Prime Runner
  • If you lack empathy, you are worthless.
« Reply #44 on: <11-11-15/2008:37> »
Counter-thievery, he thinks with a smile and a nod. Never been hired on for one a these before. Sounds good.

When he hears the figure of 8,000, he has to fight to keep his jaw from dropping. I could make this month's payment AND take off some of the principle! Earlybird knows enough about negotiations to know that he's no good at it. He keeps his mouth tightly shut during the price talk. All I gotta do is give a solid performance on this one... get a few more big payin runs from this Triad dame, and I'll have that frakkin bird payed off in no time!

Seeing that no one else is going to bring it up though, he eventually clears his throat a bit and asks, "How much upfront for expenses?"
« Last Edit: <11-11-15/2104:17> by Poindexter »
"speaking out loud"
thought
astral
subvocal/whispering
non-english