NEWS

Licences

• 15 Replies

Sonarean

• Newb
« on: <09-08-10/2106:39> »
I have a SINner PC and we want to know if there's any way to get actual licences for some of his gear.  The book presents rules for fake licences keyed to a fake SIN, but none for legitimate ones that I could find.

My current inclination is to charge 300 for a legal licence tied to a legal SIN.  What do other people think?  Should I even bother and just assume the SIN comes with the licences the character needs what with it being a 5BP negative quality?

Walks Through Walls

• Ace Runner
« Reply #1 on: <09-08-10/2126:40> »
Unless your SIN has a legal and legitimate reason to have a license it would have to be a fake license hooked to your real SIN. The major drawback to this is if your license gets burned it will flag your real SIN and Johnny law or Corp goons will come looking for you.

This is one of the good things about a fake SIN is if it gets burnt you toss it mutter appropriate oaths and move on. Hopefully one step before johnny law or goons showing up on your doorstep.

If your SIN is the criminal type then when I GM getting a legal license for forbidden and even a lot of restricted stuff is impossible. You're a felon and lost those rights
"Walking through walls isn't tough..... if you know where the doors are."
"It's not being seen that is the trick."

Walks Through Walls

Wayfinder

• Newb
  • fraggin fragged frag
« Reply #2 on: <09-08-10/2128:45> »
I charge em 100 if they want a real license because really it's the same as registering a gun these days. Only problem is that anything licensed is also tracked by law enforcement. Use that nifty legal handgun in a crime(eg shadowrun) and guess what uniformed individuals will be knockin at your door.

Walks Through Walls

• Ace Runner
« Reply #3 on: <09-08-10/2135:49> »
Also to legally license most cyberware  the RFID tag would have to be intact and functional. Again if it's seen at the scene they are going to come knocking to ask the tough questions.

Though this does add a whole new dimension to the more stealth is better school of thought
"Walking through walls isn't tough..... if you know where the doors are."
"It's not being seen that is the trick."

Walks Through Walls

Turtletron

• Chummer
« Reply #4 on: <09-08-10/2226:13> »
I usually prefer to buy fake licenses linked to a fake SIN, it's much less complicated to deal with in case you need to throw it away.
(>) ...and I would have made it too, except for those nosey kids & their stupid dog...
(>) excerpt of The Smiling Bandit's taped deposition, Knight Errant casefile #E385h-0516

Casazil

• Omae
  • There can be only one!
« Reply #5 on: <09-09-10/0159:15> »
A legal sin works for the RP side of things but logic says get a fake one for your guy too an thus a fake licence for things it's just better
"If at first you don't succeed blame someone else"
Joel "Casazil" Rogers
Catalyst Demo Team Shadowrun Special Agent #251
http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/CasazilsShadowrun/

John Schmidt

• Omae
« Reply #6 on: <09-09-10/0347:58> »
I came up with a set of rules that covered buying and creating fake IDs/licenses. Unfortunately I submitted them just a few months prior to the close of Fasa and Mike was unable to find them a home in any product. Would have to go back through them and see if they need to be tweaked for 4th but I could throw them up on my SR webpage...once the web page is done.  :-[

Don't know if they would pass the sniff test but they would be free.  ;D
It's not the one with your name on it; it's the one addressed "to whom it may concern" you've got to think about.

Switch

• Newb
« Reply #7 on: <09-09-10/0648:39> »
We tend to allow the player to have the legal liscenses as long as they have a reason in their history that they would have them. If they wanna use that to get free licenses so be it but they'll have much more trouble when the law are knocking on their door.

XxswitchxX

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #8 on: <09-09-10/0942:57> »
I'm with Wayfinder. Charge them 100¥, since it's a legal license. But try not to ever use it. Think of forensics now. I figure that by 2072, every licensed gun will have it's ballistics on record with Knight Errant/Lone Star.

John Schmidt

• Omae
« Reply #9 on: <09-09-10/1006:25> »
I am going to respectfully disagree with Fastjack...in part.

Every legally sold firearm would probably have ballistics registered, along with shell casing marks (firing pin and extractor indentations). However, a technically minded individual with a CnC machine or one of those desktop nano forges with the schematics for lets say a Ruger Thunderhawk would be able to produce that weapon and even put a fake serial number on the pistol. Of course, you still have to worry about your gunsmith getting busted and offering you up for a reduced sentence. Nothing is perfect some are simply better than others.

Ammunition can be handled in much the same manner allowing you to bypass micro stamping on the projectile and the casing...right up to the point where you get to the gun powder. Tagnents are already common place in explosives and I expect the same to be true for gun powder within the next ten years time. Not really sure how to get around this one.

The idea is that you want a clean firearm that you can toss after using. The longer you keep that weapon and use it, the more crimes it ties you too. Steal a registered firearm? Ties you to the original theft. The cops start back tracking and see if they can match a vehicle or picture of you to traffic cams, ATMs, or security cams in the area prior to, during and shortly after the theft.
It's not the one with your name on it; it's the one addressed "to whom it may concern" you've got to think about.

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #10 on: <09-09-10/1015:09> »
Ya, those nanoforges would be super handy for making untraceable anythings.  Probably why it's so hard to get specs for stuff outta the corps (besides the whole "intrusion upon the bottom line" thing).
There is no overkill.

Only "Open fire" and "I need to reload."

John Schmidt

• Omae
« Reply #11 on: <09-09-10/1017:43> »
Might lead to a Shadowrun or something.  ;D

A 3D laser scanner could allow you to reverse engineer it. At the very least get a barrel/slide/bolt/firing pin.  ;D

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #12 on: <09-09-10/1112:38> »
I am going to respectfully disagree with Fastjack...in part.

Every legally sold firearm would probably have ballistics registered, along with shell casing marks (firing pin and extractor indentations). However, a technically minded individual with a CnC machine or one of those desktop nano forges with the schematics for lets say a Ruger Thunderhawk would be able to produce that weapon and even put a fake serial number on the pistol. Of course, you still have to worry about your gunsmith getting busted and offering you up for a reduced sentence. Nothing is perfect some are simply better than others.

Ammunition can be handled in much the same manner allowing you to bypass micro stamping on the projectile and the casing...right up to the point where you get to the gun powder. Tagnents are already common place in explosives and I expect the same to be true for gun powder within the next ten years time. Not really sure how to get around this one.

The idea is that you want a clean firearm that you can toss after using. The longer you keep that weapon and use it, the more crimes it ties you too. Steal a registered firearm? Ties you to the original theft. The cops start back tracking and see if they can match a vehicle or picture of you to traffic cams, ATMs, or security cams in the area prior to, during and shortly after the theft.
I agree with you, but the OP was posting about getting a legal license attached to his legal SIN. If he gets a license for the weapon a legit way, then the government will probably require a ballistics profile of the gun in the hyper-paranoid 2072 world.

Doc Chaos

• Omae
  • Bavarian Mr. Johnson
« Reply #13 on: <09-09-10/1117:44> »
I have a SINner PC and we want to know if there's any way to get actual licences for some of his gear.  The book presents rules for fake licences keyed to a fake SIN, but none for legitimate ones that I could find.

My current inclination is to charge 300 for a legal licence tied to a legal SIN.  What do other people think?  Should I even bother and just assume the SIN comes with the licences the character needs what with it being a 5BP negative quality?

If it fits the story and (more importantly) the job of the PC, I usually charge something between 50 and 500 euros for a licence. Forbidden equipment may be licenced, again depending on the job (MET2000 soldiers for example may of course carry a licence for assault rifles - while they are on duty)
SR4A Limited Edition [german] - 0478/1100

Mystic

• Freelancer
  • Omae
  • Word Mercenary
« Reply #14 on: <09-09-10/1734:59> »
Just my .0025 nuyen for thought.

Licenses may be a necessary evil depending on your (current) identity. In regards of legality, a license can actually SAVE your hoop. Have to geek that ganger who wanted to turn you into roadkill with that nice new Ares Pred IV? Oh look, Officer, I am a licensed security subcontractor and I was defending myself against this street scum...honest I was. Yeah, it will go into the system but better to be alive to worry about it later.

Just make sure the cover and your story works. Also having contacts to help it stick never hurts. It amazes me how many chumms of mine never even bother to think of having say, an alibi?
Bringing chaos, mayhem, and occasionally cookies to the Sixth World since 2052!

"Just because it's easy for you doesn't mean it can't be hard on your clients"-Rule 38, The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries, Schlock Mercenary.