NEWS

William Gibson book tour

• 19 Replies

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #15 on: <09-09-10/1025:16> »
Ugh.  My friends OD'd on Jagermeister (I don't want to look for the funky dots that go above that "a") so now none of us can drink it, or even smell it, without getting ill.
There is no overkill.

Only "Open fire" and "I need to reload."

Doc Chaos

• Omae
  • Bavarian Mr. Johnson
« Reply #16 on: <09-09-10/1050:33> »
Yeah, that's a common end of stories involving Jägermeister...
SR4A Limited Edition [german] - 0478/1100

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #17 on: <09-09-10/1115:11> »
Yeah, that's a common end of stories involving Jägermeister...
... unless you're part of a Heavy Metal band.

PeterSmith

• Ace Runner
« Reply #18 on: <09-09-10/1204:25> »
He's going to be at Powell's in Portland today around 7pm.  (Was in Seattle yesterday, btw.  Anyone stop by and see him?)

Chicago's on the stop. Considering the crowd that was on hand when Jim Butcher showed up I plan on staying as far from that Borders as I can. Which is tough, considering it's only a few blocks from my office.

Yeah? Well... I-I-I got Michael Stackpole to sign Wolf & Raven!

I was his handler for a weekend when he came out to a convention in Chicago's 'burbs. ^_^
Power corrupts.
Absolute power is kinda neat.

"Peter Smith has the deadest of deadpans and a very sly smile, making talking to him a fun game of keeping up and slinging the next subtle zinger." - Jason M. Hardy, 3 August 2015

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #19 on: <09-10-10/1410:36> »
I thoroughly enjoy many of Stackpole's Battletech novels.  Even with their rather bizarre fetish for insisting that lasers capable of burning through tanks transfer kilojoules of energy.  I mean, seriously, if kilojoules were that bad then the surface of the Earth would be molten; one square meter of the Earth's surface absorbs one kilojoule of solar radiation per SECOND.

Granted, if you focused it onto a square millimeter and dumped it in a millisecond that would generate more oomph.  But still, one ton of TNT generates about 4 gigajoules (billions), 2 pounds of TNT generates ~4 megajoules (millions), so 3.2 ounces of TNT would generate ~4 kilojoules (thousands).  That's nasty, but hardly the kind of thing that blows up tanks.

Now, dozens or hundreds of kilojoules...that would be exciting.

Interesting sidebar:  TNT has about 4.6 megajoules per kilogram, but gasoline (when you have an oxidant in there giving it the O2 it needs) has 47.2 megajoules per kilogram.  So now you know.
There is no overkill.

Only "Open fire" and "I need to reload."