• Ace Runner
« on: <04-28-15/0747:57> »
Now available on Steam, Amazon and direct from Ciffhanger ;D

« Last Edit: <04-29-15/0859:04> by AJCarrington »

Jamelfr

• Chummer
  • Nerps for beer. Nerps for president.
« Reply #1 on: <04-28-15/2037:02> »
The question was not really answered before (http://forums.shadowruntabletop.com/index.php?topic=19779.0) so I will ask it again here, especially since the game have changed its name since the previous thread...

Is that game enjoyable solo? It says it is a co-op game, but I do not really know what that actualy mean in the game...

Jamelfr

• Chummer
« Reply #2 on: <04-28-15/2052:17> »
Well, I may have find some infos... Got that quote on a thread on the Steam game forum :

"You never need to group with another player, and you'll never see other players on missions unless you choose to group with them. You'll only see other players in the Hub between missions. You can use NPC Runners to fill out your group.

I play the game Single Player myself. I prefer taking my time to enjoy the story, etc."

It also says that you must be online to play, even when in solo mode. I do not mind, but it might be important to other people.

Still, if anyone has thoughts on that game in solo mode, do not hesitate. It is just a tad more expensive when compared to the games I usually buy, so I prefer to be sure hehe. :)

AJCarrington

• Global Moderator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #3 on: <04-28-15/2124:08> »
Haven't participated in any of the early releases and computer is now locked away in storage till mid-June...won't get to this for 6 weeks at least :( Hopefully others can chime in to answer your question.

Pixie

« Reply #4 on: <04-28-15/2309:14> »
Day one has had some issues with lag.  But other than that, the game is quite enjoyable.  I played it way back when it was just entering Beta phase, and the models, effects, and mechanics were nowhere near as polished as they are now.  This will never be a replacement for tabletop in my book, but it's a well-voiced and well-designed story if nothing else.  I haven't played with anyone else yet, mostly due to the lag issues.  I'm expecting these issues will dissipate with some patching, which will likely be a couple weeks for full resolution.

I will say this - I have a decker, and he's awesome in his own right.  However, it's weird that you don't need a decker to hack things.  The "hacking" skill is really more of a general electronics skill.  So one could reasonably make a mage with hacking and be just as good at hacking as a decker with hacking.  So really it boils down to weapon type that you use.

Decks give a lot of debilitating abilities and attacks, and often don't require line of sight.
Talismans (spellcasting) can hit whole areas and unleash an absurd amount of punishment.
Guns are standbys that everyone should have at least some skill with.
Summons are pretty cute if nothing else.  The only summoner I used in my game had the ability to summon this little bear that healed itself whenever it attacked, making it a pretty useful tank.
I haven't had a chance to try out the rigger consoles yet, or explore their tree.

All in all, it's never going to replace tabletop for the "true" experience, but it's a damn sight better than I would have predicted in Beta.  They went through the polish phase a lot better than most games I've tested.

Jamelfr

• Chummer
« Reply #5 on: <04-28-15/2318:30> »
@ AJ Carrington : Thanks for the reply. Btw, the game is at a discount of 25% until 5th may, so if you have any intention to buy it soon... ;)

@Pixie : Thanks for the summary about the different classes and weapons, it helps to have a nice overview of the gameplay and classes choice. You seem to have a pretty positive experience with it, so it is nice to read, especially coming from a tabletop gamer.

The reviews online seems pretty similar : fair gameplay, more emphase on battles than story (not a Dragonfall-like story), solo is entirely possible but co-op has more interactions and is a little easier (that was to be expected)... Seems not like a Game of the Year contender at all, but a fair game overall...

I think i might buy it finally.

It also might be a good occasion to have some members of the forum sharing a couple of online sessions on this game, who know.  :)

Oh, Pixie, how is the music? It was pretty awesome and well used in Shadowrun Returns and Dragonfall and that is important for my gaming enjoyment. :) 
« Last Edit: <04-28-15/2323:38> by Jamelfr »

Pixie

« Reply #6 on: <04-29-15/0205:34> »
I noticed some of the music was borrowed and tweaked from Shadowrun Returns.  But overall, it's unique and very appropriate.  Oh, and one thing that really makes things interesting is the explosive effect of things.  When you miss, it does damage to the surrounding environment.  I don't think there'd ever be enough damage to make a strategic effect, so I think the effect is primarily visceral.  But man, is it ever visceral.  AoE spells blow all the glass out of cars, walls can be destroyed, etc.

If I had to find a comparison to something else, I'd say that Chronicles is most like Final Fantasy Tactics, crossbred with X-COM (the new tactical one), and then wrapped in a warm blanket of cyberpunk dystopia.  And online.

AJCarrington

• Global Moderator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #7 on: <04-29-15/0854:02> »
Some nice picts from the CGL Tumblr:

Jamelfr

• Chummer
« Reply #8 on: <04-29-15/1900:42> »
Nice images. There are also some videos of gameplay on youtube.

I bought the game finally. Pixiex's comments and the reviews online convinced me. My expectations are at the appropriate level (i.e. not Dragonfall level lol), so I think I'll enjoy the game. :)

ScytheKnight

• Ace Runner
« Reply #9 on: <04-29-15/2005:21> »
Looks kinda interesting... seeing if I can get some of my players interested in it as well for another dose of ShadowRun.
From To<<Matrix message>>
"Speech"
Thoughts
Astral
Mentor

Jamelfr

• Chummer
« Reply #10 on: <04-30-15/0012:09> »
Just finished the first mission (the one after the prologue). Interesting and I will keep playing. The explosion are nice and effective, you were right Pixie. I am playing a human mage/gunslinger, I've picked a slot in lockpicking, we'll see how useful it will be.

Only minor problem is that it's my first ever MMO/co-op game (newbie, i know) and I am kinda lost about how to act with other people lol. I've said hello and that's it. I guess I'll do the next mission ("Picking up clues") only with NPC and I will try to get other players after that.

Pixie

« Reply #11 on: <04-30-15/0143:20> »
I wouldn't worry too much about the interaction thing, Jamel.  Like any online activity, your level of interactivity should only be what you feel comfortable with.  If you want to reach out and meet new people, go for it.  But no one will think badly of you if you don't feel like interacting heavily.  Just enjoy the game.  :)

Jamelfr

• Chummer
« Reply #12 on: <05-01-15/0102:17> »
I wouldn't worry too much about the interaction thing, Jamel.  Like any online activity, your level of interactivity should only be what you feel comfortable with.  If you want to reach out and meet new people, go for it.  But no one will think badly of you if you don't feel like interacting heavily.  Just enjoy the game.  :)

Thanks for the advice. I tend to play at my own pace, taking the time to get a feel for the graphic (this is cyberpunk after all, might as well look at how it is pictured), the atmosphere, the opponents. So yeah, my interactions will probably be at a minimum, unless i find a friend from this forum to play an earlier mission for example.

Now if only i could wear a leather trenchcoat with pants on, it would be awesome (yeah, what a strange bug lol).

Novocrane

• Ace Runner
« Reply #13 on: <05-01-15/0400:51> »
Is that game enjoyable solo? It says it is a co-op game, but I do not really know what that actualy mean in the game...
I've played a few missions, and haven't needed to team up with anyone other than NPCs yet. It's not as polished as SR:R, but it may be your disposable container of soykaf until / after Hong Kong.
« Last Edit: <05-01-15/0410:22> by Novocrane »

Jamelfr

• Chummer
« Reply #14 on: <05-01-15/2007:54> »
I've played a few missions, and haven't needed to team up with anyone other than NPCs yet. It's not as polished as SR:R, but it may be your disposable container of soykaf until / after Hong Kong.

Indeed, solo is a good experience. Maybe Co-op is appreciated because of the interaction between the players, since there are less character development than in other game (SR Returns and Dragonfall).

"Not as polished as SR:R" is an excellent way to describe the game. I settled my expectations not too high, I know it was not the next SR:R and I quite like the game  for what it is.  It also shows great promises imho, let's hope the developpers will be able to produce all the updates and new mission they want to.