• Bavarian Mr. Johnson
« Reply #30 on: <09-08-10/0819:14> »
Somehow, I doubt that...
SR4A Limited Edition [german] - 0478/1100

Jonny Reload

• Newb
  • The guns go PEW PEW PEW!
« Reply #31 on: <09-08-10/0910:17> »
Considering there are real pistols that use clips, i wouldn't be so sure ;)
Maybe for some bizarre reason noone ever invented a removable magazines in SR world ::)

See, with the Agility rules in place stating how many rounds you can load per Complex Action, I could actually see that slipping into the storyline!  :D
"Do you hear that Mr. Anderson? That is the sound of inevitability... That is the sound of your death."
-Agent Smith from The Matrix

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #32 on: <09-08-10/1010:18> »
Y'know for a issue that's 'not that big a deal', 31 replies in 7 hours is pretty impressive.

Two things (as someone that has seen many strange behaviors/ideas from working in corporate America and also with marketing reps):

1)  You fail to take into account that the average gamer has no idea of the difference between a magazine or a clip. Or cares that there's a difference. Neither terms are used in great degree, even in movies where guns are prevalent. Most of the time, they simply say "I'm out!" when talking ammo. (If they are shooting 15 rounds without loading a revolver.)

2)  Words cost money. Magazine is twice the length of clip. Might not seem like a lot, but when you're dealing with printed materials, every penny counts. And if you can shorten a book by 2-4 pages by misusing a term that everyone thinks is similar to the correct term, chances are you're going to go with the shorter term. And hope that the minority of your customers that would recognize the difference are forgiving enough to not make a big deal out of it.

Usda Beph

• Omae
  • aka Black Angus
« Reply #33 on: <09-08-10/1016:03> »
Y'know for a issue that's 'not that big a deal', 31 replies in 7 hours is pretty impressive.
Did you forget there is someone who's always wrong on the interwebz! ;D
Yeah, I'm A Minotaur! You Gotta Beef with that?
I'm a Minotaur not a bully!
I studied at the Rocky Mountain Culinary School.I specialized in Seafood.
My Dad worked out of el Toro In New Mexico.

MJBurrage

• Newb
  • Running shadows since 2050
« Reply #34 on: <09-08-10/1018:08> »
For better or for worse, English is a descriptivist language, not a prescriptivist one.

While there is a technical difference, between magazine and clip, that does matters to their designers and historians; the simple fact is that in common English usage, the two words have been conflated for eight decades, as even the NRA’s Firearms Glossary acknowledges.

You might as well argue over whether firearms are guns.

« Reply #35 on: <09-08-10/1021:00> »
I thought all the [C] guns in Shadowrun had fixed magazines and fed in all the ammunition through clips.

Doc Chaos

• Omae
  • Bavarian Mr. Johnson
« Reply #36 on: <09-08-10/1030:07> »
I thought all the [C] guns in Shadowrun had fixed magazines and fed in all the ammunition through clips.

*head explodes*

Usda Beph

• Omae
  • aka Black Angus
« Reply #37 on: <09-08-10/1031:30> »
Quote from: wiki
A magazine is an ammunition storage and feeding device within or attached to a repeating firearm. Magazines may be integral to the firearm (fixed) or removable (detachable). The magazine functions by moving the cartridges stored in the magazine into a position where they may be loaded into the chamber by the action of the firearm. The detachable magazine is often referred to as a clip; such usage is frowned upon by many authorities on firearms but is nonetheless commonplace.
K Nuff said.

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #38 on: <09-08-10/1032:53> »
Truthfully, using "clip" to refer to external magazines and "magazine" to refer to internal ones does make it easier to distinguish between the two in brief texts.
There is no overkill.

Only "Open fire" and "I need to reload."

Usda Beph

• Omae
  • aka Black Angus
« Reply #39 on: <09-08-10/1053:43> »
Truthfully, using "clip" to refer to external magazines and "magazine" to refer to internal ones does make it easier to distinguish between the two in brief texts.
Ok so for all this time of me not knowing the difference. Clips go IN the weapon Mags stick out! Thats it? That's the difference? OMG :o That's just to funny!

Mooncrow

• Chummer
« Reply #40 on: <09-08-10/1055:59> »
Ok so for all this time of me not knowing the difference. Clips go IN the weapon Mags stick out! Thats it? That's the difference? OMG :o That's just to funny!

Mmm, kind of.  Clips can also go into an external magazine though.  They're more like speedloaders. 

Usda Beph

• Omae
  • aka Black Angus
« Reply #41 on: <09-08-10/1101:05> »

Mmm, kind of.  Clips can also go into an external magazine though.  They're more like speedloaders. 
Like teh "clips used for rapid loading an M-16?

Doc Chaos

• Omae
  • Bavarian Mr. Johnson
« Reply #42 on: <09-08-10/1101:30> »
Wow, I just found a movie mistake! In "Black Hawk Down" there is a scene were the two guys in the downed heli fight for their lives and one yells "I need a pistol mag!" So that should've technically been a pistol CLIP... right...?

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #43 on: <09-08-10/1103:47> »
Heh, no, they actually got that one right.  The pistol uses an ejectable "external" magazine.  If I'm reading all this correctly.
There is no overkill.

Only "Open fire" and "I need to reload."

Doc Chaos

• Omae
  • Bavarian Mr. Johnson
« Reply #44 on: <09-08-10/1115:20> »
Ok, that's it. I am officially giving up and converting to the "I don't give a frag!" crowd.