NEWS

It Must be stated

• 107 Replies

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #15 on: <09-08-10/0607:00> »
Because they don't know the difference?  They had no idea one existed?

My nome de plume aside, I didn't even know what the difference between a magazine and a clip was.  I just thought "clip" was slang for magazine.  And that's probably how the writers saw it.
There is no overkill.

Only "Open fire" and "I need to reload."

Jonny Reload

• Newb
  • The guns go PEW PEW PEW!
« Reply #16 on: <09-08-10/0616:38> »
I would love to actually know the history of HOW in American culture this mix up began in the 70's and literally NEVER was brought into question by a growing group of gun fans until the late 2000's! It's just this misconception that has been left unchecked for so long in popular belief that it began to change the definition itself until people who actually run a few gun companies stood up and said "Uhhh, no, we call them magazines"

In all honesty, I'd be happy if Shadowrun even came up with some sort of fluff in the plot to explain WHY people call them clips instead of just letting it stay there without explanation.
"Do you hear that Mr. Anderson? That is the sound of inevitability... That is the sound of your death."
-Agent Smith from The Matrix

John Schmidt

• Omae
« Reply #17 on: <09-08-10/0631:23> »
I remember during the first Gulf War, Dan Rather is giving this news report where he is talking about this new invention, cut to a Tomcat taking off, the afterburner. I am like, oh really? They date back to before the SR-71.  :-[

Pop culture, movies and the news shows would be my best guess.
It's not the one with your name on it; it's the one addressed "to whom it may concern" you've got to think about.

Mäx

• Ace Runner
« Reply #18 on: <09-08-10/0632:47> »
And i ask again, how do you know those weapons that in SR use clips don't actually use clips instead of magazines ;)
"An it harm none, do what you will"

Jonny Reload

• Newb
  • The guns go PEW PEW PEW!
« Reply #19 on: <09-08-10/0638:15> »
And i ask again, how do you know those weapons that in SR use clips don't actually use clips instead of magazines ;)

Because if you tried to put a clip into an Ares Predator, and some how managed to lodge the first round into the chamber, the rest of your rounds would fall rattling onto the ground... That would be to embarrassing for any Shadowrunner to face...

"Time out guys! Sorry, I was using a clip instead of a mag, I know, I know!.... Lemme just... Excuse me... Let me just get a few of... Some of my rounds fell under your legs sir."
"Do you hear that Mr. Anderson? That is the sound of inevitability... That is the sound of your death."
-Agent Smith from The Matrix

John Schmidt

• Omae
« Reply #20 on: <09-08-10/0642:43> »
I don't care who you are, now that is funny!  ;D
It's not the one with your name on it; it's the one addressed "to whom it may concern" you've got to think about.

Usda Beph

• Omae
  • aka Black Angus
« Reply #21 on: <09-08-10/0738:54> »
*Poke*I always thought a clip was something my wife holds her doo in place with and a magazine was a Gossip rag???*Dives for cover*

Never mind my years as a US Marine ;) :D ;D
« Last Edit: <09-08-10/0758:41> by Usda Beph »
Yeah, I'm A Minotaur! You Gotta Beef with that?
I'm a Minotaur not a bully!
I studied at the Rocky Mountain Culinary School.I specialized in Seafood.
My Dad worked out of el Toro In New Mexico.

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #22 on: <09-08-10/0740:56> »
I remember during the first Gulf War, Dan Rather is giving this news report where he is talking about this new invention, cut to a Tomcat taking off, the afterburner. I am like, oh really? They date back to before the SR-71.  :-[

Pop culture, movies and the news shows would be my best guess.
Wait, what?  Seriously?  He said that?

My opinion of mass media keeps dropping day by day.
There is no overkill.

Only "Open fire" and "I need to reload."

Doc Chaos

• Omae
  • Bavarian Mr. Johnson
« Reply #23 on: <09-08-10/0745:18> »
You still have an opinion on mass media that can drop?? Oh, wait, you dont watch FOX news, do you? ;)
SR4A Limited Edition [german] - 0478/1100

John Schmidt

• Omae
« Reply #24 on: <09-08-10/0755:01> »
I am certain that there are topics that Dan Rather is extremely well versed in that I would look (and sound) the fool if I tried to talk about.

We all have our areas of interest and I am not faulting him for that.  ;D

Anyone who knows me will tell you that I have my pet peeves, the hot swapping of truth and fact, democracy for republic, and so forth. As a writer I have to believe that words matter, they have power, shaping perception and policy, so using the right ones are important to me.

Duck for elves...and behold...the immortal ducks.

John Schmidt

• Omae
« Reply #25 on: <09-08-10/0759:10> »
You still have an opinion on mass media that can drop?? Oh, wait, you dont watch FOX news, do you? ;)

I am mentally smacking myself upside the head for the Dan Rather post now. We (and me included) should endeavor to keep the conversation clear of the political side of things.

DWC

• Omae
« Reply #26 on: <09-08-10/0801:10> »
I've started to assume that the mistake is being perpetuated out of spite.  There's really no other reason to be willfully and constantly wrong about something when being right takes no effort.  It's right up there with the Acceleration/Speed thing in SR4.  Referring to the two stats as Tactical Speed and Chase Speed would have avoided massive numbers of people grossly misunderstanding how vehicles move.

Usda Beph

• Omae
  • aka Black Angus
« Reply #27 on: <09-08-10/0801:54> »
John I know the power of the written/spoken word. I use them well to make silly puns out of comments all the time. ;D
Yeah, I'm A Minotaur! You Gotta Beef with that?
I'm a Minotaur not a bully!
I studied at the Rocky Mountain Culinary School.I specialized in Seafood.
My Dad worked out of el Toro In New Mexico.

Doc Chaos

• Omae
  • Bavarian Mr. Johnson
« Reply #28 on: <09-08-10/0803:58> »
Agreed and warning understood, Herr Schmidt ;)

I can understand the frustration of the well versed weapon owners (the same is true for me and the matrix rules and computers). In case of the weapon loading mechanism, I guess someone without the proper knowledge made the definition mistake and the team (and the team after the team) carried that through the versions, maybe because of lack of knowledge, maybe not to cause confusion when different versions are compared, who knows.

Best thing to do is IMHO write the DEVs about this.
SR4A Limited Edition [german] - 0478/1100

Mäx

• Ace Runner
« Reply #29 on: <09-08-10/0805:23> »
Because if you tried to put a clip into an Ares Predator, and some how managed to lodge the first round into the chamber, the rest of your rounds would fall rattling onto the ground... That would be to embarrassing for any Shadowrunner to face...
Considering there are real pistols that use clips, i wouldn't be so sure ;)
Maybe for some bizarre reason noone ever invented a removable magazines in SR world ::)
"An it harm none, do what you will"