NEWS

It Must be stated

• 107 Replies

_-Target-_

• Newb
« on: <09-08-10/0206:17> »
Hello Fellow Runners,

I am rather new to the scene, and so have recently read many of the jackpoint files (core rule books) to the point that I feel as if my head is going to explode... that aside

It has to be said:

It's a #@$T@  MAGAZINE not a CLIP

Here is a link to a video that will explain it to you
http://www.veoh.com/browse/videos/category/sports/watch/v6609445x3TGfab3

Over and Over in print, SR constantly refer to magazines as clips, in the wrong usage...  I have to choke down a sound that I automatically emit when I read that.  Firearms are a necessary part of my life, I spend many hours training with them every week.   The use of clip in the wrong verb-age shows a gross lack of knowledge or even disrespect to the firearm community at large..  SR  does a wonderful job of building plausible technology at least from a conceptual point of view... but dear god this needs to be addressed.  First time I get new people on the firring line I have to beat the Hollywood out of them, Please SR in future editions use a common search and replace function available in both adobe and MS word, or star office to fix this travesty.

I will now get off my soap box and quietly go back to the shadows.. but I am watching you SR...

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #1 on: <09-08-10/0213:05> »
I've told myself that game companies do it just to save on word count.

Mooncrow

• Chummer
« Reply #2 on: <09-08-10/0230:04> »
Yes, it's something that's been mentioned on a fairly regular basis^^ 

But, disrespect, really?  Travesty?  Sorry, I can't say I really see that.

Mäx

• Ace Runner
« Reply #3 on: <09-08-10/0233:00> »
How do you know that any of those weapons in SR use magazines,maybe they all do use clips ;)
Maybe all the artist just got the look of the guns wrong ;D
"An it harm none, do what you will"

Mooncrow

• Chummer
« Reply #4 on: <09-08-10/0241:10> »
It's a question of definition:

Magazines feed rounds into the firing chamber

Clips feed rounds into magazines

Pepsi Jedi

• Newb
« Reply #5 on: <09-08-10/0326:16> »
If you're out in the real world exchanging fire with orcs and trolls and security forces.. I Imagine it might mean something to you.

In our living rooms and such around the gaming table. Why cause such a fuss?

kinderkrieg

• Newb
« Reply #6 on: <09-08-10/0342:57> »
i really don't see this point offending a majority of gamers. Kind of confused as to why anyone would feel disrespect at the two being switched. Sorry you feel this way but really, it's a fictional game, in a fictional universe, just chalk it up with creative license and get on with enjoying the rest of the game.

Pepsi Jedi

• Newb
« Reply #7 on: <09-08-10/0354:48> »
Or just use the word you prefer. It's not like it's going to confuse anyone. If you call it a 'clip' or a 'magazine', in reference to something with bullets to go in a gun. Everyone knows what you're describing.

Mooncrow

• Chummer
« Reply #8 on: <09-08-10/0402:02> »
Yep.  It's one of those things that can be mildly annoying to those in the know, but it's hardly something to get worked up over.

Doc Chaos

• Omae
  • Bavarian Mr. Johnson
« Reply #9 on: <09-08-10/0505:44> »
I'm working in the industrial computer industry. If I got worked up over every bit of pure bulldrek regarding the Matrix... I would've stopped playing Shadowrun years ago. *shrugs* Its a game, its fiction, so fraggin what.
SR4A Limited Edition [german] - 0478/1100

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #10 on: <09-08-10/0543:23> »
It's informative and interesting, but I don't imagine many will stick to the technical terms regarding firearms.

Trust me, as a former Navy Nuclear technician, whenever I hear the TV spout "The reactor's going CRITICAL!"  I just want to laugh/cry/hurl heavy objects.

For those who don't know, "critical" means that you have TURNED THE REACTOR ON.  It is at the CRITICAL point where it is now a self-sustaining reaction.

I get where you are coming from, but TV and Hollywood (and, by extension, most of the public) will always use terms they have very little knowledge of.
There is no overkill.

Only "Open fire" and "I need to reload."

raggedhalo

• Omae
« Reply #11 on: <09-08-10/0543:55> »
Rule of Cool, surely?  A little Hollywood is fine in Shadowrun.
Joe Rooney
Freelancer (Missions and otherwise: here's my stuff, plus CMP 2011-05 Burn Notice)

My Obsidian Portal profile

Doc Chaos

• Omae
  • Bavarian Mr. Johnson
« Reply #12 on: <09-08-10/0551:05> »
Rule of Cool, surely?  A little Hollywood is fine in Shadowrun.

QFT
SR4A Limited Edition [german] - 0478/1100

John Schmidt

• Omae
« Reply #13 on: <09-08-10/0557:19> »
"The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their proper name." - Confucius

Like the difference between an engine and motor.

Well, Hollywood does things that can be very silly too. The armor piercing 9mm rounds punching a hole through the blade of a bulldozer and killing the bad guy operating it comes readily to mind. Thankfully we have Mythbusters to keep us grounded in reality!

If I am still freelancing for Catalyst when the time comes for 5th Edition I will certainly bring this point up. Just understand though, that my word doesn't carry a lot of weight...heck even I don't listen to myself at time!  ;D
It's not the one with your name on it; it's the one addressed "to whom it may concern" you've got to think about.

Jonny Reload

• Newb
  • The guns go PEW PEW PEW!
« Reply #14 on: <09-08-10/0558:00> »
I gotta side with Target on this one.... Not as passionately as him, but it's still friggin obnoxious. Take a look at fantasy role players and when people in the UK Spell Armor = Armour..... The amount of pocket protectors and blood spattered D20's that lay in the wake of such epic battles only proves that when you build a game around certain aspects, fans of those aspects (Guns) will start to notice your imperfections.

This isn't something that's like stating "Were suspending disbelief since there's Elves and Trolls in the world for the sake of plot." This is basically perpetuating ignorance for no reason to further plot or the game setting.... It's just laziness. I mean I could bet money if one day people started calling Elves in Shadowrun "Ducks" for no apparent reason, it would drive people insane to the point they'd be foaming at the mouth. It's not a "Hollywood Cool" thing, bullet time, slow motion, dramatic pauses while role playing, are Hollywood things.... This is just laziness.

If anyone here could give a logical explanation as to why Shadowrun (after 4 damn editions) keeps calling a Magazine a Clip, I will gladly lay down my beliefs that the writers can be really lazy with certain aspects of the game. For god sakes, they do tons of research on new advances in technology so they can shove it in right away and claim it to be 2070 tech..... They can't figure out the box thingie you put into the hole thing is called a Magazine?!  ???
"Do you hear that Mr. Anderson? That is the sound of inevitability... That is the sound of your death."
-Agent Smith from The Matrix