NEWS

First Attempt at a Technomancer

• 9 Replies

8-bit

« on: <10-28-14/1815:44> »
This is not my first time making a Technomancer, but it is the first time I've been satisfied with it to actually keep the build. Any suggestions appreciated, as I realize it is a very strange setup.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

-- Priorities --
Metatype E (Human)
Attributes B
Resonance A (6 Resonance, 5 Complex Forms)
Skills C
Resources D

-- Karma Expenditure --
50 Total
-14 in Qualities
-10 for Strength 2
-2 for Etiquette 1
-2 for Pilot Ground Craft 1
-9 for Perception 1 and Visual Specialization
-8 for 16,000 nuyen
-5 for Contacts

0 Left

-- Attributes --
Body 3
Agility 2
Reaction 3
Strength 2
Willpower 6
Logic 5
Intuition 5
Charisma 3
Edge 2
Essence 6
Resonance 6

Initiative - 8 + 1d6
Initiative w/ Cram - 9 + 2d6
Initiative w/ Psyche - 9 + 1d6
Initiative w/ Cram + Psyche - 10 + 2d6
Hot Sim Matrix Initiative - 10 + 4d6
Physical Condition Monitor - 10
Stun Condition Monitor - 11
Physical Limit - 4
Mental Limit - 7
Social Limit - 6

-- Qualities --
Exceptional Attribute - Resonance (-14 Karma)
Codeblock - Crack File (+10 Karma)
Corporate Limited SIN - Horizon (+15 Karma)

-- Skills --
Stealth 2
Automatics 6 (+2 Submachine Guns) - dice pool of 8 (10)
Compiling 6 (+2 Crack Sprite) - dice pool of 13 (15)
Computer 6 (+2 Matrix Perception) - dice pool of 11 (13)
Hardware 3 - dice pool of 9
Etiquette 1 - dice pool of 4
Perception 1 (+2 Visual) - dice pool of 6 (8)
Pilot Ground Craft 1 - dice pool of 4
Registering 6 (+2 Crack Sprite) - dice pool of 13 (15)
Software 6 (+2 Resonance Spike) - dice pool of 11 (13)

-- Knowledge/Language Skills --
English N
Japanese 6 (+2 Speak) - dice pool of 11 (13)
Street Knowledge: Data Havens (+2 North America) - dice pool of 11 (13)
Street Knowledge: Street Drugs - dice pool of 11

-- Gear --
Vashon Island: Steampunk w/ Nonconductivity 6, Transys Avalon Commlink, Rating 6 Respirator, Rating 6 Bug Scanner, Rating 6 White Noise Generator - 9,950 nuyen
Ares SIGMA 3 w/ Foregrip, Slide Mount, Internal Smartgun, Basic Advanced Safety System, Gas-Vent 3 System, Sling, 2 Spare Clips (Drums technically) - 2,225 nuyen
Ammunition: 200 Regular Ammo (Submachine Guns), 200 Stick-n-Shock Ammo (Submachine Guns) - 2,000 nuyen
15 doses of Cram - 150 nuyen
5 doses of Psyche - 1,000 nuyen
Rating 6 Medkit - 1,500 nuyen
Micro-transceiver - 100 nuyen
Tag Eraser - 450 nuyen
Rating 6 Directional Jammer - 1,200 nuyen
Rating 4 Area Jammer - 800 nuyen
100 Datachips - 50 nuyen
Gas Mask - 200 nuyen
20 Magnesium Torches - 100 nuyen
Survival Kit - 200 nuyen
Disguise Kit - 500 nuyen
Capacity 4 Glasses w/ Smartlink, Flare Compensation, Vision Enhancement 2 - 3,650 nuyen
2 Gold, 4 Silver, 4 Standard Credsticks - 300 nuyen
Rating 4 Fake SIN w/ Rating 4 Fake License (Concealed Carry License), Rating 4 Fake License (Security Consultant License) - 11,600 nuyen
Suzuki Mirage w/ Chameleon Coating, Morphing License Plate, Spoof Chips - 20,000 nuyen
High Lifestyle (1 Month) - 10,000 nuyen

Remaining Money - 25 + (5d6 x 500) nuyen

-- Resonance --
Fading Resist - Resonance + Willpower | 13 dice

Complex Forms
Diffusion of Firewall
Resonance Spike
Static Veil
Static Bomb
Stitches

-- Contacts --

ID Manufacturer
Connection 5 | Loyalty 2

Fixer
Connection 4 | Loyalty 3

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Any thoughts are appreciated.
« Last Edit: <10-28-14/2036:21> by 8-bit »

JackVII

• Prime Runner
  • Ah-ah... Temper, Temper
« Reply #1 on: <10-28-14/1821:10> »
Hardware and EW are both relatively important Matrix skills and cannot be defaulted to an attribute. Might want to scrounge some points for those.
|DTG|Place|Address in Brackets
"Dialogue"
PC/NPC Names
>>Matrix/Comm
"Astral"
<<Text/Email>>
Thoughts/Subvocal

saithor

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <10-28-14/1827:13> »
Ditto on EW, although I don't think hardware is as critical, unless I misunderstand the skill.
Dialogue
Comn
Astral
Thoughts
What's your favorite scary movie?

8-bit

« Reply #3 on: <10-28-14/1833:22> »
This guy does none of his own hacking; it's all through sprites and complex forms. A Level 6 Crack Sprite will be rolling 12 dice to Hack on the Fly, which frees up my skills a bit.

As for Hardware, what is the point of Hardware on a Technomancer? I don't really need it for repairing Matrix Damage. Electronic Warfare would be nice, it's true, but what would I use it for than a limited amount of Matrix Actions? This guy is not meant to hack any of his own stuff, he's mostly a support guy for his sprites to do the work. I just don't know if Electronic Warfare is really that important for this guy, as he cannot really hack the Matrix on his own anyways; he relies on Sprites.

This guy was set up as a Security Spider, so he mostly kept a look out for stuff with Matrix Perception checks and used his Sprites to help summon a virtual army in case of Intruders. He never really hacked anything on his own.

I guess the real question is; is this possible to have someone utilize only sprites for Matrix actions? Or does a Technomancer actually have to be capable of doing his own hacking?
« Last Edit: <10-28-14/1835:02> by 8-bit »

JackVII

• Prime Runner
« Reply #4 on: <10-28-14/1950:01> »
- Hardware is the skill required to Jack Out if you get linklocked by Black IC or another persona. I guess if you don't think you're ever going to be targeted by it or are always going to be operating in AR, you're fine not taking it (even then, you'd be open to taking unceasing Stun Damage if you can't reboot). But if you are in VR and are targeted (particularly in a Host) and don't have the skill, you're very likely going to die.

- EW allows you to Hide if you're spotted, which can be helpful if a security spider does manage to spot you while your sprites are running amok.

ETA: I think you can make a generally viable TM who doesn't do that much hacking, but it really depends on how much leeway you're given with sprites. If you aren't going to enter a Host with them, I'm not sure how you would direct them. It may be possible, I'm not sure, Anyway, I see Hardware and EW more as being used for Matrix Defense by anyone who spends time doing questionably legal things in the Matrix.
« Last Edit: <10-28-14/1954:52> by JackVII »
"Dialogue"
PC/NPC Names
>>Matrix/Comm
"Astral"
<<Text/Email>>
Thoughts/Subvocal

8-bit

« Reply #5 on: <10-28-14/1958:21> »
Oh, yeah. Might be bad to get linklocked without being able to get out. As for Hide; I could take Static Bomb instead of Transcendent Grid; how does that sound?

JackVII

• Prime Runner
« Reply #6 on: <10-28-14/2011:49> »
Static Bomb would work fine to replace that function of EW. Really, the only other one that you couldn't have a sprite do would be Check Overwatch Score, but if you aren't doing anything to generate OS, it shouldn't matter.
"Dialogue"
PC/NPC Names
>>Matrix/Comm
"Astral"
<<Text/Email>>
Thoughts/Subvocal

8-bit

« Reply #7 on: <10-28-14/2036:24> »
All right, I made a few changes.

I removed Analytical Mind and Photographic Memory. I swapped Perception out for Hardware 3. I then bought Perception and it's specialization back for 9 Karma. I removed a point from Agility and a point from Strength to put into Charisma, mostly because I have no Attack stat otherwise; which would be problematic when trying to erase MARKs. That gave me a lot of karma back from contacts, so I removed some doses of Psyche and removed the Extra Secure from my Lifestyle to get another 2 Karma. I finally bought back Strength 2 with my last 10 Karma. I also switched out Transcendent Grid with Static Bomb, much to my chagrin. I'll be limited to whatever Global Grid I choose from my lifestyle, as my hacking abilities are less than stellar.

Shrazkil

• Omae
« Reply #8 on: <10-28-14/2047:23> »
All right, I made a few changes.

I removed Analytical Mind and Photographic Memory. I swapped Perception out for Hardware 3. I then bought Perception and it's specialization back for 9 Karma. I removed a point from Agility and a point from Strength to put into Charisma, mostly because I have no Attack stat otherwise; which would be problematic when trying to erase MARKs. That gave me a lot of karma back from contacts, so I removed some doses of Psyche and removed the Extra Secure from my Lifestyle to get another 2 Karma. I finally bought back Strength 2 with my last 10 Karma. I also switched out Transcendent Grid with Static Bomb, much to my chagrin. I'll be limited to whatever Global Grid I choose from my lifestyle, as my hacking abilities are less than stellar.
Can save 3 Karma by getting rid of stealth and using it for the perception, and perception specialization, then buying 2 levels of stealth for 6.

8-bit

« Reply #9 on: <10-28-14/2051:44> »
Stealth is the skill group that I get for free from having Priority C skills. It includes the Sneaking, Palming, and Disguise skills.