« Reply #450 on: <03-14-17/0850:09> »
Page 266 of the CRB, under VR and Rigging states:

If  you’re  using
hot-sim,  you  get  +3D6  (4D6  total)  Initiative  dice,  and
a +1 dice pool bonus that applies to all Matrix test
(in-
cluding Vehicle actions), but all biofeedback damage is
Physical damage.

This +1 is in direct contradiction to the Hot-sim section of the Matrix chapter, where it's +2. p. 230:

When  you  are  in  hot-sim  VR  mode,  you  use  your
Data Processing + Intuition as your Initiative and you get
+4D6 Initiative Dice (remember that any enhancements
or bonuses cannot take you past the maximum of 5D6
Initiative Dice). You receive a +2 dice pool bonus to all
Matrix  actions,
  and  you  take  biofeedback  damage  as
Physical damage.

Patrick Goodman

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
  • Fixing the fixless since 2016
« Reply #451 on: <03-14-17/1700:24> »
I feel that the bar has been set so fucking low that it is possible for people who have become so utterly fucked up in the head that they accept pieces of shit like SR5 and related books as an actual real RPG.  The fact that Trump was elected president supports my hypothesis.  This world will fall to incompetency within 50 years.  The 2006 movie Idiocracy played down the level of stupid that is to come so that people would find it believable.
BEGIN MODERATOR VOICE

I have read your entire posting history on this board. Further outbursts of this nature will be dealt with appropriately. This is your only warning.

END MODERATOR VOICE

Former Shadowrun Errata Coordinator

manchuwook

• Newb
  • DO EET!
« Reply #452 on: <03-20-17/1621:52> »
So - per a Reddit Post  ( https://www.reddit.com/r/Shadowrun/comments/60i3rp/diffusion_of_data_processing_vs_matrix_perception/ ) I got a straw to grasp for Diffusion of [Matrix Attribute].  An IC starts with its own Matrix Condition and Initiative, can it also have it's ASDF damaged as well?  Meaning, can I hit its Data Processing attribute for when it does Matrix Perception tests?  Does it always unequivocally use the host Attack Value, even if I have to go through the effort of putting separate marks on it, damage it separately, data spike it individually, etc. etc. etc.?

marfish

• Newb
« Reply #453 on: <03-28-17/0854:56> »
Under the Skills section: Arcana governs the creation of magical formulae used to create spells, foci, and all other manner of magical manipulations. Arcana is required to understand formulae that may be purchased over the counter or discovered by other means.

Yet, under the 'Learning Spells' section (p. 299), no mention of having to make any sort of Arcana test is mentioned. You buy the spell and learn it using either Spellcasting, Ritual Spellcasting or Alchemy.

This seems to be an age-old issues, but I can't find any official response to it.

Is that true that a character need to have Arcana in order to understand the formulae they purchased?

Kiirnodel

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #454 on: <03-28-17/1416:14> »
Under the Skills section: Arcana governs the creation of magical formulae used to create spells, foci, and all other manner of magical manipulations. Arcana is required to understand formulae that may be purchased over the counter or discovered by other means.

Yet, under the 'Learning Spells' section (p. 299), no mention of having to make any sort of Arcana test is mentioned. You buy the spell and learn it using either Spellcasting, Ritual Spellcasting or Alchemy.

This seems to be an age-old issues, but I can't find any official response to it.

Is that true that a character need to have Arcana in order to understand the formulae they purchased?

My understanding is that you don't need Arcana to learn spells, there isn't an error in the Learning spells. The part in skills about Arcana being "necessary to understand formulae" is just a different context for the term understand. If you have a strange formula and want to identify it, you would need Arcana. Without it (presumably) a talismonger could rip you off by selling you a wrong formula. But that doesn't mean you need Arcana to learn the spell from it.

Let me use an analogy. Automotive Mechanic is necessary to understand how a car works, but that doesn't mean you need it to be able to drive.

manchuwook

• Newb
  • DO EET!
« Reply #455 on: <03-28-17/1606:50> »

My understanding is that you don't need Arcana to learn spells, there isn't an error in the Learning spells. The part in skills about Arcana being "necessary to understand formulae" is just a different context for the term understand. If you have a strange formula and want to identify it, you would need Arcana. Without it (presumably) a talismonger could rip you off by selling you a wrong formula. But that doesn't mean you need Arcana to learn the spell from it.

Let me use an analogy. Automotive Mechanic is necessary to understand how a car works, but that doesn't mean you need it to be able to drive.

My confusion is why Arcana needs to be an active skill instead of a knowledge skill.  Are you able to make a spell cooler or create a new one from scratch using Arcana?  If you can, are there rules for that?

Kiirnodel

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #456 on: <03-28-17/1648:57> »
My confusion is why Arcana needs to be an active skill instead of a knowledge skill.  Are you able to make a spell cooler or create a new one from scratch using Arcana?  If you can, are there rules for that?

Conceptually, yes. Although the rules for creating spells from scratch don't currently exist. In previous editions they have often at some point released a set of rules for creation your own spells. Arcana is an active skill because it can be used to create formula, there are rules for writing your own focus formula, for example on page 306 when it talks about selecting the focus formula for artificing. I imagine there will eventually be rules for creating your own spell formula when they release rules for researching your own unique spells. It is also actively used for several other purposes, including noticing Preparations, initiation, creating the spirit formula for Ally Spirits, and so forth.

Shamie

• Omae
« Reply #457 on: <03-28-17/1849:05> »
Hello, i dont know if this has been post before but on page 133 of the corebook on the skill specializations of Freefall, there is the "Break fall" specialization. However there isnt any roll to break a fall in SR5. And the roll to resist falling damage is body + armor making break fall a specialization that doesnt apply to anything.

English is not my native language so what i mean be breaking fall is for example jumping from a 2 floor and using the environment to reduce the fall.

marfish

• Newb
« Reply #458 on: <03-28-17/2252:06> »

Thanks a lot. That make sense.

Hello, i dont know if this has been post before but on page 133 of the corebook on the skill specializations of Freefall, there is the "Break fall" specialization. However there isnt any roll to break a fall in SR5. And the roll to resist falling damage is body + armor making break fall a specialization that doesnt apply to anything.

English is not my native language so what i mean be breaking fall is for example jumping from a 2 floor and using the environment to reduce the fall.

similarly, madicine has an specialization as "magical healing". I also find it really confusing. Is it means that if PC claimed that they somehow channel mana into the medicinal process, they would get the bonus? If true, that would be way too convenient.

Kiirnodel

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #459 on: <03-28-17/2308:55> »

You are absolutely correct, the Free-Fall skill doesn't seemingly aid Falling as things are currently written. In fact, there aren't that many written uses for the Free-Fall skill at all; mostly just rappelling.

The Falling Damage section does mention that the GM is free to modify damage based on environment, so I could easily see allowing a Free-Fall test for a character to "stick the landing better" in the previous edition, Gymnastics (just the skill rating) was added to the damage resistance test against Falling damage. Before looking it up, I would have suggested using Free-Fall as a sort of Teamwork Test (the hits from a Free-Fall test add bonus dice on the damage resistance).

There are several different options, but you didn't miss something.

similarly, madicine has an specialization as "magical healing". I also find it really confusing. Is it means that if PC claimed that they somehow channel mana into the medicinal process, they would get the bonus? If true, that would be way too convenient.

That one is a slight mis-read. The specialization is Magical Health, not Healing. So it would (conceptually) apply if the medical trauma you are making a test on is magical in nature.
« Last Edit: <03-28-17/2313:18> by Kiirnodel »

marfish

• Newb
« Reply #460 on: <03-28-17/2338:38> »

You are absolutely correct, the Free-Fall skill doesn't seemingly aid Falling as things are currently written. In fact, there aren't that many written uses for the Free-Fall skill at all; mostly just rappelling.

The Falling Damage section does mention that the GM is free to modify damage based on environment, so I could easily see allowing a Free-Fall test for a character to "stick the landing better" in the previous edition, Gymnastics (just the skill rating) was added to the damage resistance test against Falling damage. Before looking it up, I would have suggested using Free-Fall as a sort of Teamwork Test (the hits from a Free-Fall test add bonus dice on the damage resistance).

There are several different options, but you didn't miss something.

That one is a slight mis-read. The specialization is Magical Health, not Healing. So it would (conceptually) apply if the medical trauma you are making a test on is magical in nature.

thinks for the clarify

Redwulfe

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #461 on: <04-10-17/1653:30> »
It seems that the Errata Document I have is dated 2/9/2014, is there a more current one or is a more current one coming soon?

Also Has the PDF's ever been updated with the errata document?

Thanks,
Red
There are 10 kinds of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't

Red

*Play-by-Post color guide*
Thinking
com
speaking

&#24525;

« Reply #462 on: <04-10-17/1930:08> »

Chummer 5 is Alive

• Omae
« Reply #463 on: <04-20-17/0054:44> »
The Spirit Bane and Spirit Affinity qualities state that they're limited to 'magic users'; is this supposed to refer to Adepts as well as Magicians? Can Awakened characters like Ghouls and Pixies take the qualities without also being an Adept or Magician?
« Last Edit: <04-20-17/0704:14> by Chummer 5 is Alive »

GMFunkytown

• Chummer
« Reply #464 on: <05-12-17/1344:57> »
I was told that the topic of Indirect Area Combat Spells has been discussed on the errata thread in the past, but I can't seem to find it anywhere. So I'm going to have to ask for a clarification here:

There seems to be some contradiction and confusion about whether or not targets affected by an Indirect Area Combat Spell are supposed to be allowed a defense test. Some claim that it is to be treated like other AoE attacks (e.g. grenades), and so targets in the area should NOT get a defense test. Others state that wording in the rules, and examples in the book (particularly the example on page 283 of core) indicate that targets DO get to defend, especially considering there is so much mention of "net hits" staging up the damage value. Some people also argue that if there is no opposed test on area indirect combat spells, then how do you use counterspelling to defend against them?

So, has there been clarification? The simple question is this: Do targets affected by Area Indirect Combat Spells get a defense test?