NEWS

Shadowrun 4E and Earthdawn connections?

• 162 Replies

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #120 on: <06-10-12/0935:53> »
Not to pour water on this grease fire, but just because something was called a continent in ancient times doesn't mean it conforms with our view of a continent. A large island, well off to sea, might get called a continent, especially if someone was looking to pump up their story, as people are wont to do. And islands can (and have) been wiped off the map before. And if an alchera could sink most of Los Angeles, who is to say what could happen to Thera, center of the world's most powerful magical empire?

And if Thera just happened to have been sent... elsewhere, it would hardly have been the first city to have had that happen. Parlainth was sent to the metaplanes during the Scourge, in hopes of hiding from the Horrors in a pinched off pocket of astral space. It didn't work, but there you go.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Lacynth40

• Omae
  • Savaging the average.
« Reply #121 on: <06-10-12/1025:28> »
And Tehran was sent to the special hell courtesy of Aden.
"Remember, you can't have manslaughter without laughter."

"If violence begat violence, in every case, every human on the planet would instantly devolve into gibbering murderers in a day."

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #122 on: <06-10-12/1039:27> »
CanRay needed some company. ;)

My Characters

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #123 on: <06-10-12/1121:17> »
CanRay needed some company. ;)
Different Special Hell.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

beowulf_of_wa

• Omae
  • just say no to rotary assault cannons and bubba.
« Reply #124 on: <06-10-12/1205:10> »
yeah canray has his own specific special hell, full of pissed off demonic unicorns and gun-control nuts and anti-gamer nuts and a gaming store that only sells games designed by illiterate Swahili lion hunters, no guns, no good gamers stores, and no sane enough to deal with people.
Carpe Noctem (seize the night)
Carpe per Diem (seize the pay), Carpe Dentum (seize the teeth), Carpe Denim (seize the pants)
Carpe Panem (seize the bread/capital)

no, i won't "just get over it."

NERPS!! for idiocy! NERPS!! for the minty fresh feeling! NERPS!! for gods! NERPS!! for guard duty!

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #125 on: <06-10-12/1250:26> »
yeah canray has his own specific special hell, full of pissed off demonic unicorns and gun-control nuts and anti-gamer nuts and a gaming store that only sells games designed by illiterate Swahili lion hunters, no guns, no good gamers stores, and no sane enough to deal with people.
And one group of gamers, that he always seems to be GMing for, and never gets the chance to play.

My Characters

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #126 on: <06-10-12/1402:46> »
And one group of gamers, that he always seems to be GMing for, and never gets the chance to play.
Sounds like real life...  Or am I already in hell?
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

beowulf_of_wa

• Omae
  • just say no to rotary assault cannons and bubba.
« Reply #127 on: <06-10-12/1420:36> »
well that is one possibility,,,,,,,,,,,
Carpe Noctem (seize the night)
Carpe per Diem (seize the pay), Carpe Dentum (seize the teeth), Carpe Denim (seize the pants)
Carpe Panem (seize the bread/capital)

no, i won't "just get over it."

NERPS!! for idiocy! NERPS!! for the minty fresh feeling! NERPS!! for gods! NERPS!! for guard duty!

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #128 on: <06-10-12/1423:18> »

You could be in 'Hell on Earth'.

Though there is one case where that might not be so bad (mainly if it's the Deadlands setting by that name--the only version I've had interest in by the way).
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #129 on: <06-10-12/1425:09> »

You could be in 'Hell on Earth'.
Well, he is in Canada...

My Characters

RelentlessImp

• Chummer
« Reply #130 on: <06-10-12/1436:14> »
Poor CanRay. Abused by everyone on the boards.

Oh well. Time to go refill his Special Hell's pool with Africanized honey bees. :D
Next time you're down on your knees, and you're expecting a slap, it might be me in that mask, and I just might have a bat.
Currently Looking for Work

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #131 on: <06-10-12/1445:02> »
We only abuse him for the same reason we abuse the Chicago Cubs. Next game, he'll get to play! Next game!

My Characters

Hermes

• Chummer
« Reply #132 on: <06-11-12/0138:48> »
There's a soundtrack?! Wantwantwant  :P  :o

I have recently . . . acquired . . . Plato's Timaeus and Critias (no relation to poster), though I haven't read them yet. Mirikon's points about the Atlantis legend/myth are good.
On the other side, you can sucessfully gain those "facts" by playing Indiana Jones: The fate of Atlantis a few years back. no need for serious legwork on this topic

I did the serious legwork.  I was going to write a whole Roleplaying Game based on my research.  I found a lot of strange stuff.  I had to practically teach myself Atlanteology in order to create a plausible setting. 

I read Quest for the Lost Civilization and Forbidden Archaeology.  I followed up on a lot of the Out of Place Artifacts.  I came to this conclusions after doing the research:

• ]There was a Lost Civilization during the Age of Leo (12,000-10,000 B.C.) and part of the Age of Cancer.
  • They had Technology that rivaled ours.
  • There are strange artifacts that are collected, catalogued, and put away.
  • People's lives back in the Age of Leo were not much different from ours.  They had the same clothing styles, hair styles, etc.
  • Plato was a philosopher: but that doesn't mean he wasn't a scientist.  He got some details wrong though, but it still makes for a great RPG.  I usually consider him to be the grandfather of Science Fiction.

So, the more things change, the more they stay the same. Plus ça change . . .
----------------------------

I don't know what got me smited a 15th time.  But i am very passionate about this subject, and I have done the research.  Atlanteology is about looking at other evidence of our Ancient Past, not following the usual line.  It's a different way of interpreting early Prehistory.  Now I don't subscribe to the Ancient Aliens theories, although I come across them a lot in my ongoing research (some of them are very plausible).

My research has taken me to the heavens now, and I found more and more evidence that Immanuel Velikovsky was correct. 

Sichr

• Prime Runner
  • TOTÁLNÍ FAŠÍRKA ZMRDI !!!
« Reply #133 on: <06-11-12/0320:53> »
Now, talking about lost ancient civilizations/continents, we are talking here just about half of the story.
There is Atlantis, and there is also Mu/Lemuria...strange that there is nothing related to this in SR/ED universe

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #134 on: <06-11-12/0338:33> »
That's one of the points I was making Sichr. There are practically dozens of lost civilizations, reported in mythology and history. A lot of people lump all of that stuff onto Atlantis, because they hear about it the most.

Now, one thing to point out is the concept of drift. As stories are retold, they change slightly over time, until the original tale is lost almost beyond recognition. A small scale example of this would be to get a good size group of people together (say 20 or so) and play Telephone. The first person whispers a message in the ear of the person to their left, and that person repeats it to the person on their left, and so on, until it gets to the last person in the circle, who says whatever they were just told out loud. The result is usually hilarious, and rarely resembles the original message. The same happens in stories, especially oral histories. And even after the story is written, drift still occurs. Even in famous books, you see drift. Look at the Bible, for instance. If you went to Barnes & Noble and picked up a bible off the shelf, I guarantee it would not have the same language as the bible Gutenberg printed. And that is in perhaps the best known book of all time!

The point is that the tale we all have of Atlantis, where the advanced civilization got too arrogant, and were destroyed as their island sank beneath the waves after earthquakes and volcanoes, could easily have drifted from whatever the 'truth' actually is. Moreover, things like dates could have drifted as well.

My Characters