NEWS

Why do MAD scanners even exist?

• 22 Replies

Sid

• Chummer
« Reply #15 on: <04-16-11/2355:06> »
Dumb guards are standard, but I'd generally prefer anyone with a scanner right next to them to have access to that information, and it doesn't make sense in this case to do it wirelessly.

Avoids mishaps like discovering cyberweapons, eye lasers, throat slashers, concealed darts, etc post-assault - "Put your hands behind your head and get on the ground!" isn't exactly top form for the risk conscious guard in SR.

Dead Monky

• Omae
  • I demand tacos!
« Reply #16 on: <04-17-11/0931:52> »
If you were earning just enough money to afford to eat cubes of soy flavored with an eye dropper would you try to stop the cybered up killing machine that just walked through your post?  I know I wouldn't.  "Screw that!  I'm not getting paid enough for this."

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #17 on: <04-17-11/1048:25> »
No, but you might hit that silent alarm on your way to "Take my mandated break.", running really, really fast after you get around the corner.  :P

And what is a Metal Monster like that doing in such a poorly secured location anyhow?

OK, other than possibly picking the kid up from school?
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Dead Monky

• Omae
  • I demand tacos!
« Reply #18 on: <04-17-11/1207:13> »
No, but you might hit that silent alarm on your way to "Take my mandated break.", running really, really fast after you get around the corner.  :P
Hmm.  Okay.  I'll give you that.  ;D

And what is a Metal Monster like that doing in such a poorly secured location anyhow?

OK, other than possibly picking the kid up from school?
I dunno.  Buying tea biscuits?

Triggvi

• Omae
  • It is all fun and games until the rum runs out
« Reply #19 on: <04-17-11/1252:26> »
think of this. MAD detector are basically the metal detector at airports. used against a mass of people they are useless. They will go off everytime. Unless the stuffer shack wants airport style security he will not have one. 90% it will give false reading because of stuff in peoples pockets and metal in clothing.
A high security building might have both a MAD detector as the obvious security and a cyberware scanner as the hidden security. People have to file one at a time through the mad detector. Perfect for a cyberware scanner to function as well.

normal mall security would not have either because you would end up with lines akin to the airport.
Speaking  Com  Thinking

hobgoblin

• Omae
  • Panda!
« Reply #20 on: <04-17-11/1328:18> »
Go watch Johnny Mnemonic, specifically the scene when he lands and goes thru security after picking up the data to be transported. The scanner thinks his data storage implant is a anti-epileptic implant. Consider the same with a cyberware scanner, especially as deltaware is specifically designed to pass as biological (to the point of working inside a shapeshifter).

A MAD in comparison goes "hey, there is something metallic here!" and leave it up to the guards to give the person a close inspection.
Want to see my flash new jacket?

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #21 on: <04-17-11/1743:48> »
Metal Detectors (And MAD Scanners, I guess) have a sensitivity setting that can be adjusted.

The Grandfather of a friend set off some metal detectors due to shrapnel in his body from WWII, but wouldn't set off others.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

LonePaladin

• Chummer
  • Creator of HeroForge
« Reply #22 on: <04-28-11/1404:58> »
The scanner thinks his data storage implant is a anti-epileptic implant.
This is the sort of thing I do with my cybered characters. A lot of implants are assumed to have RFID tags in them; if you've used a tag eraser on something obvious, you might draw attention just because your fake arm isn't showing its brand-name. Easily fixed by adding forged tags that look all proper and official, but have no actually useful info. For internal cyber, get their tags rigged to claim they're something innocent (like a vagus nerve stimulator).
"You can stop talking now.  Really.  Stop.  I have a Uzi."

ᴖᴥᴖ

Download my Matrix Card set:
https://sites.google.com/site/resonancerealms/