NEWS

Success Mechanics Change

• 5 Replies

JucaBala

• Newb
« on: <07-01-15/1654:54> »
Hi guys. Yes, I know that it is my first post, but I'm keeping an eye on this new edition since its debut. Having played 4th edition (and 2nd and 3rd...) I must say that it is probably my favorite setting, but the rules keep nagging me down...
The two worst offenders are the success on 5-6, and the Dice Pool = Attribute + Skill.
The first imples in more randomness (is that a word?) than I think is worth, at 33% chance of success per die, you get a weird graphic of success/number of dice.
The second implies in the overvaluation of attributes in detriment of skills. I was making some characters to test the system in 5nd edition and, invariably, I keep allocating Priority A or B to Attributes.

Yes, those two problems existed since 4th edition, but it was with the additions of 5nd edition, namely Limits and Skills going up to 13 levels, that I came with an idea that can make think more to my liking.

What I'm fidging with is:
- Change the success on dice from 5-6 to 4-6, increasing the chance from 33% per dice to 50% per dice;
- Use the attributes linked to a skill as it Limit, and don't add the attribute to the dice pool. This way, the attribute is still relevant to the roll, but not more important than the skill. Example: If Grognard has Agility 3 and Stealth 6, he will roll 6 dice (and not 9), and his limit will be 03. Each dice rolled will count a success on a 4-6 roll, instead of 5-6.
- Most modifiers to tests now increase or decrease the threshold instead of the dice pool. Only damage taken decrease the dice pool.

What do you guys think? It is more trouble than it is worth? I still don't have a clue on what to do with guns accuracy, nor how this interacts with the other aspects of the system. It is more an exercise in RPG mechanics.

And sorry for my broken english, it is not my primary language.

SpellBinder

• Omae
« Reply #1 on: <07-01-15/1917:21> »
SR4 had an optional rule for a more cinematic gameplay where the target number was 4 instead of 5, so nothing really new there.

Limits, IMO, are better off never having been implemented in the first place.  I suggest saving yourself some heartache and pitching them.

Kincaid

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #2 on: <07-01-15/2107:40> »
As I understand it, you're suggesting rolling straight skill (not skill + attribute)?  You'll need to totally rework every defense roll as well, which are often attribute + attribute or else people will never hit anything.  Even if you do, you're chances to hit will be significantly diminished.  Given Shadowrun's two-tiered system to defense rolls (dodge, soak) vs direct attacks, this is going to make combat really drag.
Killing so many sacred cows, I'm banned from India.

jim1701

• Ace Runner
« Reply #3 on: <07-01-15/2156:01> »
I'm not a fan of the current system of att + skill = dice pool but I agree that just removing the attribute from the pool and making it the limit is going to cause more problems than it solves. 

Hibiki54

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <07-02-15/1556:07> »
The simple answer is to not play SR5 and stick with SR4. There is no point in trying to rework a system when there is already a system for you to use without changing it.

jim1701

• Ace Runner
« Reply #5 on: <07-02-15/1618:30> »
The simple answer is to not play SR5 and stick with SR4. There is no point in trying to rework a system when there is already a system for you to use without changing it.

SR4 uses the same attribute + skill = dice pool that SR5 does just without the limits.  IMO 4th is actually worse if you don't like how attributes are favored over skill level since skills are capped at six.  Of course there were other issues the OP had with the current system that would most likely be addressed by going back to SR4.