NEWS

Optimization or Story?

• 20 Replies

Fade

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Newb
  • CDT Lead RPG Agent
« Reply #15 on: <06-17-15/1142:12> »
Ultimately, play what you want.  GM's always have more dice to throw at you.

Mike Messmer
Freelancer & FAQ Committee member
RPG Lead Agent
Catalyst Demo Team

Mr. Eastwood

• Newb
« Reply #16 on: <07-01-15/0026:10> »
You can do both...start with a concept and then think of why they would have the skills, etc. and role-play it. Mr. Eastwood went 9 missions before learning (painfully) he was Awakened. It was the funnest mission to role play and then the character went from gunslinging cowboy to studying magic...Arcana, knowledge skills, foci and even initiation, all of which I could have done sooner but just didn't fit the role-playing of the character.  I gave him starting skills like animal husbandry and Western Lit & movies...all of which I have gotten to use at some point.

Play what you like. I know I am going to miss Mr. Eastwood when moves off to the land of Prime Missions soon but at the same time I am having a hard time sticking to 1 idea for my next character (hmmm....Norse Berserker no-tech to the ninja with high Palming that sticks bombs to everything, a la Fallout exploding pants! like Crazy Harry from the Muppets). I even thought of a total knowledge skill character.

antaskidayo

• Omae
« Reply #17 on: <07-01-15/0225:52> »
Doesn't matter which organized play platform you use whether its D&D, PFS, Shadowrun, etc - or what kind of playstyle you use( optimized or rp ). If you don't develop cohesion with your party then drek will really hit the fan and wll prolly lead you to TPK. Now thats not fun, if your co-party are $&^&holes then better find a new group. If your mates really want everyone to have a great time then everyone will pull their own weight and look after everyone.

KarmaInferno

• Ace Runner
  • Armor Stacking Cheese Monkey
« Reply #18 on: <07-01-15/0439:39> »
A lot of folks in Organized Play venues don't have a huge say in their team makeup. At conventions, you show up and play with whoever is at the table.

Either that or you don't play. By that point it's often too late to get into another game, you've wasted the time slot and possibly the money that slot represents. And potentially caused the event to not go off at all due to lack of the minimum required number of players.

-k

antaskidayo

• Omae
« Reply #19 on: <07-01-15/0841:08> »
Thats odd, we never had problems with warhorn on PFS or just facebook with AL, surely SRM must have sites to advertize games to know whos registered and how many people are playing on what table as well. If there's too few people then the game on that table gets cancelled or gets replaced with a game requested before the cutoff period. The organizers then send emails to those registered on that table so they can switch games early. Incase of noshow then the organizers must plan ahead on whatever the circumstance calls for. That's why its called organized play.

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #20 on: <07-03-15/1729:41> »
Not sure why this is an "or" choice.  Character abilities cost fixed resources and use a specific ruleset.  Story doesn't consume those resources at all or have any restrictions other than what the players and GM agree on. 

This is text book Stormwind Fallacy.

http://rpg.stackexchange.com/questions/22250/what-is-the-stormwind-fallacy