NEWS

Armor Question

• 9 Replies

Zen Shooter

• Newb
« on: <04-05-11/1940:00> »
Let's say my Body 3 character is wearing an armor vest 6/4, a helmet from SR4A pg. 327 +1/2,  and a Securetech PPP Vitals Protector +1/1, for a total of 8/7. Does he suffer a -1 to Agility and Reaction because his Ballistic total is 8, or do the bonuses from the helmet and vitals protector not count for purposes of the Agility and Reaction penalties?

In short, do armor pieces that add a bonus, not an armor rating, count against the Agility and Reaction penalty?

James McMurray

• Omae
« Reply #1 on: <04-05-11/1959:21> »
Yes, you suffer the penalty.
Need a random generator?  Click here.

Check out our campaign.

Charybdis

• Ace Runner
  • If it's last name is Dragon, first name Great: RUN
« Reply #2 on: <04-05-11/2225:19> »
Yes, you suffer the penalty.
Ditto. Time to raise'em dem' attributes.

However, the SecureTechPPP I don't think counts (something about not adding to encumbrance rules? Or am I thinking Form-Fit?)

But this still leaves you at 7/6 armour, which is still over that (2xBod) limit.
'Too much is never enough'

Current PC: Free Spirit (Norse Shamanic)
'Names are irrelevant. Which fake ID do you want me to quote from?'

Phreak Commandment V:
If Thou Be In School, Strive To Get Thine Self Good Grades, For The Authorities Well Know That Scholars Never Break The Law

James McMurray

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <04-05-11/2235:55> »
Securetech counts for encumberance. Form fitting also counts, but it only counts 1/2. I'm sure you could find a combination of FFBA and normal armor that would give you 8 ballistic but not encumber you. No book handy but FFBA 4/2, a leather jacket (2/2?), and some securetach pieces should get you close to 8/7, though it'll probably cost a little more.

Check out our campaign.

Medicineman

• Ace Runner
« Reply #4 on: <04-06-11/0103:30> »
Let's say my Body 3 character is wearing an armor vest 6/4, a helmet from SR4A pg. 327 +1/2,  and a Securetech PPP Vitals Protector +1/1, for a total of 8/7. Does he suffer a -1 to Agility and Reaction because his Ballistic total is 8, or do the bonuses from the helmet and vitals protector not count for purposes of the Agility and Reaction penalties?

In short, do armor pieces that add a bonus, not an armor rating, count against the Agility and Reaction penalty?
He suffers -2 to AGI and REA
because his BAL is 2 over the Top and his Impact Armor is 1 over the Top and each entry gives -1 to both AGI and REA

with both Dances
Medicineman
http://english.bouletcorp.com/2013/08/02/the-long-journey/
---------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1V7fi5IqYw
---------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RYlAPjyNm8

Karasin Black

• Newb
« Reply #5 on: <04-06-11/0342:56> »

He suffers -2 to AGI and REA
because his BAL is 2 over the Top and his Impact Armor is 1 over the Top and each entry gives -1 to both AGI and REA

with both Dances
Medicineman

Actually only the highest armor value counts.

Quote from: Shadowrun FAQ
Can you stack armor implants (Dermal Armor, Bone Lacing, etc.), the Armor spell, Immunity to Normal Weapons, etc.? If so, what counts for encumbrance?

For worn armor, only the highest value (Ballistic or Impact) applies, and any modifications to armor (from spells, augmentations, natural abilities, etc.) are applied in addition to those values. Any worn armor counts for purposes of the armor encumbrance rules (p.161, SR4A); implants and magical spells or powers do not.
« Last Edit: <04-06-11/0344:29> by Karasin Black »
"Wherever there is light, there must be shadow"
- Tao of Shinsei

Kot

• Ace Runner
  • Meaow
« Reply #6 on: <04-06-11/0509:16> »
And again the FAQ faq's up. The Armor spell and any other mystical effects that give armor (Mystic Armor adept power, critter powers, and such) don't count towards encumbrance.
Mariusz "Kot" Butrykowski
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup."

Karasin Black

• Newb
« Reply #7 on: <04-06-11/0624:19> »
And again the FAQ faq's up. The Armor spell and any other mystical effects that give armor (Mystic Armor adept power, critter powers, and such) don't count towards encumbrance.

I'm not a native english speaker, but I think that's just what the last sentence says: "implants and magical spells or powers do not."  ;)
"Wherever there is light, there must be shadow"
- Tao of Shinsei

James McMurray

• Omae
« Reply #8 on: <04-06-11/1057:52> »

I'm not a native english speaker, but I think that's just what the last sentence says: "implants and magical spells or powers do not."  ;)

It is. Reading comprehension rules! :D

Check out our campaign.

Chaemera

• Omae
  • I may be a mouse, but I have a chainsaw.
« Reply #9 on: <04-07-11/0615:32> »
From a reading comprehension perspective, people need to read that FAQ again before applying it to encumbrance calculations:

Quote from: Shadowrun FAQ
Can you stack armor implants (Dermal Armor, Bone Lacing, etc.), the Armor spell, Immunity to Normal Weapons, etc.? If so, what counts for encumbrance?

For worn armor, only the highest value (Ballistic or Impact) applies, and any modifications to armor (from spells, augmentations, natural abilities, etc.) are applied in addition to those values. Any worn armor counts for purposes of the armor encumbrance rules (p.161, SR4A); implants and magical spells or powers do not.

First off, note that the question is about how to calculate armor, with a follow-up on how to calculate encumbrance.

To answer the "How does stacking armor work with implants and magic?" The FAQ answers:

"For worn armor, only the highest value (Ballistic or Impact) applies..." and carries on to talk about adding in modifications to armor from magic, implants &c.

This is a reference back to "Armor and Encumbrance", page 161 of SR4A, where they explain that if you wear two pieces of armor (say, Armor Vest {6/4} and Urban Explorer's Jumpsuit {6/6}) then you don't add their scores, but take the higher Ballistic armor rating and the higher Impact armor rating (for a final armor of 6/6, you might as well not bother with the Armor Vest).

THEN it answers the follow-on question: "What counts for encumbrance?" with

"Any worn armor counts for purposes of the armor encumbrance rules (p.161, SR4A); implants and magical spells or powers do not."

Note it doesn't say, this time, "ballistic or impact", it says any worn armor.

If you don't interpret it that way, and instead assume both sentences refer to encumbrance, then you have a contradiction. The first sentence says "combine the best of your worn armor ratings for ballistic with all armor boosts from non-worn armor sources, and do the same for impact". The second sentence says "for encumbrance, only consider worn armor, ignore non-worn armor sources".
SR20A Limited Edition # 124
Obsidian Portal Profile: http://www.obsidianportal.com/profile/chaemera