NEWS

The Extreme Price of Being an Archer

• 77 Replies

kyoto kid

• Omae
  • Bushido Cowgirl
« Reply #15 on: <06-30-16/1822:34> »
...again, the thinking is Mono Tip arrows are like APDS rounds that grant an extra -4 to the AP.  I do not have Hard Targets and the Chummer Generator does not list the actual statistics for different arrow head types (for some reason they also didn't include the Dynamic Tension Bow either).

Can someone post that info?
Forsaken daughter is watching you

Kiirnodel

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #16 on: <06-30-16/1828:35> »
Well, if you don't have Hard Targets, you probably shouldn't be using it for your Missions character. SRM doesn't really have a rule for "you must have the book you are using rules from" but it's sort of common courtesy to at least have a rules reference for a GM that isn't familiar.

Dynamic Tension Bow is one less accuracy than a normal bow, but you can adjust the strength on it (still from 1-10). Otherwise, it has the same stats as a normal bow. You just are buying an effective Rating 12 bow for the convenience of being able to adjust it.

Monotip Arrows are only an additional -2 AP

kyoto kid

• Omae
  • Bushido Cowgirl
« Reply #17 on: <06-30-16/1914:15> »
...pretty much those who GM in our group have all the books/PDFs already as they get special "agent" bonuses/deals from Catalyst .  Also among all the players  in the group, pretty much all the books are represented.  It takes me a while to save up to get a new PDF as I am on a fixed income.

Thanks for the info on the bow.  Seems the main advantage is if your character uses temporary augmentations like drugs, spells or adept powers. so you don't need several different bows with different ratings.

Wow 30¥ x rating for just another -2 AP?  That's pretty worthless, leads me to wonder if it isn't a typo and instead should be 3¥ x rating.  Is there an errata out yet?

In the meantime, dumping those and of getting more EX as well as Incendiary arrows instead.

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #18 on: <06-30-16/1941:20> »
You DO realize archery is an even more expensive sport then sport shooting today right?

Today, you can drop $100 to $2300 on a rifle, an other $40 to $300 will get you about 100 rounds of fun.

Bows however start at $150 (for something for a child) and go as high as $6000! (For all the bells, whistles, and tech)

Heck the SHAFTS for arrows (not including fletching, OR head!) Start at $6 each and go as high as $35 a shaft!

Fletching starts around $2.00 and again tops out around $24.

Heads cost you anywhere from $2.00 to $25.00 each! And no, not all are reuseable! (Many hunting broadheads expand on entry, causing massive tissue damage and blood loss, but are ruined in the process).

So even today, a single arrow can cost you between $11.00 and $125!

Don't believe me? A simple google search will turn up pricing for hunting supplies.
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Novocrane

• Ace Runner
« Reply #19 on: <06-30-16/2027:13> »
Shadowrun is mostly priced for balance over verisimilitude.

MijRai

• Ace Runner
  • Kane's Understudy
« Reply #20 on: <06-30-16/2056:39> »
It's generally priced for both, in my experience.  Balance becomes more important when it comes to things that don't have mundane, real world equivalents. 
Would you want to go into a place where the resident had a drum-fed shotgun and can see in the dark?

kyoto kid

• Omae
  • Bushido Cowgirl
« Reply #21 on: <06-30-16/2200:55> »
....just discovered something that might be interesting. In looking at the on the arrowhead table in R&G, the only mod that actually increases in price by arrow rating is the static shaft. all other head types simply add to the final cost. So, a rating 8 arrow with a barbed head come to 26¥ (16¥ for the shaft and 10¥ for the arrowhead) that makes sense.  Technically then a rating 8 Mono head arrow should be 46¥ (still high for just a -2 AP increase though yeah, it is monowire which costs 1,000¥ per metre) not 240¥. 

So, what I think I may be running into is an error in the programme. that is calculating the full cost of both the head and shaft against the rating instead of just the base arrow shaft with 30¥ added for the head.

Could someone verify this so I can report it on the Chummer5 thread?.
« Last Edit: <06-30-16/2203:13> by kyoto kid »

Xexanoth

• Chummer
« Reply #22 on: <07-01-16/0525:28> »
Chummer is correct, Monotip arrows costs 30¥xRating....for some reason. Also the only ones sold as arrows instead of arrowheads.
Personally i would simply houserule it into a Monotip Head that costs 30¥ since the "per Rating" cost doesn't make any sense compared to the other arrowheads and their bonuses.

kyoto kid

• Omae
  • Bushido Cowgirl
« Reply #23 on: <07-01-16/0653:51> »
...yeah as finally able to get a look at Hard Targets and that's the way it's listed as well. Why would anyone purchase something so expensive  (at rating 10, three times the cost of a Depleted Uranium round) that only grants an extra -2 AP?  If the AP increased with the rating, then yes, the higher cost would make perfect sense..

I still would like to think that is a typo that will be fixed once (if) an errata is released.

Herr Brackhaus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #24 on: <07-01-16/1042:47> »
Xexanoth
Since this is for a Missions character, houserules isn't an option.

Kyoto kid
I would recommend posting in the Living Campaign FAQ post; Banshee and the FAQ guys are typically good about getting back to people with questions like this, either directly or by including it in the next FAQ update.

kyoto kid

• Omae
  • Bushido Cowgirl
« Reply #25 on: <07-01-16/1820:27> »
...I would think it makes more sense to address what might be a possible error in one of the published books to Catalyst rather than the Missions coordinators as it affects both home grown and Missions campaigns.  Just don't know where or how to do that.

MijRai

• Ace Runner
  • Kane's Understudy
« Reply #26 on: <07-01-16/2043:02> »
...I would think it makes more sense to address what might be a possible error in one of the published books to Catalyst rather than the Missions coordinators as it affects both home grown and Missions campaigns.  Just don't know where or how to do that.

The track record of trying to get things fixed by Catalyst has been rather sub-par as of yet, which is why people focus towards going through other avenues first. 
Would you want to go into a place where the resident had a drum-fed shotgun and can see in the dark?

Herr Brackhaus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #27 on: <07-01-16/2116:31> »
Yeah, good luck with getting an official clarification from Catalyst in the form of Errata. Since you specified that this is a Missions character, you have a great avenue of approach in the Missions FAQ, which is as close to offficial as you're likely to get at this point. Just saying...

kyoto kid

• Omae
  • Bushido Cowgirl
« Reply #28 on: <07-01-16/2340:54> »
...I wasn't aware that the Missions FAQ also served as a forum for errata.

I will take this matter there,

Herr Brackhaus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #29 on: <07-02-16/0027:40> »