NEWS

Movies w/ SR Themes

• 29 Replies

AJCarrington

• Global Moderator
  • Ace Runner
« on: <01-28-13/1844:36> »
Rather than necro the old thread, figured I's start a new one to cover movies w/ SR themes.  Saw a great one on a flight last week: The Thieves, a Korean heist movie that has a little bit of everything in it.  Netflix indicates that it is due to release mi-Feb 2012...highly recommend it.

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #1 on: <02-11-13/0451:30> »
Watching 'Lockout' right now.  The start is very Shadowrun-like, and the lead character is an absolute dead-pan comedian.  "Any message from my father?"  "Yeah, you're adopted."
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

Cherno

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <02-11-13/0514:10> »
I always thought that Harley Davidson & The Marlboro Man was very Shadowrun-like. On the outside it's just a comedic action flic, but think about it:

A ruthless corporation with a corrupt exec in his high-rise office overlooking the city.
Said corp has a squad of trained killers with SOTA assault rifles (Steyr AUG) at their disposal, they act like cyberpsychos, going in a straight file steadily marching forward and blasting away, and they even wear heavy kevlar coats!
A new kind of highly-lethal drug.
Our heroes who first are in it for the money to help out a friend, but later just try to survive and get the guy responsible for their friends' deaths.

AJCarrington

• Global Moderator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #3 on: <02-11-13/0653:32> »
Added to my Netflix queue...  ;D

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #4 on: <02-11-13/1224:07> »
Runaway deals with killer drones.  ;D

It also has Tom Selleck and Gene Simmons.  ;D
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #5 on: <02-11-13/1226:05> »
Rising Sun also deals with Japanacorps and some of the situations you have to deal with.  The culture differences are heavily shown in this, although I'll have to ask my buddy how accurate they are when he gets back from Japan where he was teaching English.

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

AJCarrington

• Global Moderator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #6 on: <02-11-13/1708:57> »
Would be interesting to get his input.  I remember the movie...enjoyed it quite a bit.  However, it never struck me as a true "representation" of Japancorps, but rather the Hollywood version (not that I would necessarily be able to tell the difference ;D)

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #7 on: <02-11-13/2009:27> »
At the very least, it does show how culture can be a massive difference.

My group ran into the Yaks recently, and everyone had to hold the Troll Beefstick (And Wheelman) back when the Yak Boss snubbed him badly.

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

darken92

• Newb
« Reply #8 on: <04-10-13/0136:40> »
Ronin strikes me ae the most SR movie around.

mtfeeney = Baron

• Ace Runner
  • I love crunchy numbers
« Reply #9 on: <04-10-13/0431:14> »
More than Johnny Mnemonic?
Remember, you don't have to kill the vehicle to stop it, just kill the guy driving it.

Hellion

• Omae
« Reply #10 on: <04-10-13/0727:43> »
Bladerunner  (IMHO the film that anyone even vaguely is into cyberpunk/shadowrun should watch)
Its not the victors who write the history books, its the suvivors

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #11 on: <04-10-13/2206:03> »
Bladerunner and Johnny Mnemonic are excellent choices. Also, Hackers, while clearly being dated, is a good example of a shadowrun.

Some other good choices:
Lawnmower Man 1&2 - Corp does an experiment on a mentally challenged man, and turns him into a virutal god. A vengeful virtual god.
Ghost in the Shell - If I have to explain, you need to watch it.
Akira - Barrens living at its finest. Oh yeah, and you also have people with strange powers blowing up the joint.
S-cry-ed - Another anti-establishment themed anime, dealing with people who have powers called 'Alters' and the government that wants to control them for its own ends.
The Italian Job - If that isn't a Shadowrun, I don't know what is.
Ocean's Eleven - Another brilliant example.
The Sting - Old school long con. And damn good movie to boot.
License to Kill - Of all the Bond movies, this one is the most like a shadowrun, as Bond goes on a mission of revenge to get the person who tried to kill his friend.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

PeterSmith

• Ace Runner
« Reply #12 on: <04-10-13/2354:12> »
Also, Hackers, while clearly being dated, is a good example of a shadowrun.

Hackers? No. Sneakers? Yes.
Power corrupts.
Absolute power is kinda neat.

"Peter Smith has the deadest of deadpans and a very sly smile, making talking to him a fun game of keeping up and slinging the next subtle zinger." - Jason M. Hardy, 3 August 2015

Crunch

• Ace Runner
« Reply #13 on: <04-10-13/2359:50> »
I have to drop in to mention New Rose Hotel the only good movie based on a Gibson novel. Password:Swordfish is an excellent cyberpunk themed movie as well. Strange Days while dated, is probably the best of the lot however.

Hellion

• Omae
« Reply #14 on: <04-11-13/0656:25> »
To some degree I would suggest face off, total recall and any movie Jason statham in which he plays a driver sort of character a good basis for a shadowrun mission or idea....
Its not the victors who write the history books, its the suvivors