NEWS

Have any of you played a PbP for more than a month and DIDN'T lose any players?

• 14 Replies

Poindexter

• Prime Runner
  • If you lack empathy, you are worthless.
« on: <04-16-15/1849:05> »
I'm seriously about to give up on this board after being in i dont even KNOW how many games that petered out due to some rude motherfucker/s just dippin out without sayin shit to anyone.
"speaking out loud"
<<matrix actions/communication>>
thought
astral
subvocal/whispering
non-english

HydroRaven

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <04-16-15/1919:53> »
Look at New Beginnings/ New Beginnings-Horizon. We had 2 dropouts but there has been a core of 5 players that has been playing together for over 2 years, and we're on our second mission there. So I am thankful for all the players there and for the GM, Crossbow, for sticking with us and being loyal to the game :)
Self thought
Speech
Matrix

Malevolence

• Ace Runner
  • Matrix Addict
« Reply #2 on: <04-16-15/1936:56> »
It's frustrating, I agree. Usually, though, that early in the game it is easy to replace players. It's when the GMs drop out that the games die on the vine.

Once you make it past that first month or so, players tend to be pretty stable I think. However, some players possibly underestimate how long a PbP goes on and then have to drop out for school or whatever a few months later. Checking the boards almost daily for 6+ months is an investment that many "newbies" don't count on. But yeah, when they don't so much as leave a message explaining that they are dropping out or taking a hiatus, it sucks.
Speech Thought Matrix/Text Astral

Triskavanski

• Ace Runner
« Reply #3 on: <04-16-15/2133:56> »
Its also disheartening when suddenly the person in question completely drops off the face of the earth. Like, he doesn't come to boards anymore. Doesn't log into skype. Like they dont' even exist anymore
Concepts are great, but implementation sucks. Why not improve it?

Triskavanski's House Rules

Poindexter

• Prime Runner
  • If you lack empathy, you are worthless.
« Reply #4 on: <04-16-15/2145:06> »
Its also disheartening when suddenly the person in question completely drops off the face of the earth. Like, he doesn't come to boards anymore. Doesn't log into skype. Like they dont' even exist anymore

^^THIS^^
"speaking out loud"
<<matrix actions/communication>>
thought
astral
subvocal/whispering
non-english

Crossbow

• Prime Runner
« Reply #5 on: <04-16-15/2229:12> »
Look at New Beginnings/ New Beginnings-Horizon. We had 2 dropouts but there has been a core of 5 players that has been playing together for over 2 years, and we're on our second mission there. So I am thankful for all the players there and for the GM, Crossbow, for sticking with us and being loyal to the game :)

Thanks Hydro, you guys deserve as much of the credit as I do, hell, probably more considering how many times I have dropped out for days at a time, and how bad I am with the rules sometimes.

Expectations are a big part, I started my game knowing this was a long term commitment, and I have kept at it.  I have also done everything I possibly can to make it easy on myself, like running a published module and keeping any offline hard feeling to a minimum by addressing things that seem to be going haywire.

I think I was also very lucky that I decided not to try and trim down the initial group of 8 (9?) I started with and did my best to make people feel invested in their characters before we ever got started.  I figured when I did that we would have some driftaways, but still enough after that to keep running.

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #6 on: <04-17-15/0045:40> »
So far, Deep Black Sea still has 4 of 4 players. There have been a few short breaks, due to RL interference, but those were made known in advance.
It helped that I started the game after the same group lost their GM and a player, so I had the dedicated hard core to work with.  :)
talk think matrix

To strive, to seek, to find and not to yield
Revenant Kynos Isaint Rex

obidancer

• Omae
« Reply #7 on: <04-17-15/0143:15> »
I must say, loosing player can be fixed. Loosing the GM and the game is dead! Happened to me way too many times.
Hat off to all active GM out there who stick with their players!

That being said, as a GM I like to plot around the PC's background and when some players started to go missing, it kind of killed the game....
Rick Deckard - Circles of Fate
Kachina - Shaking the Shadows

JackVII

• Prime Runner
  • Ah-ah... Temper, Temper
« Reply #8 on: <04-17-15/1030:06> »
Everyone should feel bad for Obidancer, IMO. He did some pretty great character art for us in one game and the GM almost immediately quit after that...

Start HERE and keep scrolling through, he even did a scene...

I've been in... five games here? Three died because the GM disappeared (two inexplicably, one from an apparent disagreement with a player). I left one game on my own terms, but I let the GM know. The last was due to cycling through 10 PCs in about six months. You can only suspend disbelief for so long sometimes, especially when you're kind of deep into a run.
|DTG|Place|Address in Brackets
"Dialogue"
PC/NPC Names
>>Matrix/Comm
"Astral"
<<Text/Email>>
Thoughts/Subvocal

Aria

• Ace Runner
« Reply #9 on: <04-17-15/1230:05> »
As a GM, (probably even the GM Jack mentioned :P) I do my best to keep player involvement up and try to write things so that each poster isn't waiting for someone else (that really can be a killer), which granted isn't always possible as SR is meant to be a team effort.  It's also why I keep recruitment live at all times because despite efforts people do leave the game for whatever reason and I don't want my efforts wasted.  It's great to get a hardcore player on board and I'm lucky enough to have one at the moment but RL still trumps RP (reluctantly  ::))

I'm trying something new with my latest recruitment drive and I will have 2-3 small flexible teams working on a complicated multi part run.  Hopefully I can inject enough action (and keep things short and snappy) for lots of people to shine and gloss over a PCs absence too...we'll see ;D
Excel Cha Generators <<CG5.26>> & <CG6.xx> v36

Jayde Moon

• Administrator
  • Ace Runner
  • Shadowrun Missions Developer
« Reply #10 on: <04-17-15/1655:03> »
I have a great interest in playing a PbP, but haven't found one to play in, really.

I tried Aria's, a great storyteller and very ambitious, but some aspects of the style didn't fit with what I was looking for.

Other than that, I feel like there are rarely any new games coming up that don't just get filled up by guys who are already playing multiple games.  I'm on the forums a lot and have plenty of time to obsessively check through posts, but haven't found anything open to try to be a part of.

That said, if anyone feels like they want to GM something, give me a ping.
That's just like... your opinion, man.

obidancer

• Omae
« Reply #11 on: <04-17-15/1711:23> »
@JackVII thanks! That game had a promising start! That was the most action I had on a shadowrun pbp :)
It is a waste indeed, but nothing to feel sorry about. I do provide art usually in the hope to encourage all the fellow players to stick around. I believe a good visual always encourage playing your character... then the GM leave, bummer :)

@Aria, I think I'd like to resurrect the Frenchman character and apply to your campaign.

@Jayde Moon, @Pointdexter had an open recruitment, some newly applied player seemed to be AWOL already, maybe you can give it a shot.
Rick Deckard - Circles of Fate
Kachina - Shaking the Shadows

gradivus

• Ace Runner
« Reply #12 on: <04-17-15/1718:37> »
I try to post every day... unfortunately I got hacked and the police have my router and home computer as evidence... so i have to go out with my chromebook to find wifi and it's not always convenient. That being said, if you don't like the way a game is going it's not a crime to drop out...but you should have the good manners to let the gm/fellow players know..
"Speech" Thought >>Matrix<< Astral

Jayde Moon

• Administrator
  • Ace Runner
  • Shadowrun Missions Developer
« Reply #13 on: <04-17-15/1722:51> »
Thanks, obidancer.
That's just like... your opinion, man.

Aria

• Ace Runner
« Reply #14 on: <04-17-15/1735:20> »
Thanks, obidancer.
And you'd be welcome back to my CoP game if you fancied it?  Let me know what bothered you about the play style and I'll try and tweak it, play's only as good as its players and I like to keep mine sweet  ;D seriously, feedback is always welcome, nobody ever gets it right for everyone but there's no harm in trying!

@Aria, I think I'd like to resurrect the Frenchman character and apply to your campaign.
You'd be very welcome!
Excel Cha Generators <<CG5.26>> & <CG6.xx> v36